Gibson Brands Forums

NOOB has question about strings

AL1132

Hi there

I used to play classical guitar and has no problem to change the strings

but 2 hours ago I changed my epiphone special model's strings

and I think it's a little bit loose and it sounds weird...

it sounds like strings that haven't been tighten, but the sound E A D G B E is right

my question is... is that normal? or any other issue?

thank you Masters...

Cheers

String guages are usually referred to from the top string thickness...ie, " I use nine guage strings." means the top E string is 9 guage,

and the rest might be, say, 9, 11, 16, 24, 32, 42........There are many variations thereof.......8 guage sets, 10 guage sets, etc etc........

Thinner guages are easier to bend, and feel thinner, as they are thinner.......Electric string users typically use so-called 9 or 10 guage sets...

You'll get a feel for what works best for you..............Congrats on your guitars......You'll get other answers as well................

Different players use different guages of strings. Damian uses 9's. I use 10's.

Others will use 11's or 12's, or bigger. The thicker the strings the stiffer they will feel. The heavier strings will also be harder to bend.

One of the things that happens coming from a classical guitar to an electric, is that your hand will be fairly strong, with a strong grip on the strings. Using the same grip on a guitar with thin strings will sometimes pull the strings out of tune.

Your hand is also used to a wider neck, so going to a guitar with a more narrow neck, it is easy to miss the notes just slightly.

I occasionally have the same thing happen to me when I change from my acoustic to one of my electrics

Remember, a lighter touch is required on the electric.

If you are getting a lot of string buzz, you may have to go to a heavier set of strings, or have the guitars' action set up.

so here's the thing guys

the sound's just fine

It's the first time I changed an electric guitar strings

so here my complaint about my new strings

you guys know when we play electric guitar we can pull our string up that can make the sound higher eh?

I didn't have to pull my previous sting too many to make higher sound

buy my new strings, I try to pull it up but the sound is not enough and always touches the other string above it

I think I tighten them too loose? or the Gauge problem?

please let me know guys

I want my strings back :(

cheers

Firstly I'll assume that the strings are fitted correctly. [tongue]

I think RTH could be on to something, If your strings feel really loose and floppy and have a low pitch then you may indeed just have them tuned to an octave lower than they should be.

Another possibility is that your new strings are a much lower gauge than the ones that were on it before you did the string change....it may be just a case of getting used to them.

and who's to say that the strings that were on the guitar in the first place weren't really really heavy or something.

Did you get this guitar new or second hand?

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum. What music do you like to play?

ya... I think when I changed the strings, I left the space too much and cause it like that

hufh... I should but new strings then... what do you guys recommend for the brand and the gauge for a better string?

I recently like to play songs like Oasis and rock n roll stuff,

I used to be a big fan of punk rock

cheers

LOL...

I bought XL d'addario super light gauge nickel wound

I don't think it's good

but I think it's normal to use this

thank you guys for the advice

ernie ball is too expensive :(

cheers

Well I used 11's with a wound G...so I'm not the best person to ask. Normally D'Addario or PRS (same thing, rebranded). I used to use Ernie's, but I found the tension to be too low, even on the heavier sets. I like high-tension strings.

If you think strings are tuned too low, pop onto youtube and find some tutorial vids about tuning. New electric strings can sound very tinny until they break in and WILL feel different to acoustic strings.

Best of luck searching, and welcome to the show. [thumbup]

p.s. I prefer Elixir Nanoweb .009" - 042" they stay tasty for longer.

If you think strings are tuned too low, pop onto youtube and find some tutorial vids about tuning. New electric strings can sound very tinny until they break in and WILL feel different to acoustic strings.

Best of luck searching, and welcome to the show. [thumbup]

p.s. I prefer Elixir Nanoweb .009" - 042" they stay tasty for longer.

+1 on the Elixers! [thumbup]

What guitar are you referring to? A Acoustic or Electric? What model? For Semi-Hollowbody and full Hollowbody I use DR Blues 10-47. For Strat GHS Pure Nickel Burnished 10-47. Bender heaven. The Dean Markley's are great also. Just put your fingers and ears to the test of what feels/sounds good to you. I've spent some money on strings that had rave reviews, and I personally thought they were Crap. Didn't last long and had to change after a week or two. I always wipe down the neck and strings after playing.Some just don't hold their ground.

I believe the Super Lights are a set of 8's. They would definitely feel floppy compared to almost everything.

If your guitar had a set of 10's on it before, the 8's would also buzz a lot, as the tension on the neck is now reduced substantially.

I believe the Super Lights are a set of 8's. They would definitely feel floppy compared to almost everything.

If your guitar had a set of 10's on it before, the 8's would also buzz a lot, as the tension on the neck is now reduced substantially.

I put 8's on the SG Junior for my daughter's litle fingers. They do buzz a little, but nothing that comes throught he amp when fretted properly. And they have quite a bit less tension that 9's or 10's, but nothing that seems too floppy...to me anyway.

Archived