Gibson Brands Forums

Ever broken a string at a gig???

onewilyfool

My elixirs are getting pretty old, I can tell when they need to be changed, when they start to fall out of tune more often. I keep them on for MONTHS with no problems. I never really carry a replacement pack in case a string breaks. My buddy always keeps his last set of strings when he removes them and keeps them in his case just in case he breaks one. Thought that was a good idea, but takes too long to preserve them for reuse. When this happens, especially to you pros, do you stop the song, or push on with the remaining strings??? Do you have some kind of patter while you change your string?...just wondering!

Must have happened several times – but the exact incidents are forgotten behind a situation where I played my fingers to pieces and already after 5 minutes sprayed blood all over the center of the hole-less cherryburst yellow archtop. A rented guitar I had to polish up before delivering it back and which even at that point had stains here and there, , , and it all took place on national tv hehe he. . .

When this happens, especially to you pros, do you stop the song, or push on with the remaining strings??? Do you have some kind of patter while you change your string?...just wondering!

I break strings at gigs all the time, but that last time I looked stage left for the fixy guy and he WASN'T THERE!???

There was a LOT of stage patter then!

BluesKing777.

I was playing some classical stuff on my spanisch guitar at a friend's wedding and had to do my thing again once they had said 'yes' and were signing the wedding contract. I did not realize that the sun had been shining on the guitar directly after I first used it that ceremony, so when tuning the guitar I did not think anything of the high E being way off.

Started playing and that E just kept going, and that' when I realized the nylon string must have gotten soft. After some adjustments while playing I had to realize the E was a goner, so went on improvising on 5 strings. Not the best feeling since it was a wedding, but the audience was real good to me :)

I have broken strings a few times during gigs, and I totally agree with the "you MUST finish he song" statement. I never played totally solo for an entire gig, so my band and I always have a couple solo tunes for each individual so if someone breaks a string or something, the other person can play ther little solo tune while the guitar is being re-strung. Also having a backup guitar available is a must. Seems to take away from the need to have the awkward chatting while you re-string.

I have broken strings a few times during gigs, and I totally agree with the "you MUST finish he song" statement. I never played totally solo for an entire gig, so my band and I always have a couple solo tunes for each individual so if someone breaks a string or something, the other person can play ther little solo tune while the guitar is being re-strung. Also having a backup guitar available is a must. Seems to take away from the need to have the awkward chatting while you re-string.

same here , but i cant afford a spare guitar , other guys fill in while i change . three G strings (leave it wily!) is my record :-s

guinness gives me too much elbow :-)

I hate bringing more than one guitar with me so I just muddle through the rest of the tune. The singer will then do a number on her own - generally something like Son House's John the Revelator - while I change out the string.

I think this happened to me a dozends of times. Usually i have a backup guitar, that i pick up after i´ve finished the song with 5 strings.

It also happened, that i did change the broken string during a song in a solo show. How? I tell the people, that i have to repair my guitar and they have to sing on a while. [biggrin]

When the right song is right, this is really funny and the audience always found it really funny. Of course you have to hurry...

I change strings for every show (Martin M140 0.12 - 0.54.), so this kind of fun doesn´t happen too often...

Archived