Gibson Brands Forums

So my J-45 TV shows up today and I think its a keeper.

chipss36

Bring it to a qualified guitar tech to have it checked out OR / AND send it back to Gibson for a full refund.

Its pretty much a no brainer.

No need to hash this over in a long winded thread about nuthin'

B)

Harmonics101

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring it to a qualified guitar tech to have it checked out OR / AND send it back to Gibson for a full refund.

Its pretty much a no brainer.

No need to hash this over in a long winded thread about nuthin'

B)

Harmonics101

Huh I think this thread is rather interesting.

I can't imagine Gibson using a laminated bridge. Looking forward to Jeremy's thoughts.

Huh I think this thread is rather interesting.

I can't imagine Gibson using a laminated bridge. Looking forward to Jeremy's thoughts.

Agree completely. I'd like to know what's going on here.

And, Harmonics 101, would you you like some ketchup on that Martin, along with some salt on those shorts?

When I use control + to magnify that bridge picture it seems like there is a bevel on the bridge where you see more of the end grain but looks like the same piece of wood to me. I would be surprised, amazed even, if they are now laminating the bridge. The bridge is very important for transmission of sound from strings to top; seems inconceivable. And why try to save money on such a small piece in such a visible location? I have trouble believing it could be laminated, unless something was done post-factory.

When I use control + to magnify that bridge picture it seems like there is a bevel on the bridge where you see more of the end grain but looks like the same piece of wood to me. I would be surprised, amazed even, if they are now laminating the bridge. The bridge is very important for transmission of sound from strings to top; seems inconceivable. And why try to save money on such a small piece in such a visible location? I have trouble believing it could be laminated, unless something was done post-factory.

thank you for posting that before I had to! but I did get a few yucks out of what was going on! :-" \:D/

IMO....it is laminated from 2 pcs.

Exactly the same as on my 2011 Hummingbird True Vintage....

It may not be a bad thing considering that the pins are sooooo close to the edge on the belly up bridge. It may be an attempt to strengthen it, and it seems to me it would be less prone to cracking lengthwise.

I dunno.......seems like it would be stronger to me.

Doesn't bother me.........well it did for a bit, but now it doesn't...... :P

The sound of this guitar is pure goodness, seriously, there is nooooo way I would return or exchange it.

Mine is most certainly 2 pcs, in the bottom pic you can see the glue line. There is no 'bevel' where the 'line' is, it is all one curve.

6621897879_5a8e605856_b.jpg

DSC_6150 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

6621892331_9f03da26e2_b.jpg

DSC_6147 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

6621892941_34ced3c861_b.jpg

DSC_6146 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

As far as 'sound transmission to the top', I dont see that as an issue.

The saddle slot is deep, the bottom of the saddle is sitting directly on the part that is glued to the top.

The overall difference, to me, is merely aesthetics.

btw.....DuluthDan's looks to me like all one piece. The OP's is a 2 pc like mine.

The thing is they are marketing this thing as 'true vintage' but as far as I know no vintage one ever had this spec. It amounts to a downgrade of quality in favor of utilizing more wood and saving money I suppose. I just can't understand that on a professional grade guitar like Gibson Acoustic. And the TV's are premium models. (shakes head)

I'm in doubt – 2 pieces would surprise me. Isn't the bridges made from rosewood and isn't rose a bit flame-grained. That would mean changes in the patterns for different layers.

bobby b – I look at my TV Bird and it's the most one piece work of carpentry ever to emerge on a guitar.

Are you sure – if yes, it seems we have a double situation. Is that called inconsistency. ..

I'm in doubt – 2 pieces would surprise me. Isn't the bridges made from rosewood and isn't rose a bit flame-grained. That wound mean changes in the patterns for different layers.

bobby b – I look at my TV Bird and it's the most one piece work of carpentry ever to emerge on a guitar.

Are you sure – if yes, it seems we have a double situation. Is that called inconsistency. ..

Oh yes, I'm sure alright. No doubt at all....mine is two pcs.

I can add more pics if ya like, but trust me ....it's 2 pcs.

Methinks the issues that Gibson has had with imported woods recently, may have caused these types of changes to 'spec'.

Hmmmmm......laminate fingerboards too.

http://www2.gibson.com/Support/FAQ-Tonewoods.aspx

This is huge. I think Ferguson-era Gibsons just got more valuable. The laminated fretboards strike me as a huge gamble. They probably have no examples more than a few months old and little idea how it will age. The fretboard is hugely important in the sound quality.

Unreal. Folks it is what it is, 2 pc, lam bridge, and its no optical illusion, there is no wood in nature that has a dead strait line in it....and grain changes direction.

I video taped the unboxing of the guitar, it came from gibson this way, in a sealed gibson box. Showing it was shipped from Montana to zzounds....ect

but I will not chase my tail here to prove this, I am gonna play my new guitar I am very happy with.

Two examples have been given here, clearly showing this,

and this is a whole lot to do about nothing, bobby and I have clearly shown 2 pc bridges on are guitars, bobby and I both are not sending are guitars back and are happy with them. I not sure about bobby but to suggest I would have done this some how, is well, just not true, I can carve a bone bridge or nut on a good day, and am good with electronics, build my own tube amps, and stuff, but I could not carve a whole bridge, unbox a guitar, Change the whole bridge out, tune it up and take photos to bash my first ever gibson I am happy with? And do so with in the first day I unboxed it....come guys...

Some of you are pissing me off because my own integrity is in question, and your crossing a line with me there, I am a hard working man that just sent a bunch of money here.

The gibson guitar company needs to confess of this 2pc bridge laminated fact, for the the sake of there own integrity.

The bridge does not bother me, why? One the tone is there for me, two there are j-45's out there with 4 pc tops! They and they sound great, this guitar was conceived during a major shortage of wood in the usa....laminated wood on a j-45 is for sure not a new thing...

now the drunk s.o.b. Putting pick guards on wrong, that for sure bothers me, the radius

of the misplaced guard does not line up right as installed by the gibson factory, it does line up perfect to the rosette in its historically correct position....but I knew that before

I got into this guitar and its an easy fix.

Gibson the pick guard is in the wrong spot, don’t give rats behind what cha say, it is, its in the wrong spot, due to fit and historically speaking, and no I am not buying a legend to get this corrected, I will however put a firestripe just like the legend in the correct spot and think every one should.....ya have a good thing going with the j-45, but yall are pushing it.

Back to playing,,,

muhahahaha

Oh yes, I'm sure alright. No doubt at all....mine is two pcs.

I can add more pics if ya like, but trust me ....it's 2 pcs.

I begin to believe you – the big pics support you.

In that case we/you have discovered something important.

The mighty looking-glass of this Board has once again shown its strength.

Does anyone think they could hear that? In a group of 10 TV's could anyone claim to hear a 2 piece bridge? I really have my doubts.... I dare say the glue used is probably stronger than the wood too.

If owners are happy, I don't really see a problem.

Archived