Trans Black

Desert Burst (L/H Option)

Fireball (L/H Option)

Honeyburst (L/H Option)

Heritage Cherry Sunburst (L/H Option)

Lightburst (L/H Option)

Trans Amber (L/H Option)

Tea Burst (L/H Option)

Gibson have just announced the latest upgrade to the Les Paul range with the new 2012 versions of the iconic Les Paul Standard. Alongside the 3 new colours Trans Amber ,Fireburst and Trans Ebony the 2012 Les Paul Standards have seen an overhaul to the electronics to make the guitar much more versatile and allow various configurations of the pickups to give a much broader sonic pallete.

Each of the Traditional Volume and Tone controls now offer a push pull function that unlocks even more potential in this guitar. You have the choice of switching between the classic Humbuckers to Single Coils on each pickup, You can choose to run both the pickups alongside each other in or out of phase and you can even send the Bridge pickup straight to the Jack output so you have an loud and bright unloaded signal.

So if you were considering buying a Gibson Les Paul Standard you now have new guitars to choose that look and sound different from previous models. Stand out it in more than one way.

The New Les Paul Standard 2012 from Gibson sees new colours and new controls added to the classic design from Gibson. The new controls allow the Les Paul to be more flexible than they have been before.

Each of the traditional volume and tone controls now offer a push pull coil-tapping function that gives you loads more sonic options to your sound. The volume control's push pull function allows you to choose between single coil and humbucker sounds on the bridge and neck pickups. The neck pickup tone control acts as phase switch when using both pickups, and the bridge pickup tone control acts as pure bypass switch that allows you to send the bridge pickup directly to the jack output for an unloaded signal straight out of your guitar!

It's not just the electronics that have changed, the 2012 Les Paul Standard features Gibson's "Modern" weight relief system that reduces the overall weight of the guitar without compromising on that classic Les Paul sound, The 60's profile neck is finished with a compound radius rosewood fingerboard.

All in all, the 2012 Les Paul Standard represents a stellar improvement on a guitar that we all already knew had some of the most popular sounds and looks in all of electric guitar history.

So from the above it looks like a Weight Relived "Traditional" with Kidney Grovers, 60's Neck With the functionality:

Coil Tapping Both Pickups

Phasing (Peter Green) the neck pickup

But the interesting part is the DIRECT TO JACK option

The only downer is the "Layered" Rosewood fretboard instead of what I heard would be Granadillo...

Just some MORE info:

Pickup selector switch

#Up: neck pickup

#Center: both pickups

#Down: bridge pickup

Humbucking/single coil switch (volume control push-pulls)

The volume controls for each pickup are also push-pull switches which offer a choice of either humbucking or single coil operation for each pickup.

#Up: single coil

#Down: humbucking

Note: this design also provides for a more balanced output between the humbucking and single coil modes. In single coil mode, the pickups are reverse wound/reverse polarity which offers hum-canceling operation when both pickups are active. Also, due to the unique nature of the circuit, the single coil modes are hum-reducing when used individually.

Phase switch (neck pickup tone push-pull)

Allows choice of in-phase, or out-of-phase operation when both pickups are combined. This is operative in both humbucking and single coil modes of operation.

#Up: out of phase

#Down: in phase

Note: since the neck pickup is affected by the phase switch, it will also determine which coil is operative in the single coil mode.

#Up: outer (screw) coil

#Down: inner (slug) coil

Pure bypass switch (bridge pickup tone push-pull)

Routes the bridge pickup directly to the jack bypassing the pickup selector, volume and tone controls. This feature can be useful as a control "preset", or to obtain full output and brightness from the bridge pickup as there will be no loading from the volume and tone controls. Note: the humbucking/single coil option is still operative for the bridge pickup in pure bypass mode for extra flexibility and control.

#Up: pure bypass

#Down: normal control operation

Extra Pic from "Gibson" News section

messe_Wall-LP-Standards.jpg

Cheers Rabs, heres some more detailed spec from that link:

The Main features of the Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar include:

Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard

AAA Flamed Maple Plus Top (only available on Premium Plus models)

Compound Radius Rosewood Fingerboard

Mahogany Back

22 Fret

60s Neck Profile

New “Modern” Weight Relief

Switchcraft output jack

Locking Grover Kidney Tuners

Burstbucker Pro Pickups

Tone Pros Tune-O-Matic and Stop Bar Tailpiece

2 Push/Pull Volume Controls - Splits from humbucker to single coil

2 Push/Pull Tone Phase Switch - Pure Bypass takes the bridge pickup straight out the jack

Gibson Headstock Logo

Hello Guys! I'm curios about one thing. What does the "New 'modern' weight-relief" means? A pseudonym for "chambered"? Or something new got invented? :-k Nice guitars, anyway. Great thing that they added those push/pull features. Cheers.. Bence

Hello Guys! I'm curios about one thing. What does the "New 'modern' weight-relief" means? A pseudonym for "chambered"? Or something new got invented? :-k Nice guitars, anyway. Great thing that they added those push/pull features. Cheers.. Bence

When they say "Weight-relief" it normally means they swiss cheesed the body to reduce the weight in certain locations.

When they say "Weight-relief" it normally means they swiss cheesed the body to reduce the weight in certain locations.

In the

I saw , they explained it as a new way of chambering. It was described as looking like "spokes" and they said it adds back some of the weight and the instrument is better balanced than with previous chambering.

Wow, I'm very excited. I was going to apply a"blower" switch to my guitars. I'm really excited indeed.

I'm sad to see the asymmetrical neck has been discontinued. Will this include the Tonepros bridge? Locking tuners? Those were awesome appointments.

Will this include the Tonepros bridge? Locking tuners? Those were awesome appointments.

yup... apparently

Locking Grover Kidney Tuners

Burstbucker Pro Pickups

Tone Pros Tune-O-Matic and Stop Bar Tailpiece

And to go with the new standard

NEW Studio WITH COIL SPLITTING (With Granadillo board)

Nice find there GMT, man oh man do I want one of those studios.. assuming I ever get a job again I WILL get one :)

Some more info on the new studios here.. Look at that list of colours.. hubba hubba :)

http://www.dv247.com/search/0/0/ProductQuantity/Descending/gibson+studio+2012/1/

96715_l.jpg

96712_l.jpg

96708_l.jpg

96704_l.jpg

And this is the spec... hummana hummana

•New Gibson 2012 Les Paul Studio

•Mahogany body with a carved Maple top

•'Modern' Neck Relief design

•Mahogany 1960s-style Slim Tapered neck

•Granadillo finerboard with trapezoid inlays

•490R and 498T humbucker pickups

•2 x Volume Controls, 2 x Tone Controls

•Push/Pull Coil Taps on Volume and Tone pots split the humbuckers to single-coils

•3-way pickup selector

•Tune-O-Matic bridge

•Chrome hardware

•Vintage tuners with pearloid buttons

•Black volume and tone pots

•Black plastic pickguard

•Gibson hardshell case included

• 2 weeks later...

Would you say that this is the same as a Jimmy Page set up of splitting coils and phasing pickups or is it a little different? I bought a 2008 Standard Plus this year and would consider trading it in for one of these for the additional sounds.

Would you say that this is the same as a Jimmy Page set up of splitting coils and phasing pickups or is it a little different? I bought a 2008 Standard Plus this year and would consider trading it in for one of these for the additional sounds.

It's a little different. This guitar has two coil splits, phase reversal, and a bridge bypass. Page had two coil splits, phase shifting, and both humbuckers in series.

I don't even know if he still has all these options on his guitar anymore. I know he still has a phase reversal.

Archived