Gibson Brands Forums

Well. What Have I Missed?

Buc McMaster

Yeah, yeah. I been AWOL for a time. I'm sure some of you didn't even notice, and that's probably as it should be. Just wandered off, ya know.......no particular reason. So I thought I'd wander back by and say hello......... Here's what's been occupying a lot of my time lately. Just set this up about 4 weeks ago and have been fiddling with it trying to get the light right and the water right and the cycle completed and the plants growing and the algae under control and, and, and.........all that crap that those that keep aquariums know about. Anyway, now it's right, and my new angelfish arrived last Friday and are settling in well. Knocking one another about to establish who's king of the hill and all that.

fluval2.jpg

I think I've picked up my guitar twice in the last couple of months. About the same for the ukulele. Just haven't been in a playing state of mind of late. I did watch some of the London Olympics and was inspired to scribble a few lines.........a reason to at least make an effort to play again. We'll see how that pans out........ I'll be around.........

Good picture – I more than like aquarium shots and we had these particular fish in the living-room-tank when I was a kid.

They are called scalares here and come in some silverblack burst as well.

Hope you still have the trio in the lefty back-hand.

Have to add that I really like plants and the way they move. It's the residents around and through the under-surface greenery that does it for me.

The 3-dimensional right before your eyes, yet totally unapproachable environment. In fact I try to arrange the temple here a bit like an aquarium – got lots of greens plus a zone with rather big windows, which should make my guests feel like fish. Nicks garden has that sub-water quality too. . . .

Welcome back, Buc.

As DanvilleRob said, we had four guitars going on Streets of Helldorado at SANSJAM, sitting around in the cool of Fred's music room. Sounded pretty good, actually, with Bob singing.

Yeah....even when Buc's taking a break, he's still famous! (infamous?)

Helldorado at SANSJAM?!? I'd like to have heard that! No video, I suppose.....

Yes, Em, they are scalares, biologically speaking. And these particular scalares are from a lake called Manacapuru in Brazil....well.....these are of the first generation of a wild caught pair from that lake, one generation removed from wild. Good looking fish that demand to be fed when approaching the tank already after only 48 hours residence.

EA: what did I forget from 20 seconds ago? :unsure:

Thanks for the welcome, folks!

Good to see you buc. I'm a fellow aquarium lover too. I've slowly been adding to my 46 gallon bow front for awhile. Love your setup there! I have been going for a lake bottom look with bogwood and natural gravel.....few live plants here and there. I don't have the skill required for the beauty you have created yet :)

Yes, Em, they are scalares, biologically speaking. And these particular scalares are from a lake called Manacapuru in Brazil....well.....these are of the first generation of a wild caught pair from that lake, one generation removed from wild. Good looking fish that demand to be fed when approaching the tank already after only 48 hours residence.

First generation Brazilian outlakers, , , , okay – Sounds romantic, but also as if they might be quite fragile. I remember scalares as one of the more sensitive 'brands' anyway. Hope they don't tilt. My late father had a vision of building an aquarium into our oak corner-closet and keep a few black scalares in the swaying weed there. Though it never happened, the vision impressed and never left.

How about the trio – is it fair to say the fish swallowed the Bird. . . .

BUC!! Welcome back! Glad to see yet another forumer from "the old days" back in action!

Nice aquarium. I'm not a fishkeeper myself, but can't walk past an aquarium without having a long, meditative gaze at it. Mesmerising things.

Oh, and JCV, that OJ is incredibly beautiful...I've GASsed for one of those for a long, long time-a right hander, of course, but that small burst is mouth-watering!

Helldorado at SANSJAM?!? I'd like to have heard that! No video, I suppose.....

No, unfortunately....we were bad about video this year..... was just too hot.

We'll do better next year, ('cause we'll move SANSJAM out of August!).

Archived