Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Album Of 2012?

kaleb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hands down its Lee Ranaldo's Between the Times and the Tides. Great pop songs with plenty of noisy and dissonant guitars from Nels Cline and Alan Licht. Ranaldo has been my favorite guitar player for years and I loved seeing him step out with a pop album. Not that I don't dig on his experimental noise, but another album of skip loops (From Here to Infinity) wouldn't cut it.

Honorable mention to Chicago's own Disappears' Pre Language. It's pure psychedelic bliss. I am hoping to catch their set at the Empty Bottle in late July.

Probably mine too. Just got it yesterday and already lovin' it.

I have yet to buy it but I've heard some of it and it never fails to get me rockin'!

I really like the variety. I mean, "Headlong Flight" sounds like it could be from Caress Of Steel, and a couple of other tunes harken back to Power Windows. But there is hardly any keyboards (which isn't a bad thing).

I am not turned off by Geddy playing the keys at all. I enjoy synthesizers a ton. I really don't get why some players are so against the keyboards.

I'm on this thread not because I know the current "hot" bands but rather because even when I was playing rock for money in the olden days, I tended to buy recordings only of stuff I hadda learn to do more or less covers as was the style of the day. I later did the same with country, then with country/rock, etc., through the '70s.

Ain't 'cuz I'm old, 'cuz I was that way at 18 and before. If I didn't already know the material from radio, and it was for paying gigs, I bought the recording. Most of my "albums" one way or another have been study material toward performances or other purposes, and usually purchased only if I'd use it for paying gigs...

Here's my question: Are you folks buying to listen to 'stedda the radio, to claim ownership of an album for its extrinsic value, or to do an easier pickup of chops on given pieces of music? I'm not surprised at non-musicians buying stuff to listen to, but I'm almost surprised at musicians buying stuff to listen to if they're playing for money.

m

Nice question Milo. For me it's a combination of both. I will buy every Rush album just because I'm a Rush fan. I own every SRV album for the same reason. But I also like to have lots of different types of music to both listen to and to learn from. For example, I own CD's from Count Basie, Oscar Peterson, Gershwin, Frank Sinatra, and a ton of classical music.

Basie taught more about technique than any player I listened to before. You can play everything he does with two fingers. But, wow, did he know when to play and when not to play. This helped me out on guitar too.

I'm on this thread not because I know the current "hot" bands but rather because even when I was playing rock for money in the olden days, I tended to buy recordings only of stuff I hadda learn to do more or less covers as was the style of the day. I later did the same with country, then with country/rock, etc., through the '70s.

Ain't 'cuz I'm old, 'cuz I was that way at 18 and before. If I didn't already know the material from radio, and it was for paying gigs, I bought the recording. Most of my "albums" one way or another have been study material toward performances or other purposes, and usually purchased only if I'd use it for paying gigs...

Here's my question: Are you folks buying to listen to 'stedda the radio, to claim ownership of an album for its extrinsic value, or to do an easier pickup of chops on given pieces of music? I'm not surprised at non-musicians buying stuff to listen to, but I'm almost surprised at musicians buying stuff to listen to if they're playing for money.

m

I buy music to listen to it, i like to create my own original thoughts for music which are most likely influenced by what i listen to on a daily basis.

m

I see no other reason to buy music...to listen to. That's a very odd question Milo. Maybe I have misunderstood you.

I can't comment on best 2012 album yet as there are still 6 months left!!

Shred...

Maybe I'm the oddball in the bunch. At times I tend to conclude that on threads like this.

I've only purchased music when I wanted specifically to play something I'd heard elsewhere or had requests that I play. I've never bought music just to sit and listen to unless it was a "project" of one sort or another either for a class, to learn something specific about something I don't know as much as I'd wish to know, or for performance.

m

Shred...

Maybe I'm the oddball in the bunch. At times I tend to conclude that on threads like this.

I've only purchased music when I wanted specifically to play something I'd heard elsewhere or had requests that I play. I've never bought music just to sit and listen to unless it was a "project" of one sort or another either for a class, to learn something specific about something I don't know as much as I'd wish to know, or for performance.

m

Very interesting. I PLAY music because I LOVE music...and to continue loving music, I try to listen to as much as I can...for pure enjoyment.

I definitely soak up some influences and 'ideas' but that is secondary to listening. I'll put on headphones, lay back and listen to a full album or 2 quite often. I find I don't listen to music when I am online, or doing other things. Sometimes I want my full attention devoted to it. Because it makes me happy, sad, mad, whatever...

I guess I never imagined that someone would buy an album for any other specific purpose other than the joy of listening to it. Whaddyaknow? It happens! [scared]

New music inspires me to play my own things. And in this day in age, digging for music is important. It is now 10x harder to find good music on your own. 40 years ago, you could get enough just from radio. Radio sucks nowadays, and even the rock stations are going down the tubes. Zeppelin, for example, was there. You didn't have to look for them. Nowadays, to hear a great rock band (like Black Country Communion, for example), you have to search. Great rock and metal will always be around no matter what, but the pile of crap sitting on top of the good stuff is getting higher.

I'm always seeking out good music. If I hadn't sought out stuff, I wouldn't be the musician and person I am. That's what I do. I'm a seeker.

Shred...

m

You sure are something else, i wouldn't be able to live like that. I like to listen to music for the sake of listening to music. I mean i understand where you are getting at but to me that just seems all wrong. Don't worry, i still love and respect you.

I've actually enough music in my head to keep me busy easily until I croak, even if I last to 100 capable of pickin' - which is doubtful. The Web offers updates for my head on lyrics, but a lotta stuff I'm interested in playing I've known as "music" for 30-60 years in different versions. Then my head wants to take the tune and arrange it for what I'm capable of doing with my hands.

So... Yeah, I love music as much as anybody; likely more than most. But buying "the" band's latest album or such never has been my thing.

Yes, I do have a few - or something more than a few - pieces on the computer to bang out to reinforce a mood. Some's rock, some opera - a bit of bagpipes and cowboy and when I'm really peeved, both a vocal and band version of le Boudin at 88 steps per minute. Or when I want the blood pressure lowered, a Waltraud Meier version of Isolde's Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde.

I won't claim I have a phonographic memory, but... sheesh, stuff like "mood indigo" and the old Jo Stafford and then doowop standard "You Belong to Me" sorta thing are kinda burned into my head - and ditto such as the basics of dozens of standards in swing, pop, doowop, rock, country, old time/bluegrass, blues...

If anything, my difficulty my whole life would be to try to list material I'd like to play and that functionally I know the music and just need to do an arrangement and/or better learn lyrics. Given I've only about 5 percent of the talent I think necessary to arrange and play well what I'd like to arrange and play well... I have plenty to keep me busy.

Yeah, I'm "old," but I basically had the same perspective when I was 18. I "knew" far more material than I'd ever get down on guitar for years, so except for something special one way or another, usually for class or for performance or when getting lyrics was easiest by buying a record - ain't been one to go get the latest hits unless I had to nail something for a more direct type of "cover" when playing country and rock for money.

Granted, if I hear something that really trips my trigger "not of the stuff you're likely to hear on radio or encounter on Youtube," I'd be willing to buy a record to nail it. It just doesn't happen all that often. Maybe 5 years ago is the last time...

m

I agree.

I think we have seen enough collaborations by our favorite artists. Featuring Myles and the other guys on the whole record is a great thing because A. they're great!, and B. It will actually sound like a band rather than a collection of artists playing with Slash!

I'm looking forward to Santana's new record, Shape Shifter. He's cutting back on the collaborations!

And Walter Trout has a great new album out too. It addresses today's issues with society.

If you haven't heard of him, check him out. Easily one of the best blues/rock artists around. Plays the Strat like a mutha'!

And he's EVOL's worst tone nightmare! (Strat and Mesa Boogie Mark V.....)

m

I certainly buy music to listen to. Both for playing and for pleasure. I won't learn a song just because it's popular or new, it has to catch my ear (or an ear in the band) and be listenable. There's too much material to choose from to waste time learning a song we don't like, it doesn't serve the song, it doesn't serve the audience, and it doesn't do us any good.

For pleasure, music will always be my entertainment. Specially live performance DVD's and stuff I can't play, like piano music. I still look forward to ZZ Tops new album, and heard a few songs off of Van Halen's newest and just might buy it.

However, I do tend to stop listening to songs that I play in the band.

I certainly buy music to listen to. Both for playing and for pleasure. I won't learn a song just because it's popular or new, it has to catch my ear (or an ear in the band) and be listenable. There's too much material to choose from to waste time learning a song we don't like, it doesn't serve the song, it doesn't serve the audience, and it doesn't do us any good.

For pleasure, music will always be my entertainment. Specially live performance DVD's and stuff I can't play, like piano music. I still look forward to ZZ Tops new album, and heard a few songs off of Van Halen's newest and just might buy it.

However, I do tend to stop listening to songs that I play in the band.

I too have to like the song in order for me to play it. That's true for the rest of my band. It is that factor (and the fact that we play a lot of songs that you don't hear everyday) that separates us from other local bar bands.

One thing I noticed is that I don't practice songs I do with the band.

For example, we used to play Ace Frehley's "Snow Blind" (although it only lasted one gig....It's an awesome song and we all love it, but we just couldn't do it as a band). Before I hipped my bass player to it, I jammed that song all the time when I played by myself. When we started playing it, I hardly ever practiced it alone.

I too have to like the song in order for me to play it. That's true for the rest of my band. It is that factor (and the fact that we play a lot of songs that you don't hear everyday) that separates us from other local bar bands.

One thing I noticed is that I don't practice songs I do with the band.

For example, we used to play Ace Frehley's "Snow Blind" (although it only lasted one gig....It's an awesome song and we all love it, but we just couldn't do it as a band). Before I hipped my bass player to it, I jammed that song all the time when I played by myself. When we started playing it, I hardly ever practiced it alone.

I'm the same way. Once I know the song I only practice it with the band and play songs we don't do by myself. It's a good way to avoid burn out and every so often a real gem comes out of it. There's less of a chance of coming up with cool new songs to do if you just practice the set lists.

I love getting the "We love the songs you play" compliment. You're supposed to let compliments roll of your back, but when it's a compliment like that it's about your product, not your playing. It's hard for me to let those go [blush]

This year has been a stellar year for new rock album releases:

Joe Walsh - Analog Man

Jack White - Blunderbuss

The Cult - Choice of Weapon

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge

Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

Joe Bonamassa - Driving Towards the Daylight

And we're only in June. :)

Archived