Gibson Brands Forums

London 2012...Farce or FANTASTIC

D28boy

Although my 'Olympic farce' post was removed, I have to hold my hands up and say they were a success. The bits that I did watch were good. the crowds seemed happy and all went well. I do think they covered up the empty seats thing. They tried not to show them. But that's the right thing to do.

I think a major thing showed up at these games though. They showed that our 'football/soccer' stars are a load of overpaid pussies. They failed dismally again. Whereas the hardworking athletes shone through. Perhaps the Football authorities in this country should take a long hard look at the game and how poor it is. We read about players being in nightclubs before games and that can't be right. Does this thing happen in the USA? Do your Baseball/Football stars fail through poor discipline?

I was without any media access for most of the time (holiday) but I saw the opening ceremony and thought it was very well thought through and acted out.

The sporting side of it seemed to go really well indeed with three countries winning their first ever Olympic medals.

As far as the performance of the host country is concerned;

I remember watching quite a bit of Britain's abysmal showing at the '96 games in Atlanta. I've just Wiki'd to check my facts and we managed to win a grand total of ONE gold medal, ending up 36th in the rankings...

We've improved.

I've been back in London for the past week and there is a great feeling of cameraderie in the place with everyone getting along just swell.

There were many hereabouts who were anticipating a monumental failure and the resultant embarrassment-factor on a global scale but (afaik) nothing went wrong. All in all a 'tick and a star' from me.

One discussion I've had with a few friends has centred around an award bestowed anually by the BBC - the 'Sports Personality of the Year' - the recipient of which is voted for by members of the public. Before the Olympic Games it seemed that Bradley Wiggins was a shoo-in due to his victory in cycling's Tour de France; the first ever win by a Briton in the event. This looked even more likely when he won Olympic Gold in the Time Trial just a few days after the Games kicked-off.

Now, however, there are half-a-dozen (or more) sportsmen/women who can stake a claim to the prize.

P.

I think it was great. I think the London olympics people did a great job. Seems like all the security issues went o.k.

The TV coverage in the US - through NBC - was pretty lousy, as usual. They're just downright cheap. They have a really thin sports staff to start with, and they try to popularize the broadcasts with all the "up close and personal stuff". As a real sports fan, it makes my hair hurt to have to listen to it.

NBC has a lot of channels and hours of coverage, but it's mostly just the same few sports in a very few venues with a minimum of qualified announcers.

But it's been that way for awhile.

I hate the ceremonial stuff, but if that's what they have to put on TV to make money, then that's o.k.

Olympic TV coverage has never really been like real sports TV coverage. It's just getting worse all the time.

I think it was great. I think the London olympics people did a great job. Seems like all the security issues went o.k.

The TV coverage in the US - through NBC - was pretty lousy, as usual. They're just downright cheap. They have a really thin sports staff to start with, and they try to popularize the broadcasts with all the "up close and personal stuff". As a real sports fan, it makes my hair hurt to have to listen to it.

NBC has a lot of channels and hours of coverage, but it's mostly just the same few sports in a very few venues with a minimum of qualified announcers.

But it's been that way for awhile.

I hate the ceremonial stuff, but if that's what they have to put on TV to make money, then that's o.k.

Olympic TV coverage has never really been like real sports TV coverage. It's just getting worse all the time.

Can't you get the BBC online in America? I have to admit, the coverage was first class. The BBC laid on so many channels so that all the events were covered and don't forget....no ads as the BBC is publicly funded. I've never minded the licence fee. I hate ads.

That bit at the end where Brian May comes on was cool... Apparently that PA system has a million watts lol

Imagine having a jam through that.. And he was quite noisy (but in the good rock way) :)

But also that bit with Eric Idle... I was really shocked that they included the line "Lifes a piece of s**t, when you look at it" hahah I wonder if he was meant to do that or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYe3VJmsQUo

I found this article :)

During the live performance, Idle kept in the line “Life’s a piece of s**t, when you look at it,” which caught the NBC censors off guard (NBC live-streamed the the closing ceremony online first before broadcasting it on NBC television hours later), but they bleeped it out for the television broadcast.

What did you think ?

Never been so proud to be British.........3rd place in the medal table (if you use the version that recognises winning); opening and closing ceremonies that celebrated what it means to be British in the modern world; an a crowd atmosphere that was the greatest of any olympics bar none- even the aussie press are recognising that this games has suprpassed Sydney 2000 as the greatest of the modern era.

Although my 'Olympic farce' post was removed, I have to hold my hands up and say they were a success. The bits that I did watch were good. the crowds seemed happy and all went well. I do think they covered up the empty seats thing. They tried not to show them. But that's the right thing to do.

I think a major thing showed up at these games though. They showed that our 'football/soccer' stars are a load of overpaid pussies. They failed dismally again. Whereas the hardworking athletes shone through. Perhaps the Football authorities in this country should take a long hard look at the game and how poor it is. We read about players being in nightclubs before games and that can't be right. Does this thing happen in the USA? Do your Baseball/Football stars fail through poor discipline?

I almost detected a hint of patriotism there.......OK, maybe not. [flapper]

The problem with our footy is at grass roots- all the parents/coaches of young kids are obsessed with winning at the expense of coaching skills and player development..."Get rid of it!" is our motto at present. If we replaced all the kids' leagues with Futsal that would be a big step in the right direction. I'd actually like to see Futsal at the Olympics rather than 11-aside. I see no point in duplicating the World and Continental competitions we have already.

One discussion I've had with a few friends has centred around an award bestowed anually by the BBC - the 'Sports Personality of the Year' - the recipient of which is voted for by members of the public. Before the Olympic Games it seemed that Bradley Wiggins was a shoo-in due to his victory in cycling's Tour de France; the first ever win by a Briton in the event. This looked even more likely when he won Olympic Gold in the Time Trial just a few days after the Games kicked-off.

Now, however, there are half-a-dozen (or more) sportsmen/women who can stake a claim to the prize.

Mo Farah for me- he has both the personalilty and the double gold success!

"new" Olympic games, has nothing to do with the "real" Olympic Games. Those records that athletes doing can't be by humans.

Companies that making pills, taking the first, second, maybe third places too.

The most powerful company, with the most power pills that can't be searched, are the winners of the Olympic Games.

Companies and Brands all over. Where was the humans (athletes)?... You have to read, who was the purposes of real Olympic Games... Kindness etc.

I didn't watch anything of the Olympic Games,

but a friend of me, told me, that in the start ceremony, someone told that "Olympic Games came back home".

Really? Had the Olympic Games started in the United Kingdom?... What can I say... :)

Guest farnsbarns

"new" Olympic games, has nothing to do with the "real" Olympic Games. Those records that athletes doing can't be by humans.

Companies that making pills, taking the first, second, maybe third places too.

The most powerful company, with the most power pills that can't be searched, are the winners of the Olympic Games.

Companies and Brands all over. Where was the humans (athletes)?... You have to read, who was the purposes of real Olympic Games... Kindness etc.

I didn't watch anything of the Olympic Games,

but a friend of me, told me, that in the start ceremony, someone told that "Olympic Games came back home".

Really? Had the Olympic Games started in the United Kingdom?... What can I say... :)

What are you on about? Do you have any reason to believe every winner was doping?

And yes, the modern Olympics started in the UK, was dreamt up by a Brit and the first modern Olympics were held in Britain.

Scurry back under your stone.

To the 3 people who voted farce, I'd live to hear why?

Guest farnsbarns

I didn't notice that Olympic Games has a new name that is "Modern Olympics". If it is that, you re right, but if it isn't, that's wrong ;)

Perhaps you could investigate for yourself. Try Google.com, it's a great website where you can search for information.

...the modern Olympics started in the UK, was dreamt up by a Brit and the first modern Olympics were held in Britain...

I know what you mean, farns, but whilst we could debate for a while about the importance of the various games staged in the 17th, 18th and first half of the 19th centuries I think it's that Frenchman, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, who can be credited as being the father of the Modern Olympics as we know them.

The official language of the Olympic movement is French and, if you paid attention, Bond, you'll have noticed all announcements were made first in French.

The first of these modern competitions was, of course, held in Athens (paying honour to the original games) and the second competition was held in Paris.

London was only fourth to stage the games, in 1908, after the United States had their first go four years earlier.

I didn't notice that Olympic Games has a new name that is "Modern Olympics". If it is that, you re right, but if it isn't, that's wrong ;)

The Modern Olympics are always officially described as being the Games "...of the Modern Era..."

P.

Perhaps you could investigate for yourself. Try Google.com, it's a great website where you can search for information.

Thank you for sharing such an information with me, didn't know about Google.com...

...but I ll stay in books, cause this is not an investigation. This is, I m having a look...

Yes pippy, you re right, thats exactly why I think that the president of International Olympic Committee,

couldn't say that Olympic Games came back home...

Guest farnsbarns

Try looking up William Penny-Brookes who really started the ball rolling with the 1850 games held in Shropshire, England. The original Modern Olympic Games, a phrase Mr Penny-Brookes used first.

Guest farnsbarns

...and yes... I think that no human being can run 100m in 9.5sec

It means that is running 10m/sec including the first 10m too, otherwise someone have to run 10m at about half a second...

Do you think that is that possible?...

Yes, I've seen it. What reason do you have for doubting it?

Try looking up William Penny-Brookes who really started the ball rolling with the 1850 games held in Shropshire, England. The original Modern Olympic Games, a phrase Mr Penny-Brookes used first.

:lol:

I don't really think of, and I quote: "..the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood of Wenlock.." as being truly 'Modern Olympian' in magnitude (Chloe had to do a project on the Olympics - both the ancient and the modern editions - for a school project just before the hols so we read bucketloads on the subject).

To speed things up a bit here's stuff simply cut'n'paste'd from Wiki;

"Modern Games

Forerunners;

Various revivals of the term "Olympic" to describe athletic events in the modern era have been attested since the 17th century. The first such event was the Cotswold Games or "Cotswold Olimpick Games", an annual meeting near Chipping Campden, England, involving various country sports. It was first organized by the lawyer Robert Dover between 1612 and 1642, with several later revivals leading up to the present day. The British Olympic Association, in its bid for the 2012 Olympic Games in London, mentioned these games as "the first stirrings of Britain's Olympic beginnings".[19]

L'Olympiade de la République, a national Olympic festival held annually from 1796 to 1798 in Revolutionary France also attempted to emulate the ancient Olympic Games.[20] The competition included several disciplines from the ancient Greek Olympics. The 1796 Games also marked the introduction of the metric system into sport.[20]

In 1850 an Olympian Class was started by Dr. William Penny Brookes at Much Wenlock, in Shropshire, England. In 1859, Dr. Brookes changed the name to Wenlock Olympian Games. This annual sports festival continues to this day.[21] The Wenlock Olympian Society was founded by Dr. Brookes on 15 November 1860.[22]

Between 1862 and 1867, Liverpool held an annual Grand Olympic Festival. Devised by John Hulley and Charles Melly, these games were the first to be wholly amateur in nature and international in outlook, although only 'gentlemen amateurs' could compete.[23][24] The programme of the first modern Olympiad in Athens in 1896 was almost identical to that of the Liverpool Olympics.[25] In 1865 Hulley, Dr. Brookes and E.G. Ravenstein founded the National Olympian Association in Liverpool, a forerunner of the British Olympic Association. Its articles of foundation provided the framework for the International Olympic Charter.[26] In 1866, a national Olympic Games in Great Britain was organized at London's Crystal Palace.[27]"

Crystal Palace, Farns! Just half-a-mile up the hill from me! WE INVENTED THE MODERN OLYMPICS IN CRYSTAL PALACE!

HUZZAH ! ! !

[lol]

P.

Yes, I've seen it. What reason do you have for doubting it?

because you can't run 10m/sec when you re in a stand position (don't mean you, speak in generally)

So you have to run the next 90meters in less than 8seconds.

10 meters is a long way. Even if his step is 1.5m as he is running, he have to do about six and a half steps in a second...

Do you think that can any human being to run 10 meters in less that a second?

Just because he is practicing?...

I don't know, this is just my opinion

Archived