Gibson Brands Forums

LP vs SG

davidl

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a SG with P90's at some point and have noticed that there is quite a difference in pricing between the SG and LP in general.

Is this just my imagination?

Has anyone else noticed this and can anyone explain why?

The SG's seem to be priced lower. Not that I'm complaining.

Dave

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a SG with P90's at some point and have noticed that there is quite a difference in pricing between the SG and LP in general.

Is this just my imagination?

Has anyone else noticed this and can anyone explain why?

The SG's seem to be priced lower. Not that I'm complaining.

Dave

And less wood altogether.

The LP sounds bigger, and more solid. I don't have too much experience with the SGs, but I believe there is a bigger tone range available on the Les Pauls also.

I prefer LPs, but if had I to play an SG only, I'd love it, love it, love it.

Apples and oranges.

No...SG's and LP's

Minus a flamed maple cap, they share much of the same materials. Pickups, Mahogany body, Rosewood or Ebony fretboard, tuners, pots, caps...faded or gloss finish.

My question may have been too general in nature. It was more thinking out loud and wondering if anyone had an opinion.

I can see where you are coming from though.

Dave

And less wood altogether.

The LP sounds bigger, and more solid. I don't have too much experience with the SGs, but I believe there is a bigger tone range available on the Les Pauls also.

I prefer LPs, but if had I to play an SG only, I'd love it, love it, love it.

FALSE

Pretty simple - because people are willing to pay more for a LP.

That simple. Charge what the market will pay.

Ok.

Thanks for all the responses folks.

I was over analyzing. Somethig I tend to do sometimes.

Dave, referring only to sticker prices - why does an R0, like yours, or an R9 list for $6,000 and a figured top R8 lists for $4,500? They're all the exact same guitar with thick/thinner/thinnest neck profiles but why the price difference? Simple - because of the '59 & '60 appeal. That 9 xxxx or 0 xxxx serial number is what you pay for.

Stupid, isn't it?

Pretty simple - because people are willing to pay more for a LP.

Yeppers. I love the look of the Les Paul and was once - out of sheer vanity - lured into buying one. And for this player, it was a mistake. Les Pauls cost what they do because that is what people are willing to pay for them. Certainly you could make the case for the maple top, but beyond that, I think the arguments - other than preference - tend to get blurry. OF COURSE a Les Paul sounds different from an SG, but in my experiences, so do most LPs from other LPs.

I own a Premium Plus LP. The only difference between that and a regular LP from a few years ago is that it has a AAA top. That guitar sold for $3,200. Now the new Standard LP comes with a AAA top and a lot more features (push/pull tone controls, coil tapping, etc.). It sells for $2,500. As R9 states the market drives everything. Back a few years ago the demand for a Premium Plus wasn't there. People still love that flame look and Gibson is using that along with other features to sell their modern LPs.

Archived