Gibson Brands Forums

My Conspiracy Theories....

Rocky4

Socks

Do you ever notice how socks change styles often? Go to the store and buy a pack of socks. Go 6 months later and buy the same kind of sock, and something will be a little different. The dark parts around the ankle and toe, the design at the top, they'll be just a bit shorter, etc. It costs money for a manufacturer to retool for a different pattern, so why do they do this? I'll tell you why, it's so when you loose a sock, you have to buy a whole new pair!!!

Paper Plates

How much time and money was spend making sure the plates stick together so you'll have to get two or three instead of just one?

They think I don't know.......but I know.....

Burt seriously, I think road construction is a scam. It's 2012, don't you think somebody can develop a road surface that can survive at least one winter? Somebody is getting awfully rich repaving the same roads every two years. I think some road construction workers spend their whole careers working on the same 20 mile stretch of road.

.....just a morning rant...

This is nothing new. It's been going on for a long time.

When I was in Jr. High School ('75-'77) a teacher of mine told me that right now they could produce tires that would last a lifetime.

But, he told us, if they did that, many tire companies would go out of business. And they wouldn't be able to keep selling you tires over and over again.

Socks... when you lose a sock, you have to buy a whole new pair!!!

Now you got three. So, they should sell individual socks, and not change patterns every ten years when it's time to buy a new pair.

I think if there was a tire that wouldn't wear out, rode reasonably well, (vibration), didn't make too much noise, and was good in rain, snow, heat, etc.....Someone would make it and gain a market edge on the competition.

Socks? I wear cowboy boots most of the time, so I buy white shocks and wear them unless I'm in regular shoes. No one cares if they match.

I agree with road surfaces....but then that's a public endeavour, so there's no incentive to invent something that will last. The bureaucrat who decides to spend extra money to pave a road in concrete ILO asphalt would be fired, since the politician who gets the blame/praise won't be in office when the 'cheaper' road needs to be repaved....so their incentive is to do the repaving 'on the cheap'.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

This is nothing new. It's been going on for a long time.

When I was in Jr. High School ('75-'77) a teacher of mine told me that right now they could produce tires that would last a lifetime.

But, he told us, if they did that, many tire companies would go out of business. And they wouldn't be able to keep selling you tires over and over again.

That explains all those car hoods they make out of card board.

Danvillerob is pretty much right on about the tires. "Wear" is almost mandatory for anything that needs traction.

Socks... I don't think any decent socks have been sold for under $10 a pair for ages... so I figure the cheaper ones simply are disposable.

Highways - given weather conditions and chemicals involved, not to mention wear, I don't think you'll see permanent roadways in the lifetime of anyone here. Even railroads need regular repair even if, as I've seen in this region, some of the tracks themselves were made more than a century ago. Weather, again...

Rob's pretty much "on" in terms of politics and road costs - but as one who has been involved in such stuff for ages, I can tell you that you could double your federal highway taxes and state highway taxes (on fuel in the US) and magically make the transport agencies and contractors impossibly efficient and you still couldn't pay for all concrete roads - and concrete needs refinishing every now and then too.

It's more of an engineering challenge than one might think to build a road. Yes, some of the Roman roads have lasted to the present, but not with today's traffic - and I doubt we could afford the mileage "we" have in highways with the Roman-style paving. Even that can be shown to have worn significantly just from weather, wagons and chariots... Hmmmm - as with concrete, an asphalt mat on top would be a solution.

Nothing is beyond wear and tear even if it's not used and sits in box or drawer... Different materials will show that in different ways and on different time schedules, but...

I know it's kinda the in thing nowadays to figure that unions, governments and corporations sorta conspire to suck blood and cash out of the average person, but... not in the above circumstances as far as I can see. And I'm a certified cynic.

m

We had access to electricity WAY before it was "discovered".....

The Baghdad battery anyone? How about Nikola Tesla's papers being ransacked by the US Government after his death?

It's the nature of a capitalistic market. Not that I'd want it any other way, but its everywhere. It's like healthcare. People say, "Why can't they cure this disease or that disease?" It's because the money is in the treatment, not the cure. That want us 'manageably healthy', not healed.

Health managed by their pharmaceuticals, no less.

It's the nature of a capitalistic market. Not that I'd want it any other way, but its everywhere. It's like healthcare. People say, "Why can't they cure this disease or that disease?" It's because the money is in the treatment, not the cure. That want us 'manageably healthy', not healed.

Health managed by their pharmaceuticals, no less.

If everybody stopped smoking and lived longer, social security wouldn't last very long at all.

On Sock's it's not a conspiracy it's the metrosexual guys that actually care what there socks look like that did it. I lived pretty much my whole working life with either black dress socks or blue dress socks and if I felt really bold I might go brown they all matched and hey were never a fashion statement. Now that I'm retired I buy only white crew socks. That way they all match and I don't even have to make pairs. I just keep them all loose in the same drawer saved me a good 2-3 hours a month not having to fold socks or find a pair that matches my tie which I also no longer wear [flapper] My next step is all the same matching color T-shirt (thinking dark green pocket t) and identical Levi shorts or pants depending on the season. I'll always be ready to go! My wife won't be able to ask me what I'm gonna wear or make me change when were going out if she doesn't like it. And if I get real lazy I can wear the same outfit 2-3 days in a row and nobody will be the wiser. Yep I think that's gonna be phase 2 for sure.

Road construction is a pain and it's usually caused by everybody cutting trenches in the dang streets to add cable tv and fiber optics as well as building brand new streets on top of 40 year old water lines since especially out west and any rural area's they just direct bury everything and nothing goes in vaults.

I know what you mean though especially with the big metal plates they they put in the street to cover holes and trenches. there always just moving them around I personally think one of two things happened. They either lost the dirt from the original holes so now they have to keep moving hem around or else the damn plates weigh to much to actually put away so they just drag them around and leave them in the street because hey have nowhere else to store them. Hell I bet half the time there's not even a hole under them ???

Same thing for all the traffic detour and temporary signage, they just leave them out in some roadway all the time because they don't have anywhere big enough to actually put them all away!

Here in Oregon, there are some roads that are concrete, but very few.

The problem with a concrtete surface is that it is still subject to wear from traction devices, studded tires or chains. you can not pour over a thin layer of concrete, so the road would have to get raised or removed to resurface. Bridges and overpasses are concrete, naturally, and have asphalt over the top. Some stretches I have noticed have what looks like pepples, making a very rough and strong surface that looks like it stands up better to studded tires.

The other option is like in Jersey, where they salt the roads. You don't see a lot of old cars there because they rust a lot faster.

If one crosses the Columbia into Washington State, the roads are instantly different and better. A nice, smooth driving experience that reminds me of L.A. Same wheather and land conditions...explain please.

So...speaking of L.A. vs Portland OR, for the road crews, what takes hours or days in CA takes days or weeks in Portland. In Portland, you spend a lot more energy driving because the roads are poorly designed...turns for example, don't stay the same curve and you have to constantly correct. Driving an Oregon highway feels almost exactly the same as driving an L.A. road during an earthquake, because the car pitches and tosses a bit, as well as the roads not being very striaght.

Further, a complaint many have compared to other states is signs for offramps are placed directly after the exit pointing down to it, and in addition, there are many places where the way the lanes are designed it takes a lot of effort to change lanes, as well as a lot of bottlenecks in traffic that are the cause of lane design instead of lack of road. I am convinced that Portland does not have an engineer who designs the roads. In fact, here in my hood they rescently made a few changes and had to immediately take some out because the busses could not make the turns.

Socks

Do you ever notice how socks change styles often? Go to the store and buy a pack of socks. Go 6 months later and buy the same kind of sock, and something will be a little different. The dark parts around the ankle and toe, the design at the top, they'll be just a bit shorter, etc. It costs money for a manufacturer to retool for a different pattern, so why do they do this? I'll tell you why, it's so when you loose a sock, you have to buy a whole new pair!!!

Correction: 6 new pairs.

Paper Plates

How much time and money was spend making sure the plates stick together so you'll have to get two or three instead of just one?

They think I don't know.......but I know.....

Saves me the trouble of doubling/tripling them up. They are so-o-o-o-o thin.

If I peel off as many as six, I just keep moving. It's not worth the trouble of separating them.

Burt seriously, I think road construction is a scam. It's 2012, don't you think somebody can develop a road surface that can survive at least one winter? Somebody is getting awfully rich repaving the same roads every two years. I think some road construction workers spend their whole careers working on the same 20 mile stretch of road.

.....just a morning rant...

You wanna talk scam.

Napkins: restaurants have quit puting them on the table. Many times they are so thin they tear just picking them up.

McDonalds: Ask for extra pickle, you get one extra pickle to go with the one, paper thin one that is standard.

TVs. My CRT is 25 years old and still going strong. My kids average a new 'flat screen, DTV Ready' TV every 2.5 years. (thanks Walmart)

Archived