Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal Boards

Fret

Don`t know about you guys but I,m forever changing pedal boards, I have the Boss GT 8 multi effect board, far to complex for my simple mind, and a BOSS ME-70 which has been alright for smaller gigs and practice sessions. I have 3 separate BOSS boards set up, a DIY board in a flight case, mainly set up with pedals for my EVH sound attemps and a Pedaltrain Pro thats has about 20 pedals on it, most of which I don`t use, but the dam things too heavy for me anyway in my old age, these things are massive. So I`ve just discovered the Pedaltrain 3 which apparently fits nicely into a Pedaltrain 2 hard case, I`m off over town to have a look at one later, just wondering what you guys use and are you forever changing them like me, or do I have some sort of psychological behavioural problem [thumbup] .

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Fret! My effect chain goes like this: Tube Screamer > Metal Charger > Equalizer > X > Noise Buster > Twin-Cam Chorus > Delay. All of vintage Ibanez 10 series. The X can be either an Octave, Swell Flanger or Bi-Mode Phaser depending on my mood. The rest are constant. Cheers... Bence

Have three, the Pedaltrain Nano, Pedaltrain Jr. and Pedaltrain Two. I hate robbing one for another, so have some duplicates (TS 808 Tube Screamer and MXR Carbon Copy on all three, two with Soul Vibes, TS 9s and Poly Tune etc.).

You say the three fits the two's hard case (checking dimensions, it should). Interesting, that's the only one I have with a hard case. Hmm... a bit larger wouldn't be bad. The collection of loose pedals I currently have wouldn't really make sense as a group though. Hmm... Hate to buy yet another version of some of these.

Anyone selling the board without a case for a good price?

Hello Fret! My effect chain goes like this: Tube Screamer > Metal Charger > Equalizer > X > Noise Buster > Twin-Cam Chorus > Delay. All of vintage Ibanez 10 series. The X can be either an Octave, Swell Flanger or Bi-Mode Phaser depending on my mood. The rest are constant. Cheers... Bence

sounds like a nice collection, I must try a tube scramer, heard a lot about them

Have three, the Pedaltrain Nano, Pedaltrain Jr. and Pedaltrain Two. I hate robbing one for another, so have some duplicates (TS 808 Tube Screamer and MXR Carbon Copy on all three, two with Soul Vibes, TS 9s and Poly Tune etc.).

You say the three fits the two's hard case (checking dimensions, it should). Interesting, that's the only one I have with a hard case. Hmm... a bit larger wouldn't be bad. The collection of loose pedals I currently have wouldn't really make sense as a group though. Hmm... Hate to buy yet another version of some of these.

Anyone selling the board without a case for a good price?

I must admit I`m always robbing boards, but so many pedals collecting dusk at the moment I should have a clear out, anyway looking forward to building up the Pedaltrain 3 up this weekend

I've ended up with 30+ pedals and 2 Stagg pedalboard cases. I'm just putting together my own ultimate board, powered by a Burkey PSU, then I will make up board no 2 with 'the best of the rest'. I did have a Boss GT6 but sold it - a bit too complicated to program...however I still have Boss SE50 and SE70 units...I can see myself also making a 3rd board with the bare necessities on it.

...I can see myself also making a 3rd board with the bare necessities on it.

Exactly what I did (thread here) with my Pedaltrain Nano. Cool little board, very handy, and has my most used 4 on it. Ended up setting it up for either battery or plug power. Excess daisy chain is Velcroed underneath, if powering with a One Spot I simply pull the cables free. Otherwise, I simply pull the power plugs from each pedal to turn on the battery power (lets me leave them on the board and connected without killing the batteries).

IMAG0404.jpg

I have the pedaltrain 2. Just recently posted a pic of it to the Visual Sound pedals facebook page (see the link below). As you can see I'm nuts about Visual Sound. I'm still working out the order of the pedals but my board is aimed at versatility. Between all the OD/Distortion/Fuzz on this board and the channel switches for the amp, I can get close to any dirty tone I want.

I just need a Tremolo, Phaser and Flanger and I'll have what I consider a complete board. Once I figure out the best order, I'll make the board more tidy and hide all the cables underneath. Of course, being addicted to pedals, I have a goal of getting EVERY VS pedal, even if some of them will give me some duplicates (Son Of Hyde + a single side of Double Trouble = Jeckyl & Hyde for example).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150833808850009&set=o.156889181013605&type=3&theater

I used to have a GT-8 but I wanted to go another route. So this is my main board now, Pedaltrain Pro:

pdbd001.jpg

I use the M13 for "clean" FX and the FreeForm FX "Black Label Overdrive" to focus the lead channel on my Mark IV. The Wampler "Super Plextortion" is there for when I'm not using my own backline and the amp I'm using needs more gain than what the Black label can push for me. Oh, and a Korg Pitch Black tuner. (Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus pwr supply)

I have a second PT Pro that is all stomps, no M13, that I don't have a picture of. It has a Fulltone MDV-2 (Love this pedal!!!), a TCE Nova Repeater, TCE Nova Dynamics, TCE Nova Drive (w/G-Switch), Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss CE-2 Chorus, Boss NS2 Noise uppressor, Boss EH-2 Enhancer and a Ross Flanger.

I also still have my old Boss BCB-6 Board:

pdbd003.jpg

When I don't feel like lugging crap around, I just grb my Boss ME-25 as it has all the basics.

I also have a bunch of other loose pedals....I'm a stomp box junkie, especially for Overdrives and Boosts.

Oh this is the stuff...yes and furthermore yes...BCB-6 ahoy! I had one for years, 5 pedals and the line driver...love the look of these boards here...T-Bone that small one looks great...Dub's board very neat indeed, great distortion choice - want to hear the black cat...want to hear all of it in fact...that M13, whoah!

Interesting what you leave out, too...no wah, no comp in these setups.

Some nice boards and pedals there guys.

Well I picked up the Pedaltrain 3 with a pedaltrain 2 flight case, it fits just right and is smaller of course without th extra compartment the pedaltrain 3 case has, I`m fed up with lugging heavy gear around and the Pedal train pro is just too much for me these days, so its up for sale. I`ve just set up my new board, must get some pitures up, I`ve put two voodoo lab 2`s under it and lined it with ten pedals, it was a bit hard trying to decide what to use and what to leave out but I feel I have a good mix for what I play these days, so I`ve robbed three other boards and put my pedals in line with a mixture of true by pass and buffered pedals arranged like this,

Nothing too fancy, it starts off in line with the BOSS chromatic tuner, TU-3, Boss PW-10 V-Wah Wah, I have around 6 wah pedals including some signiture ones, but I actually prefer the BOSS one, next in line is a Boss Overdrive OD-3, then Mega Distortion BOSS MD-2, next BOSS Fuzz, FZ-5, then a limited edition Wampler Pinnacle distortion for the famous brown sounds, next the MXR 6 band EQ, followed by the MXR Phase 90 (EVH model), next the EVH Flanger, (takes 18 volts to drive this mother, 2 sockets on one of the voodoo`s, lovely sound though), next the BOSS Chorus Ensemble the CE-5 and last on the chain is the MXR anolog delay the Carbon Copy, much better than my BOSS DD-7 digital delay. and thats the line order, I`m quite pleased with the pedals I`ve managed to fit on, gives me a good balance and a good trade off by what I`ve left off, although I do have a ISP Desimator Noise gate which I like but can`t fit on the board so I`ll probably just put this between the board and amp.

Oh this is the stuff...yes and furthermore yes...BCB-6 ahoy! I had one for years, 5 pedals and the line driver...love the look of these boards here...T-Bone that small one looks great...Dub's board very neat indeed, great distortion choice - want to hear the black cat...want to hear all of it in fact...that M13, whoah!

Interesting what you leave out, too...no wah, no comp in these setups.

Thanks man, I'll have to record a demo of my board one of these days. The black cat pedal is really great, I usually leave it on the whole time I'm playing.

I had a wah on there but took it off because I wasn't using it and it was weighing my board down a lot. Never really tried a compressor. My friend was telling me I NEED to try one though so when I get some money I think I'll build one to see what the fuss is about.

Must say I did struggle leaving the compressor out, but you cant get everything on of course unless you want to go dragging a protrain around and have a car with decent suspension :blink: Of course the likes of Page and Hendrix managed quite well without half of the gear we drag around [crying]

Sounds like a great set up, looking forward to the pics. Always wanted the Pro, but they do seem a bit ungainly (saw a harmonica player that had a full Pro for pedals he used with a harp, outrageous but he did get some wild sounds!).

I was a little surprised at your lack of love for the DD7, I have one and for digital (I tend to prefer the warmth of analog), I think it's a great sounding and very versatile pedal. Then again, I have a Carbon Copy on each of my three boards, so obviously I also agree with your assessment (at least for the sounds I'm looking for, but the DD7 will do things the Carbon Copy won't). Only bought it to try, as I got it for a steal of a price used (like new, with power supply) on eBay.

Sounds like a great set up, looking forward to the pics. Always wanted the Pro, but they do seem a bit ungainly (saw a harmonica player that had a full Pro for pedals he used with a harp, outrageous but he did get some wild sounds!).

I was a little surprised at your lack of love for the DD7, I have one and for digital (I tend to prefer the warmth of analog), I think it's a great sounding and very versatile pedal. Then again, I have a Carbon Copy on each of my three boards, so obviously I also agree with your assessment (at least for the sounds I'm looking for, but the DD7 will do things the Carbon Copy won't). Only bought it to try, as I got it for a steal of a price used (like new, with power supply) on eBay.

lol, thats some harp player. My lad likes the DD-7, so much so that I gave it to him, I think its too complex for me, too many knobs to confuse me haha, I know where I`m upto with th carbon copy, plus I was brought up on Watkins copy cat tape players and prefer this type of sound, the carbon copy comes close without having to change tapes once every other gig

...plus I was brought up on Watkins copy cat tape players and prefer this type of sound

Still have 2. MKIV and IC400 Varispeed...great sound but I'm selling as analog delays cover it all these days.

Stuff always changes with me.

I need a tuner, overdrive (to BOOST the amp's gain), chorus, delay, and reverb.

Wah, phaser, compressor are less important, but I happen to use them a LOT!

Gimmie a good Les Paul, a good Marshall Plexi-style amp (my next amp buy might be a late-70s Marshall 1987 or 1959. The JMP Super Lead non-master heads like Randy Rhoads, AC/DC, and Michael Schenker used to use. WAY cheaper than a Plexi. A lot of my favorite guitar tones were created using them, and I'd like to see what I could do with it. I'll install one of those post-phase inverter master volumes as to not get kicked out of clubs for being too loud!), and a bit of delay (I like the Chandler rack delay, as well as the Roland SDE-3000, and TC stuff. I'm driven towards the Chandler, though, cause' it does the Echoplex thing very well!), and I'm good to go. Add in a good boost/overdrive pedal and it's even better. The rest of the effects are just icing on the cake for me.

And of course, no amplifier sounds right without my Pepsi sitting on it!

Interesting board........:-k ...

thanks mate, I`ve just jigged it about so I could get my noisegate in there, here it is now all trimmed up, the Pedal Train 3 in a pedal train 2 case, it fits just nicely, I managed to get 12 pedals on it in the end

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/austerity/NIK_1599.jpg

I could replace the BOSS TU-12EX tuner with the smaller BOSS TU-3 tuner which would sit over the wah pedal and then add a compressor where the BOSS tuner is now, I have a CS-3, not sure how lucky 13 pedals would be though haha, jury`s out on that one at the moment. You can of course get the flat headed connection jacks to squeeze a few more pedals on the board, but I`m happy with this set up for the moment for my main board

Archived