Gibson Brands Forums

Static electricity on the guitar neck (help)

oxigen

Hi! My name is Peter and live in Sweden. Sorry for my bad English..

Pleas help me with a big problem.

I by my "Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus" abaot 1 month ago in Sweden. This a new Gibson guitar.

The Guitar

My link

The problem is on the guitar neck. Some staticy noises from the neck when I play up en down with my hand.

I can listen staticy noises in the amp, really clear! Even i can feel det Static without the amp. I can feel in my hair on the hand.

Same problem is if i play with wireless system (Line 6 G30) The floor is wood not carpet.

I try go back to the shop and described the problem but the engineer say "nothing I can do". ****, this is not a cheap crap guitar, this is a Gibson!!!

But he check the ground cable, this i OK.

I try clean the neck with a antistatic spray, not help. Efter one min. is the static back.

I try rub the nack but the static coming back.

I have 2 Les Paul guitar and 2 SG guitar and one Ibanez RG350, nobody of this guitar have problem with Static electricity on the guitar neck.. Only my Gibson. :(

What to do?????? Tip?

Maybe is not correct paint on the neck???

Nobody can´t help me. Nobody hear about this problem before.

The Video:

http://youtu.be/oig9lFEx2aU

Peter,

I don't think you are on your own with this problem; there is some discussion here: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/124285-crackling-my-les-paul-tradition-iced-tea-burst.html

I've never had much of a problem with static myself (2005 LP and 2007 SG), except when I was using a Class II (unearthed), but mains-powered, practice amp I borrowed whilst mine usual amp was being fixed (never had the problem on a battery-powered practice amp, though). Got crackling each time my hand touched the strings and the only way to stop it was to ensure picking hand was always resting on the bridge, or alternatively run a grounding wire from a jack plug to a local socket outlet earth pin ! I don't use that kind of amp anymore, so no problem.

Edited this post, as I should have stated that in the UK, as in some other English-speaking countries we use the term "earth", where other English-speaking countries may use "ground". "Earth" and "ground" are often interchangeable when talking about electrical circuits.

Hej Peter! On the last weekend I went to my father's place. He is a retired electro-technician. He has restored my vintage tube amps and keeps them in shape. We made some maintenance work on one of my amps and also rewired my Tele to a 4-way switch layout. After tweaking the Tele I had the same problem with it. As soon as I lifted my hands off the guitar it started to hum like hell. My father checked the guitar and said that the grounds are OK, He has no idea. I went home, plugged in the guitar and it was OK! We have recently rewired my house too and installed a new grounding post, while my father lives in an older house where those repairs are yet to be done. So, maybe Your problem is caused by the electrical network's failure, not the guitar's? Also keep chemicals away from the fragile nitro finish of Your guitar or You might end up with an ugly looking expensive piece of wood... Cheers... Bence

Hey,

I have a 2012 LP Standard and I have the same issue. Every time I touch the metal it will crackle and pop (like static). I thought it was my amp head and took the head into Guitar Center where I purchased six weeks ago and we tried a new LP off the shelf. The same kind of crackle and pop happened. They ordered me a new amp head and the same pop and crackle still exists.

I checked the ground with an ohm meter and everything is grounding. I opened the back cover off and I noticed the silver bare shield wire was pulled out (actually cut too short) of the four wire connector. The connector connects the neck pick up to the circuit board.

I took it to Guitar Center in Atlanta and the fellow (checked it in and left it for three days) checked it out. Said it was not making any noise. I explained again I saw the connector had the bare wire not connected and he said he reconnected it. I have it home and it is doing the same thing again.

I am betting Gibson has a manufacturing defect or someone who is assembling the connectors is not leaving long enough wire to the connector.

The connectors are small and I am either going to take it to another warranty repair shop or try to find another connector. I am not a big fan of those connectors They should have screw lugs or solder post for ease of replacement.

Tom

post-43998-028885100 1346464755_thumb.jpg

They should have screw lugs or solder post for ease of replacement.

Tom

Tom,

Screw lugs are not necessarily a good plan for reliable connections in a portable/transportable device.

No problem with soldered joints provided they're done well, but, of course, with manually-soldered joints, it takes a lot of experience to get this consistently right (a good joint that will last many 10s of years without problems): even the most experienced soldering technicians can have a bad joint (or bad day).

Which is how you end up with these multi-connectors and crimps. Which are great, if everyone follows the rules, and you have the tools to repair them (how many types of DIFFERENT crimping pliers and insertion/extraction tools do I have in my tookit ???) etc.

Thanks for all the answers! :)

Guys! The static is left in the guitar, even when it is not plugged in the amp. I can feel it in my hand when I play without amp.

I do not think there is a problem with the electronics.

Must be something in the paint that keeps the static charging. Have checked the "ground" and is not a problem.

Tom,

Screw lugs are not necessarily a good plan for reliable connections in a portable/transportable device.

No problem with soldered joints provided they're done well, but, of course, with manually-soldered joints, it takes a lot of experience to get this consistently right (a good joint that will last many 10s of years without problems): even the most experienced soldering technicians can have a bad joint (or bad day).

Which is how you end up with these multi-connectors and crimps. Which are great, if everyone follows the rules, and you have the tools to repair them (how many types of DIFFERENT crimping pliers and insertion/extraction tools do I have in my tookit ???) etc.

Hey,

Do you know what type of a connector and size it is? Do you crimp a pin on and push it in or push the wires in a crimp the connector? Who sells the connectors?

Thanks

Hey,

Do you know what type of a connector and size it is? Do you crimp a pin on and push it in or push the wires in a crimp the connector? Who sells the connectors?

Thanks

From the look of them (e.g pics in this thread : http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/83101-new-sgs-still-have-pcbs/), they appear to be the type where you crimp a pin on the wire, and insert into the moulded multi-plug, a little like some motherboard-USB connections (to case USB sockets) on desktop PCs.

In the Les Paul cavity pictured, neither of the plugs seems to be "IDC" (insulation displacement) types - but prepared to be wrong as the pics are relatively small to see that detail !

IDC connections are relatively good for many signal types, and often cope with relatively high currents and lots of vibration, even on mains appliances. But with guitar pickups being high impedance, I'm not sure what they'd be like with corrosion / mild oxidation over a number of years!

From the look of them (e.g pics in this thread : http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/83101-new-sgs-still-have-pcbs/), they appear to be the type where you crimp a pin on the wire, and insert into the moulded multi-plug, a little like some motherboard-USB connections (to case USB sockets) on desktop PCs.

In the Les Paul cavity pictured, neither of the plugs seems to be "IDC" (insulation displacement) types - but prepared to be wrong as the pics are relatively small to see that detail !

IDC connections are relatively good for many signal types, and often cope with relatively high currents and lots of vibration, even on mains appliances. But with guitar pickups being high impedance, I'm not sure what they'd be like with corrosion / mild oxidation over a number of years!

Update: from this thread: My linkhttp://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/62929-gibsons-pcb-case-upgrading-pots-caps.html

I'm now more convinced that they are crimp a pin on the wire and insert the pin in the multi-plug. But I've not yet seen one "in the flesh" as it were

On Gibson's website it says that it is nitrocellulose lacquer on this guitar.

Still think there is something wrong with the paint.

The first image shows my "new" Gibson, who is 2 months old (made in 2011) and the other Epiphone is from 2005. This I bought used and still played at pretty much.

As you can see, it's not so fun. Gibson guitar looks worse than Epiphone who is 7 years old. Also on the front so you can see stripes, small scratches, probably after polishing machine.

Probably too soft varnish has not cured. This might cause static charge in the guitar.

lack1.jpg

I would have hoped that a guitar built in 2011 would have cured by late 2012.

It has been stated here a number of times to clean nitro with Naphtha (aka lighter fluid)

maybe that will cut down on the static charge.

(BTW dryer sheets are heat activated, they shouldn't do a whole lot unless they're at dry heat levels.)

On Gibson's website it says that it is nitrocellulose lacquer on this guitar.

Still think there is something wrong with the paint.

The first image shows my "new" Gibson, who is 2 months old (made in 2011) and the other Epiphone is from 2005. This I bought used and still played at pretty much.

As you can see, it's not so fun. Gibson guitar looks worse than Epiphone who is 7 years old. Also on the front so you can see stripes, small scratches, probably after polishing machine.

Probably too soft varnish has not cured. This might cause static charge in the guitar.

lack1.jpg

Maybe using the polishing machine made it static (looks like it scratched the finishes too)

• 3 months later...

I have a Gibson Les Paul Alex Lifeson Axcess with the Graph-Tech piezo ghost system.

I too have this "static" problem and it is there regardless of whether or not the guitar is plugged in. My static is replicated more around the pickup selector switch but is there when I rub my hand over the wood. It used to go nuts when I ran my hand over the plastic covers on the back. I had them all shielded and grounded. Static no longer present over the plastic but still present when I rub my hand over the wood. If I rub a cloth I get nothing but rubbing my bare hand over the wood creates the static with or without power.

I thought that the 9volt battery poweing the piezo was the issue and the fine folks at Graph Tech sent me a new board. The new board was installed and problem persists.

Good luck getting any help from Gibson. Graph Tech has actually sptent a few hours with me on the phone trying to trouble shoot... Nothing from Gibson but "weird, haven't heard of that before...send it in to one of our warranty centres and we can create a return ticket to have it shipped back to us at Gibson for inspection/repair". I was told this could take 3-4 months!!! I live in Canada and they have no warranty centres in Canada and I won't pay the shipping back to US to have it looked at.

I really think too that the problem is in the paint.... Something is holding/creating a static charge. Tried spraying my case interior with Static Guard spray, placed my acoustic guitar humidifier in the case and rubbed down neck and body with a fabric softener sheet.... Nothing helps. Grounds all check out fine.

For once Gibson should acknowledge a manufacturing flaw but they never will because this will cost them tons of money. Instead they pump out these guitars and now, even my collector guitar wil lose any re-sale value because anyone with knowledge will sense the static issue. I'm stuck with a noisy and static filled guitar. I can't tell you how frustrated I am.

Guest Farnsbarns

This is relatively common on new nitro guitars. I don't know how it starts but this is at least the 6th story I've heard. My gut feeling is it's the case lining. Happened on my '02 LP standard but it does disappear eventually. Try leaving it out the case for a week or so, see how you get on.

Thanks for the reply.... Stupd me....I left the Dessicant pouvh in the guitar case (those things are made to induce dryness for shipping etc.... No wonder my acoustic guitar humidifier wasn't doing anything. I have tossed that pouch and will take your advice and leave guitar out of case for a week or so and see if it solves the issue. Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks for the reply.... Stupd me....I left the Dessicant pouch in the guitar case (those things are made to suck moisture and to ensure dryness for shipping etc.... No wonder my acoustic guitar humidifier wasn't doing anything. I have tossed that pouch and will take your advice and leave guitar out of case for a week or so and see if it solves the issue. Thanks again for the reply.

Wipe the neck down with a dryer sheet. Like "Bounce" that we have in the US. It's static electricity from it being so dry in your house and you rubbing on the neck. Keep one in a plastic bag in your case so if you need it you'll have it. The plastic pickguard can also get static electricity and you might need to wipe that off once in awhile, or like somebody else said, stick a dryer sheet under the thing.

[confused]

I think this could be grounding-problem ,a "cold solder joint" ?

My first bet is on this: -I would check/re-solder the joint where the shielding around the neck-humbucker-wire, is soldered to the top, of one of the potmeters !

(..since it is ONLY the neck-humbucker that is causing this trouble)

other place to look regarding ground-issues:

-Ground from output-jack,should be soldered to top of one of the pots!(there`s a ground,and a hot-wire from jack)

-Ground-wire from bridge to one of the pot`s...(all the pot`s should be grounded together with a wire,like soldered "in a circle" )

-Tried a different guitar-cable?

:)

Cheers

Archived