Gibson Brands Forums

SG-3 headstock bummed

GhrT

Yesterday, I balanced my SG-3 in his case against a wall without really paying attention how I put it there, and it fell over. This resulted in the headstock being completely torn off. Raging right now? Well you could put it that way.

Should I send it back to the usa or have it repaired here? I know a couple of places that does excellent repairs, but I have no idea if this can be repaired properly or if I should have the entire neck completely replaced. Any advice would be great!

It's a sad day for humankind...

post-5500-013893100 1335096482_thumb.jpg

Just have a local luthier you trust repair it. Either way your resale has been hurt (if you worry about that), you should have 0 issues with a properly repaired neck.

+1

Sorry to read about your misfortune and wish you the best possible outcome on the repair job.

Due to the way yours broke, it will be a very easy repair and it should hold perfectly fine! Those long, angled breaks give plenty of surface area for the glue bond, AND since yours broke a good ways away from the truss rod nut, you got lucky (all things considered) because sometimes when they break right under the nut, the break is too straight, like you cut it off with a saw. This leaves little wood to glue to, and makes for a weaker re-glue. :D Your guitar will rock again!!!! Plus, since it is ebony color, a luthier can EASILY hide the repair!!!!!

Arghhhh, seeing it lying there broken and bereft reminds of a fallen racehorse with a broken back.

My LP Special fell the exact same way on to a carpeted floor,

this prevented the complete snap but it got a big crack through the headstock.

Local guy fixed it for £80 [ $100 ], the repair is practically invisible to the eye.

Worry not, unlike the stricken racehorse, there's no need to fetch the 7mm Mannlicher-Carcano

to put it out of its misery, them Luthier chaps can do miracles.

Archived