Gibson Brands Forums

Looks like Sheryl actually had an SJ back in the day

JuanCarlosVejar

I finally got my hands on one here. They really are killer. It's loud, resonant, and looks super cool. Her named printed tiny on the label wouldn't bother me a bit. no more than buying a Roy Smeck, Nick Lucas, or anything else. I don't even REALLY care how much she plays one... though it would be wrong if she NEVER did.

I hope the shmanzy pickup in the new Sheryl Crow SJ sounds better than the one in that rocording ... lord that sounded awful.

Right you are! If I thought the guitar sounded like that recording, I'd never consider it. Brash and unappealing.

Sounds like a shoddy PA sound to begin with, recorded on old digital technology, converted for VHS format, watched several times on a decaying format of tape, ripped and converted to a higher bit rate settings than the original and posted on youtube via another round of processing and conversion.

That's an awful lot of messing with the original sound. In saying that we've seen similarly processed/reprocessed clips which still sound good, so the original sound probably wasn't that great on the night. The mic sound seems quite low/medium tier too, but her guitar was too loud too. The rhythm was erratic in places compared with the clips you see as related videos at the end. Sure, she's using her C&W but note the rhythm part has changed and is much more refined.

Sounds like a shoddy PA sound to begin with, recorded [...] on a decaying format of tape.

Apologies for the edit, PM. Isn't that a description of a WEM Copicat? Worked for the Shadows!

News this AM = Ms. Crow has been diagnosed with a benign brain tumor. She is running marathons and still on tour. Just has a memory problem with the lyrics occassionally. I do that all the time. Think I'll get a Ventura Boulevard mid-morning beer buzz and go get an MRE. MRI?

News this AM = Ms. Crow has been diagnosed with a benign brain tumor. She is running marathons and still on tour. Just has a memory problem with the lyrics occassionally. I do that all the time. Think I'll get a Ventura Boulevard mid-morning beer buzz and go get an MRE. MRI?

I just saw an article on the same topic over lunch and was going to post it. The article I read claimed the particular strain of tumour was not too threatening and doctors had told her 'she had nothing to worry about', not the first words I would have thought of when speaking of a brain tumour.

Best of luck to Ms Crow.

* In the article which included a few recent snaps from shows, in all of them she was sporting the new SJ.

Archived