Gibson Brands Forums

Brothers In Arms

Buc McMaster

As most of you know I have recently expanded my "herd" much to my pleasure. I am quite happy with all three of these instruments, each a prime example of the model. While they are all pretty much the same beast in materials, they are, as I am learning, distinctly different from one another and I have the old problem I once shunned: which one do I play?! Last night I played all three for a couple hours, doing the same song to get a beter feel for the nuances of difference between them. All stellar. All a joy to play. For my ear, the J-45TV is a clear winner for best overall tone, the D-18 for clarity and the Hummingbird for simple strumming. And, as I suspected might be the case, the 45 is absolutely my favorite among them.

Pardon my crowing, but these guitars bring me untold joy of an evening!

brothersinarms2.jpg

Guest J-Doug

which one do I play?!

I run my three in a strict rotation. Each one gets played every third day. Keeps me focused on the music.

Now look what you've done, Doug! How am I gonna play 'em now?!?! [flapper]

You just go ahead and play Buc! We'll flip the video so you come out corrected. ;)

Nice nice collection of beautiful guitars!

I think the Bird does in fact have some things the J-45 don't...or maybe it does just the bird has more. But the Bird don't have enough to compare to what the D-18 does. But the D-18 doesn't do the same as the J-45.

I understand your confusion.

I think the Bird does in fact have some things the J-45 don't...

Uhm, reckon so, tho p'haps not for eveyone's toolbox (same goes for my Nat'l, lol). The TV and the 18v are for the ages. Have fun and dont stay up too late...

As most of you know I have recently expanded my "herd" much to my pleasure. I am quite happy with all three of these instruments, each a prime example of the model. While they are all pretty much the same beast in materials, they are, as I am learning, distinctly different from one another and I have the old problem I once shunned: which one do I play?! Last night I played all three for a couple hours, doing the same song to get a beter feel for the nuances of difference between them. All stellar. All a joy to play. For my ear, the J-45TV is a clear winner for best overall tone, the D-18 for clarity and the Hummingbird for simple strumming. And, as I suspected might be the case, the 45 is absolutely my favorite among them.

brothersinarms2.jpg

awesome !!!!!

JC

brothersinarms2.jpg

Great looking guitars. However, when I saw the thread title, I was looking forward to hearing your rendition of the Dire Straits' song by the same name! Which guitar to play it on though?...

Archived