Gibson Brands Forums

how'd jimmy page stay in tune?

nikko18

i just got some size nine strings on my les paul cause im just kinda trying out different sizes. they are really hard to keep in tune, like my low E always goes out of tune when i hit it but then goes back into tune :D

jimmy page used size 8s how did he do this?

also i would like to say that before anyone says get bigger strings im liking them this size, just not the tuning stability.

Are you stringing your guitar correctly? When I re string my guitars I spend about 10 mins stretching the strings pulling them then re tuning... not only does this pre stretch them but it ensures the string is as tight as can be at the tuners... I then only have to make fine adjustments to my tuning when Iam playing..

Regards

Flight959

Are you stringing your guitar correctly? When I re string my guitars I spend about 10 mins stretching the strings pulling them then re tuning... not only does this pre stretch them but it ensures the string is as tight as can be at the tuners... I then only have to make fine adjustments to my tuning when Iam playing..

What flight said. I've been using 9s for decades and have no problems as long as I stretch the strings after putting on a new set.

What Thermionik said too. If you're hitting the string hard or fretting them too tightly, the guitar will sound out of tune there too, especially when playing open chords.

If I remember correctly about page - if you drink enough Jack Daniels it really doesn't matter. Especially today with auto-tune and pro-tools for recording out of tune is a minor thing... well at least if you flat the 3rd it's a minor thing.

well im not fretting the e at all and i try to hit lightly because my dad says its better for tone. but i think it's just that my strings aren't finished stretching out and my tuners are not the best ever. it's still weird though.

I've discovered over the years that the best way to stretch new strings is to tune the guitar up one whole step and just let it set for a day or overnight. Then retune it, but always tune it from a lower tone going up (tuning up) to reach the tone.

Page was rarely in perfect tune but he was very good at playing around slight mistunings.I consider him the best sloppy player that ever picked up a les paul.

...second would be Joe Perry.

Hendrix was the king of playing out of tune and making it work(most of the time)

It's a mechanical effect and there's not much you can do about it without going to heavier gauge strings. The strings sharp when you strike them then settle back into proper tune. You could tune for the sharp, but the anything with sustain will be flat. I'm at work right now so I don't have the reference here, but it's a well known effect. Nothing can be done except don't hit the low strings so hard or change to heavier guages.

Archived