Gibson Brands Forums

Might just splurge

ksdaddy

So last year I bought a Harley, cash money. I went all my life wishing and finally just DID it. I could drop dead tomorrow. I've put about 120 miles on it. But ya know what? It's there if I want it.

I have a 1943 Farmall H tractor that I bought in 2003 for $300. Granted it was rough and I fixed a lot of things but it's not worth much more than that now. However there's a well to do farmer that collects and restores Farmalls and THIS one was bought new by his great grandfather. 3 years ago he offered me $2000 and the last thing he said a few months ago was, "I'll sign a blank check and leave it on your desk."

I think I want a Corvette.

Might be the times, might be the market, whatever... I thought "Corvette" equalled five digits automatically. I see them all over craigslist within the state for $4000 and $5000. Not really desirable ones, ones from the 80s or so, but Corvettes nonetheless.

Between the Farmall and maybe losing a couple guitars I could plunk cash down.

So tempting....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't agreed on a price yet. I told him it was his when I was done with it but I really don't use it anymore, now that I have the new house with 3 acres of golf course for a lawn and no woods.

I figure if he'll go $3000 or better, then I can easily dump a couple guitars and turn that into 5k. I know 80s Vettes aren't all that desirable but I found a very nice '84 with fresh black paint for $4500.

I saw a 1960s vet parked outside the grocery store and I about DIED! Walked around it like 3 times, bags in hands.

80s will be vintage like that very soon...your daughter may one day roll in it and get the same reaction I had.

Life is short and if you're not tapping into savings AND if the guitars won't hurt to let go of, whatcha waiting for?

The 2013 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1. How does a 205mph top speed sound? It's yours if you write down about $115,000 on that blank check.

Buy the Z06 instead. It costs about $35K less and has essentially the same performance specs (same 0-60 time and top end of 200 instead of 205). Mines coming up on 6 years old and still lists for low $40's.

I know 80s Vettes aren't all that desirable but I found a very nice '84 with fresh black paint for $4500.

Yeah, do some internet digging. There are some of the late 70 - mid 80 Vette's that are classified as kind of "WTF did they even make this car for" kind of thing, but it's sporadic. That's when GM didn't know what they wanted to do.

That said, a bad Corvette is better than no Corvette at all! [thumbup]

I've owned 3, a pre owned 91 (C4), new '99 (C5) and new '06 Z06 (C6) which I still have. They just keep getting better and better, especially since they've become more involved in endurance/sports car racing.

You don't want to be sitting there 5 years from now wondering "If I'd have only bought that...(fill in the blank).

This one is an '87 "Larry Kramer"... who the heck is that?

$4200 cash.

xgimj4.jpg

He builds custom cars, but to me it seems like he only does bodies. Look like a body kit. Maybe some performance mods...interesting. I'd like to see whats under the hood. Be ware, new paint job doesn't mean good car, just means new paint job... doesn't mean good one either.

Go with the Vette, you will never buy a 60's one for $5K, unless it's in a box. So get the newest one you can for the money. Check it out well, nothing is cheap on a Vette! Not as bad as Eurorockets, but brakes and tires can set you back a big chunk..

Why hasn't anyone said, "YOLO"?

Only thing that gets me hotter than than a vintage Gibson is a sweet ride...or a hot chick.

Seriously, though, how much will the insurance cost?

Are you handy with repairs?

Those would be my two fears; high insurance premiums and breaking down.

My wife has wanted a new one for a few years but not gonna happen while I'm still alive. Ive said it before I worked as a fatal accident investigator for four years and the only thing I saw more people killed on was motorcycles. I have seen Corvettes wrecked so bad we had to call street sweepers out to pick them up off the road. The newer ones are better but the old ones up through the 80's were terrible in crashes and the majority of the 80's models are really stiff and uncomfortable to drive. I have a good friend that rebuilds and works on old corvettes and he has told me several times that the scariest cars in the world to buy are 70 and 80 Vet's with fresh paint since it's usually covering ton's of poorly repaired cracks for the stiff fiberglass bodies on the loose frames of those years. I wouldn't let it stop you from living the dream but be careful or it could be a yard ornament and end up with less miles than that Sporty you bought. Ive always found that sports cars are like tattoo's look for quality not for a good price. Ive known too many people that got a good deal on a sportscar and ended up paying more than they ever dreamed there kind of like boats the two happiest days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and then the day you finally sell the damn thing.

When my wife starts complaining again ever few years, I just get out photos of wrecked corvettes and hand her the keys to my Porsche. it usually takes about two weeks before she's over her sports car dreams and back driving her Range Rover.

Archived