Gibson Brands Forums

Is it just me?

daveinspain

I hit the pick-up selection switch while playing by mistake a lot changing the sound when I don't want to, specially on rhythms....

What if the switch was between the bridge volume and tone control a little more towards the bottom edge of the guitar? On a Les Paul....

I guess I just have to improve my technique.... [blush]

Just more "quality time" with the Les Paul. I used to hit them by accident many years ago when I didn't own one and played someone else's. Now that I own them and am used to them, it's a non-issue.

I can't say that I've ever encountered that problem and I graduated the Pete Townshend/Chris Britton School Of Strumming with an honours degree...lol. I believe it's time to go back to the strumming woodshed and hone your strumming,a lot of people fail to spend enough time perfecting their strumming techniques so you are not alone in that for sure.

Guest farnsbarns

Dave, have you tried loosening the switch and turning it 90 degrees so it switches left and right rather than up and down? Just a thought.

Dave you are simply strumming closer to the bridge pickup, I can lay down some serious pendulum strumming downstrokes or anything in between on a Les Paul without ever hitting that switch.

On my Strat it is a real problem when strumming, I have to strum closer to the bridge pickup...and then the string control is very different then, so not a lot of strumming on my Strat for me.

Take it easy on your controls [scared] .

Of course, strum however is comfortable for you. But from a technical point of view, you have a lot of wasted movement if you're strumming your controls along with your strings. You can get all the power you need in a much smaller stroke. You're not chopping up some kindling, there's no reason to swing at the strings hard enough to split wood. If it's about timing, then it's a bad habit that will effect your speed in the long run. Practice hard and soft strokes, strumming within an inch above and below the strings. It's no fun, and it's not "Punk", but you're speed and accuracy will improve, along with your chords sounding sweeter.

Not saying, "Only play soft". But you can dig in just as hard as you'll ever need to without putting your arm and back muscles into it.

Archived