Gibson Brands Forums

Do they try hard to rap or make it talentless on purpose?

Guest shangbuqi

Guest shangbuqi

You have no guitar player? Get off my stage. You can't sing and want to label yourself a lyricist? Get off my stage. Rap lacks the required skill to play guitar, sing, and cut a good metal record. Metal is the only good music. Rap lacks skill.iPad.gif

I saw Mos Def perform at the Hill Auditorium at the University of Michigan with a live 6 piece band: horns, drums, guitar, and bass. Rap sucks yes, but real hip hop is art. Look at The Roots, hip hop band. What do you think RATM is? Theyre a hip hop band.

I saw Mos Def perform at the Hill Auditorium at the University of Michigan with a live 6 piece band: horns, drums, guitar, and bass. Rap sucks yes, but real hip hop is art. Look at The Roots, hip hop band. What do you think RATM is? Theyre a hip hop band.

Indeed. I saw The Roots play several years ago, and was blown away. I'm not a fan of rap music, but there's plenty of talent in the hip hop world. The Jay Z/Roots Unplugged album is one of my favorites.

Ah, rap and guitar forums, this old chestnut again... some thoughts to ponder on...

- That's what them 'white folks' thought about blues too back in the day, before it caught on.... now we're here!

- Rap always seems to equal new to some folk... rap as a genre has been around for over 30 years.... therefore it's 'glory days' are likely to have outlasted the 'golden age' of genre's of music you do like.

- Talentless? ok lets here you record a rap and post it here, if it's talentless it should be of little to no effort to knock together.

- Rap/Hip-hop when done well says a lot more to a lot more people than most modern rock records lyrically.

Finally, using metal as your juxtaposition was probably flawed, it's quite an embarrassing genre really isn't it, flawed by the 'never mind the song, look at my technical prowess' mentality and hell-bent on murdering classical pieces by processing them through waspy sounding distortion units... and that's before we deal with the haircuts and clothes.

Just my tuppence worth...... ;)

i wouldnt cal myself a fan of rap , and was raised on rock and metal music , some of it still great and some of it highly laughable with hindsight ... however parlourman's put my thoughts into words , pretty much exactly

its like all musical genres ... some of uts great , some of its **** .... dont be generalising , makes you look daft

You have no guitar player? Get off my stage. You can't sing and want to label yourself a lyricist? Get off my stage. Rap lacks the required skill to play guitar, sing, and cut a good metal record. Metal is the only good music. Rap lacks skill.iPad.gif

Metal. Lol.

I have to admit I do have a real soft spot for these guys, and musically, to me they are the most brilliant composers in the genre, together wiht probably my all time favourite drummer in Dave Lombardo.

This is my all time fave track.

One of my first largish concerts ever was Metallica in 1989, before they hit it big and still had their youthful energy and ambition. Still rate it as one of the best ever concerts.

Yes, I am a bit of a closet metalhead.

Maybe you're bitter on rap, cause it took over from metal in the 80's, think it's time to get with the times, lol. I never bought a rap album (ok, vanilla ice) and never really been into the genera but saying that they are not lyricist's is a foolish statement.

TBH, there's not a lot on modern songs with the soul and message of SOME rap songs, tbh i was thinking the other day that the 90's were probably the the last/best decade for guitarists.

But as i said before rap not high up on my playlists, but i came across this guy a while back enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLc_iNw-6Gw&feature=relmfu

Edit = Ok, sorry, I was half asleep when i typed this, and for some bizarre reason i thought you was being serious after rereading, good funny post [tongue]

You can't sing and want to label yourself a lyricist? Get off my stage.

I give you Bernie Taupin.

I've always thought of rap artists as street poets, not lyricists, and while it's not my cup of tea in style nor delivery I stop short of calling them talentless.

Hey, first welcome to the forum and don't let us get under your skin.

As Steve Earle once said there are only two kinds of muisic - good music and bad music. And for some reason, we all just can't agree on which is which. World would be a bit more boring, however, if we did.

With me it sometimes takes a long time for a certain band to grow on me. Good example, I was not what you would call and Alice Copoper fan back in the day. But hey, today, I enjoy listening to the Coop.

My eldest daughter was into hip-hop and rap a while ago. I got quite used to listening to Eminem ringing round the house.

Then one day a song popped onto my iPod and it was she who remarked that it wasn't a million miles away from the music she was listening to - except it was about 50 years old.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the "first" rap song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L_iy09c9jA

While I consider hard rock and heavy metal my favorite kind of music I would not say it's the only good music out there. I do listen to other stuff as well, like jazz, bluegrass and classical - all of which I consider great music. I do agree that rap is crap. Can't stand it at all, except early rap like Run DMC & Public Enemy

Archived