Gibson Brands Forums

i loaned 2 guitars, a Fender and a Roland, and i got a harmonica to play with

FenderGuy1

i also got a overdrive/distortion and a digital delay pedal

Do you mean that you passed along 2 guitars to someone else to borrow or did someone loan you 2 guitars? Borrow is when someone else lets you use their stuff. Loaning is when you let someone else use your stuff. ie. I loaned my guitar to Billy so he could try it. I borrowed a guitar from Billy so that I could try it.

Just looking for clarification.

Carry on.

Dave

I had a friend when i was in the army who was from Minnesota or Wisconsin ....he used to say would you borrow me 20 bucks. To him it was normal talk. To the rest of us....*** backwards.....he meant would you loan me 20.....lol

The word "loaned" as it is used may be completely correct in FenderGuys area. Just confusing to me from where I'm from.

Not trying to criticize the young lad.

I remember a guy I knew would ask "can you bum me a smoke?", meaning could he bum one from me. In a literal sense, he was actually asking me to go and bum a smoke from someone else for him. My normal reply was "go bum a smoke yourself"

Maybe I'm too picky but clarity goes a long way.

Dave

The word "loaned" as it is used may be completely correct in FenderGuys area. Just confusing to me from where I'm from.

Not trying to criticize the young lad.

I remember a guy I knew would ask "can you bum me a smoke?", meaning could he bum one from me. In a literal sense, he was actually asking me to go and bum a smoke from someone else for him. My normal reply was "go bum a smoke yourself"

Maybe I'm too picky but clarity goes a long way.

Dave

Words mean things. Simple as that. If it's "on loan" to him, not quite the same thing. Could be a geographical anomaly, but I doubt it. OTOH, maybe he did loan his Fender (and a Roland?). I do recall him borrowing a Gibson (though he also had the terminology that confuses us in that thread).

One thing I do hope, is that the harmonica is new and his, not a loan. While I suppose they can be cleaned and vintage ones may be desireable, not something I'd care to be involved in. It's a mouth instrument, should be a one owner/player thing AFAIC.

Words mean things. Simple as that. If it's "on loan" to him, not quite the same thing. Could be a geographical anomaly, but I doubt it. OTOH, maybe he did loan his Fender (and a Roland?). I do recall him borrowing a Gibson (though he also had the terminology that confuses us in that thread).

One thing I do hope, is that the harmonica is new and his, not a loan. While I suppose they can be cleaned and vintage ones may be desireable, not something I'd care to be involved in. It's a mouth instrument, should be a one owner/player thing AFAIC.

Agreed. Never loan or borrow a harmonica. Thats just disgusting

They call it something else if it's done after they have grown up. For some reason the world just doesn't understand the concept of retroactive birth control.

Ouch...lol

That's NOT where I was going with that:

Our boy is fast approaching a certain age, is "swapping" back and forth on a harmonica, AND he has a guitar in his hand.

^^this is a disaster in the making^^

I am starting to think Gibsons should have a disclaimer that comes with their instruments, regarding teen/pre-teen use.

FENDERGUY!, IF YOU ARE READING THIS: You might tell Mama to have her friend over, who "loaned" you the Gibby...refer him to this thread and tell him you want to have a "sit down", a man-to-man, a good talk, about.... you know.... stuff.

Ouch...lol

That's NOT where I was going with that:

Our boy is fast approaching a certain age, is "swapping" back and forth on a harmonica, AND he has a guitar in his hand.

^^this is a disaster in the making^^

I am starting to think Gibsons should have a disclaimer that comes with their instruments, regarding teen/pre-teen use.

FENDERGUY!, IF YOU ARE READING THIS: You might tell Mama to have her friend over, who "loaned" you the Gibby...refer him to this thread and tell him you want to have a "sit down", a man-to-man, a good talk, about.... you know.... stuff.

[omg]

HE never plays the harmonica so i borrowed it, im gonna set up a pedalboard since i have 4 pedals, 2 are mine, and 2 are borrowed pedals

Why put together a pedal board for 4 pedals when you're going to have to give 2 back?

Archived