Gibson Brands Forums

Best strap lock?

latebloomer

I searched the forums for "strap lock" and got a whole bunch of results that...apparently had nothing to do with strap locks. So here I post a question I thought I could easily have found an answer to. Oh well.

Simply, I'm looking for direct-fit strap locks for my 2010 SG Classic. I have a set of locks -- invented by a guitar teacher, if I recall -- that fit over the stock pins after the strap is put on, and they do the job, but they're also kinda clunky.

Any suggestions?

Get some Schaller strap locks. You'll have to "shim" the existing holes with bits of a toothpick and some wood glue.

I agree. I love the Schallers, and thanks for the tip. I wanted to move the Schallers I had on my old guitar onto the SG61 I just got, and wondered if there are different ones for the Gibson's bigger strap button screws. The Schallers are great because I only put my strap on when I'm actually going to use it, so the Schallers make it easy to clip on. Very secure, too.

The ones I use are very cheap round pieces of nylon that just slip tightly over the strap ends. They are about $2 a pair, they are available on Ebay, and they work great with no alteration to the guitar. They are a very good, cheap and simple solution...I have about 6 pairs of them and never had one fail.

mark

• 2 years later...

johnny_marr-gal-guitar.jpg

grolsch...

agreed. i have always used the grolsh method.... until i got a les paul with the UFO/mushroom cloud strap pegs. the grolsh gaskets don't fit over these. these type of pegs work fine if you want to replace your strap about every two weeks. my SG allows the strap to stay on even when in the case. the LP not so much. it fits in the case so tight that there isn't even enough room for the strap to stay on. haha. i just ordered the dunlop strap locks but i don't want to drill into a new gibson.... i'm thinking about replacing the UFO pegs with standard pegs just so i can use the gaskets. but you are right. gaskets are all one would need. plus you get strap locks and beer.... =D>

i was also wondering if just grinding down the outside edges of the head on the original screw would help one not have to drill. a screw is much cheaper and easier to replace than an entire guitar.

I have many sets of Schallers and one set of Dunlop.

The Dunlop set and one of the schallers are from the mid 80's and still work perfectly

I choose the schallers for the (at least in my head) theory that even if the mechanical part fails, the weight of the guitar will still help keep the strap on and hopefully I would notice the mechanical failure before the guitar fell.

That being said, the schallers I have that are 20+ years old have NEVER had a problem with the mechanical pins.

NHTom

The grolsch washers are a cool idea, but you can't get the strap off (am I missing something or am I right?) and if I'm right, well you don't want to leave the strap on all the time. You don't want or need finish damage from the strap making prolonged contact with the guitar body or neck. it's nitro, it's going to happen, and there's no room for a leather or suede strap in an SG case!

Seriously, everyone has their favorite solution here, the schalers IMO are the best of the lot, you can use the same screw that the Stock buttons are secured with.

I've been using them forever, they have never given me trouble. You do want to make sure that you have the strap parts tight, and correctly orientated, (they should be looking like a U, where the strap button sits in the bottom of the U with the opening always facing UP...)

Archived