Gibson Brands Forums

London 2012...Farce or FANTASTIC

D28boy

because you can't run 10m/sec when you re in a stand position (don't mean you, speak in generally)

So you have to run the next 90meters in less than 8seconds.

10 meters is a long way. Even if his step is 1.5m as he is running, he have to do about six and a half steps in a second...

Do you think that can any human being to run 10 meters in less that a second?

Just because he is practicing?...

I don't know, this is just my opinion

It's happened right? That's what training will do for ya...

Guest farnsbarns

Oh I see, it's just that here you presented your foundationless opinion as fact...

"new" Olympic games, has nothing to do with the "real" Olympic Games. Those records that athletes doing can't be by humans.

Companies that making pills, taking the first, second, maybe third places too.

The most powerful company, with the most power pills that can't be searched, are the winners of the Olympic Games.

Now that it's clear that this is an opinion with no foundation it's a bit different.

I suppose when society spends decades celebrating mediocrity and a generation comes to expect a pat on the back for doing OK we can expect that it may be hard to accept true success and achievement from others.

"new" Olympic games, has nothing to do with the "real" Olympic Games. Those records that athletes doing can't be by humans.

Companies that making pills, taking the first, second, maybe third places too.

The most powerful company, with the most power pills that can't be searched, are the winners of the Olympic Games.

Companies and Brands all over. Where was the humans (athletes)?... You have to read, who was the purposes of real Olympic Games... Kindness etc.

I didn't watch anything of the Olympic Games,

but a friend of me, told me, that in the start ceremony, someone told that "Olympic Games came back home".

Really? Had the Olympic Games started in the United Kingdom?... What can I say... :)

...and yes... I think that no human being can run 100m in 9.5sec

It means that is running 10m/sec including the first 10m too, otherwise someone have to run 10m at about half a second...

Do you think that is that possible?...

Winning time by Ralph Craig in 1912 was 10.8 seconds and this was before the era of modern pharmaceuticals. Bolt's 2012 time was 9.63. With the advent of modern sports science, strength training and the spotting and development of talent in general do you really find this time surprising?

Haven't you also noticed that the athletes accelerate as they gain momentum?

Where I come from we would say that "you talk complete boll**ks."

Edit: Your Achilles heel isn't between your ears by any chance is it? [flapper]

Although my 'Olympic farce' post was removed, I have to hold my hands up and say they were a success. The bits that I did watch were good. the crowds seemed happy and all went well. I do think they covered up the empty seats thing. They tried not to show them. But that's the right thing to do.

I think a major thing showed up at these games though. They showed that our 'football/soccer' stars are a load of overpaid pussies. They failed dismally again. Whereas the hardworking athletes shone through. Perhaps the Football authorities in this country should take a long hard look at the game and how poor it is. We read about players being in nightclubs before games and that can't be right. Does this thing happen in the USA? Do your Baseball/Football stars fail through poor discipline?

It depends on the sport, but yeah, a lot of the first and second year players in the NFL don't do nearly as well as they should. I'm not sure about baseball, but there are more college football stars who fail because of attitude problems than make it, particularly if you look at first round draft picks. since the soccer tourney was a U-23, I can relate my college experience and say that at that age playing hung over or even drunk doesn't seem to make that big a difference. My junior year we partied our butts off and ended up going to the national semifinal match. the next year we decided to be "serious" and toned it down. We ended up with a losing record because we weren't loose enough to play properly. It's all about attitude. Also, the British game works best on wet, muddy pitches, and you didn't have that for this tournament.

The Olympics bother me for only one reason: it seems the wealthier the country the better its odds at aquiring medals. This is logical considering they have great facilities and great trainers and so on...*cough$$$ I hate the pressure it puts on less fortunate countries that have been ransacked by dictators and corrupt politicos. I hate that some poor countries sacrifice resources to create the illusion that they too can compete with first world countries choking dimes out of citizens to train contenders who will more than likely never hear their anthom.

It should be about coming together to celebrate athletisism and it should build pride. Instead, it becomes an athlete bashing event (how rude the media was to Phelps when he didn't get that ONE gold medal just before he got more medals than anyone in history) and it becomes a walk of shame for the have-nots.

My country got the gold in the only sport that matters to me, so I'm happy, but it pains me to watch the same four superpowers win again and again and again.

Not that this makes it a farce, just makes it depressing to me.

I used to watch the Olympics but in the past few years I've grown cynical and very suspicious of them due to the fact that usually after any Olympic games recently quite a few medals have been reclaimed because the winner had tested positive for doping etc. I'm extremely suspicious of China as they are so Hell bent on winning and being seen as the best that they have probably invested countless millions in finding fool-proof ways to beat all the known tests-after all they've been caught at it several times in the past.The 16 year old girl swimmer from China has even beaten men's Olympic times,this really is a red flag that China has most likely found a way to beat the system and in doing so will have a legion of super athletes by the time the next summer Olympics roll around.This girl was most likely their Guinea Pig and these Olympics were just a test run for their newly developed system to beat the drug tests.Years ago it was Russia that everyone was suspect of but now it's China and for good reason.

The Olympics bother me for only one reason: it seems the wealthier the country the better its odds at aquiring medals. This is logical considering they have great facilities and great trainers and so on...*cough$$$ I hate the pressure it puts on less fortunate countries that have been ransacked by dictators and corrupt politicos. I hate that some poor countries sacrifice resources to create the illusion that they too can compete with first world countries choking dimes out of citizens to train contenders who will more than likely never hear their anthom.

It should be about coming together to celebrate athletisism and it should build pride. Instead, it becomes an athlete bashing event (how rude the media was to Phelps when he didn't get that ONE gold medal just before he got more medals than anyone in history) and it becomes a walk of shame for the have-nots.

My country got the gold in the only sport that matters to me, so I'm happy, but it pains me to watch the same four superpowers win again and again and again.

Yes...many people feel the same...

Earlier in the year the Oxbridge Boat Race was messed up very effectively by a swimming protester, much front page publicity was garnered...the message was anti-elitism...closed shop public school moneyed education etc

People seem so desperate nowadays to win,win,win...

Thank goodness democracy allows peaceful protest and expression of contra points of view... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Hey Izzy....(nice guitar by the way) Does this mean you consider Great Britain a Superpower [blush] Those days are long gone!

Hey Izzy....(nice guitar by the way) Does this mean you consider Great Britain a Superpower [blush] Those days are long gone!

Your money is worth more than my money...and I'm in USA! Yeah, Britan is Super in many ways.

The Olympics bother me for only one reason: it seems the wealthier the country the better its odds at aquiring medals. This is logical considering they have great facilities and great trainers and so on...*cough$$$

I agree, sort of. While it may be true that wealthier countries tend to do better, I think it actually has more do with where that country places its priorities. True the US is wealthy, but in times past China, Germany, and the USSR did well in the Olympics while they were poor. Communist countries would weed out physically gifted children and put them in programs where they started training at a very early age.

The German Olympic team under Hitler's leadership wanted to excel to show the world the superioroty of the Aryan race. Jesse Owens helped overturn that notion.

I think it is interesting that the Olympics used to be strictly for amateurs. Our basketball team used to own the world using college players, only.

What I don't like about the Olympics is that many of the sports that are played shouldn't even be there. Plus, the Olympics are highly politicized. The ideal of the Olympics should be to celebrate sport and world commonality, unity, and brotherhood (sisterhood) under the umbrella of sports. I thought it was pretty cool when Uganda won its first gold metal in a generation when they blew away the field in the marathon.

We should celebrate human achievement in all things.

Your money is worth more than my money...and I'm in USA! Yeah, Britan is Super in many ways.

Well. from this side of the pond I have to disagree. Over £6 a gallon for fuel. We pay almost the same in £'s as you do in $'s for things. Yet the $ is worth so much more.

The only benefit here is the NHS. I can't believe that there are people against it over there. Greed again I suppose. Health care should be free for all in this world now.

Archived