Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended leather straps

latebloomer

Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I can't seem to get the answers I need using the "search forum" box this morning.

I'm a beginner who is trying to start playing while standing up. I bought a super cheap strap -- nylon webbing, I believe -- at the local guitar store, and using it I get the infamous SG neck dive big time. From what I have read online before, the use of leather straps seems to prevent this.

What brands/model ought I consider? I'd prefer black, minimum or no bling, and would like to keep the price around $50 if possible.

I have a black leather strap with a suede lining on the inside of it by Cool Straps. It was a bit pricey if you ask me but it works great. I also have a Levys leather strap that is leather without suede on the inside but I have not had any problems with the neck dive thing, Tim

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the Levy's garment leather m26 from amazon.

Good choice, I had the opportunity to meet the owner about 10yrs ago when he was still peddling his wares personally.

every strap I have bought since is a Levy's.

I have a split suede for my SG, which I am lucky, because my SG is pretty well balanced to begin with.

but yeah that sucker doesn't move unless I move it.

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

A few years a go I bought a few Gibson Logo Leather Straps and they work fine, have held up well and are easy to adjust. The Levy's are nice and there are a few others out there. I prefer the padded leather for comfort. No skinny nylon straps that cuts into you after a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up this Levy's suede with an intesting embroidered design that works nicely at GC.

strap_SG.jpg

My wife (with my hints) had a Moodys strap made for me for my R8 some years back. They are nice but way pricey. Not that Levys are cheap either.....

I have a rule for straps: they must be made with only leather & other SOFT materials and have no metal or hard plastic buckles or end pieces. I like to leave them on when I put the guitars back in their cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived