Gibson Brands Forums

Players known for using a 339?

Plus Top Dan

Right then, Jimi is mostly known for playing strats, Keith Richards is mostly known for his Tele, Slash for using a Les paul, Angus Young with his SG etc... The point i'm (slowly) getting to is that certain guitarists are known for playing certain types of guitar.

What well known guitarists are known for using an ES-339? I can't think of any!! [unsure]

They haven't been around long enough to get a reputation associated with an artist. Doesn't change the fact that it's one of the nicest and most usable guitars ever produced by Gibson (much like the first run Nighthawks).

And the 336 :)

Jeff Pevar - I didn't know who he was until I saw the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de-yA2v4A3w

I hope when they sent it to him to check it out, he gets to keep it. Certainly earned it with that video, a heck of a sales tool! Very impressed myself.

WOW I now want one morethan ever... A 336 would be amazing for me.

Two very different guitars if I recall reading correctly (336 vs 339). One is built like the 335, with separate top, back and sides, while the other is more like a Les Paul, with the body routed out of a single piece and the top affixed to it. Can't seem to recall which is which, though (I'd guess the 336 is closer to the 335... (off to Google for a moment).

Okay, here's the thread I found where I got the info. But I did have it backwards, it is the 339 that is built more like the 335, and the 336 more like the Les Paul.

I'd like to try them both!

I hope when they sent it to him to check it out, he gets to keep it. Certainly earned it with that video, a heck of a sales tool! Very impressed myself.

Two very different guitars if I recall reading correctly (336 vs 339). One is built like the 335, with separate top, back and sides, while the other is more like a Les Paul, with the body routed out of a single piece and the top affixed to it. Can't seem to recall which is which, though (I'd guess the 336 is closer to the 335... (off to Google for a moment).

Okay, here's the thread I found where I got the info. But I did have it backwards, it is the 339 that is built more like the 335, and the 336 more like the Les Paul.

I'd like to try them both!

Yeah I am aware of that.. a 336 is like a hollowed out Les Paul.. and I have actually tried one which was probably the nicest guitar I ever played... I havent actually tried a 339 yet so thats next on the list.. But I have the feeling I will prefer the 336.

From what I have heard a 336 is nearer to a LP in sound than a 335.. But you get the hollow body aswell.. sounds like the perfect guitar for me. They are expensive, but I reckon that it will be the last guitar I ever buy when I get one :)

Archived