Gibson Brands Forums

So my J-45 TV shows up today and I think its a keeper.

chipss36

Some surprises and initial thoughts...

I play electric and classical, the neck is tiny compared to my classical’s, will take some time to get used to.

The finish is not high gloss, has an almost matt finish, I love that, fits with this guitar very well I think.

Sound wise I feel it sounds just like I thought it would, and its just had a trip from new york to around lafayette la, the surprise to me is how well it has held its tune, I expected a few days of strangeness,

after a flight, my classical's go haywire...and need a few days to settle, was tuned down a one step out of the box, came up to pitch and it has almost stayed right there. Within a few cents....killer

The top is very open grained, looks like this tree was growing pretty fast, is this the way red spruce grows? Or did I just not get a tight grained top? Ether way I am good it sounds great and will be even better in a few years I am sure.

The bridge surprised me in that it was made of 2 pieces of wood, but then again its fitting for this guitar and its history...a tip of the hat to its beginnings.

Action feels fine to me, tone is just like I though it would be, but I must say I don’t have much experience with acoustics, no buzzing, intonation is good, neck relief is about the same way I set up my electrics, just a tad of bow in it,

I have looked this guitar over with a fine tooth comb and find no flaws, is easy to play, the tone already is like a fine Bordeaux, everything balanced ,

note separation, string balance, my god the sustain on this thing...wow....

gonna take awhile to get to using a guitar of this caliber down, find my self letting cords ring out and just listen, and then my tempo's off...lol love it...

very pleased, thanks Gibson folks, and zz-sounds and your12-payment plan, ya;ll made it happen for me...

chip

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool! Looks pretty much like mine......'cept it's backwards. Apparently the factory misses the pickguard placement on all of these, laying it over the rosette. It does look better with it outside the ring but I haven't moved mine. Two piece bridge?! What's up with that? Never seen that before, but there does appear to be a lamination line in your photo. Kind of strange. Enjoy the new guitar!!

The guitar looks nice, but I have never seen a laminated bridge on a Gibson. What's with that? I'm not really sure that's acceptable aesthetically, even though it should be a non-issue structurally. Are they just using up scrap pieces of wood now, or what?

Anybody else ever seen this?

Adidirondack spruce is generally wider grained than Sitka or other spruces; mine is the same. Mine has a bit of bear claw in it too but only when the light hits it right. It's my understanding that an Adidirondack top is slower to open up than others as well, boding well for the future. I sure love the crisp attack of the sound, wherever it comes from!

Buc is right: adi spruce has a wider grain than sitka, so this is normal.

I enlarged the photo as much as possible, and it sure looks like a laminated bridge to me. The grain seems to change direction completely. WTF?

Man, the J45 is sure popular.

Glad to read that you like it - looks like a great J45.

Congrats. . B)

I'm also curious about the laminated bridge - looks like laminated to make the depth. I wonder if Jeremy or Vince would comment on this. As Nick wrote, I've never seen a laminated bridge on a Gibson before either.

Pass me the salt along with Zantac when you've confirmed its a laminated bridge.

I'll eat my shorts as an appetizer as well :rolleyes:

Harmonics101

Added - where in that picture do you see a laminated brige ?? Guys, your making my right leg longer !! [cursing]

Well the OP mentioned it in his post.

Look to either side of the pin plateau and you'll make out a line there about half way down the slope on both sides - looks laminated to make the depth of the bridge in two pieces. A close look and you'll see where the grain changes direction.

BigKahune, you have very good eyes.

Sounds to me its more likely that would be a crack in the bridge than a laminated bridge.

There is NO way Gibson is manufacturing laminated bridges and not stating that in the specs.

No [cursing] way,

Harmonics101

How is that laminated? All I see is wood grain, i.e., growth lines demarcated by darker bands.... Looks solid.

Look at the last pic the OP posted above in comment #13. You can see the seam/joint between the two pieces.

Two pieces of rosewood were glued together to make a thicker blank and then the bridge was milled from the blank. Two pieces glued together is a laminated piece (doesn't have to be plywood).

And thanks Chips - that bridge is fine, just very usual and we're curious about it.

I wonder if perhaps your J45TV is one of those made special for ZSounds. I know that Guitar Center has had some made just for them that didn't not come with things like the Tan/Pink case. Did yours come in a black/blue case?

Pass me the salt along with Zantac when you've confirmed its a laminated bridge.

I'll eat my shorts as an appetizer as well :rolleyes:

Harmonics101

Added - where in that picture do you see a laminated brige ?? Guys, your making my right leg longer !! [cursing]

It looks to me like the vertical height of the bridge is made up of two thinner slices, the way I read the grain pattern.

Very obvious in this picture. Not sure if this is an isolated case? Probably the new norm with all the politics concerning wood! Ain,t it great to be green? [crying]

The only reason to do this would be to use wood pieces that would otherwise be thrown away. It's an extra step to glue two thin pieces together like this to make a thicker piece. It makes no sense at all to me.

Archived