Gibson Brands Forums

My dog is afraid of my amp...

burdger

So, I've always played acoustically until I recently bought my SG. I've been fiddling around with it without plugging it in until this weekend when I picked up a Rowland Cube-30. My dog never seemed to mind me playing. In fact, he would come and sit at my feet while I played a lot of the time. However, once I started playing around with my amp and the different effects, my dog runs and hides behind my wife and shakes uncontrollably. When she's not home and I play, he curls up on the couch and shakes like he's terrified that something is going to get him. The only other time I've seen him act like this is when I use the Shop Vac we have. Has anyone had any issues like this with pets before and have any ideas of how to make this better for him? I don't want to stop using the amp of course, but I also don't want to torture my dog!

I'm sorry to hear this but I don't think it will change. Many years ago when my Dad was alive he would be using tools in the garage and always a particular power drill would have the same effect on one of our dogs, even though she was in the house. We couldn't hear the noise but the dog could hear something unbearable and she would run away - literally miles, just run anywhere to get away from the noise. And this was a feisty little terrier who normally feared nothing.

So there may be some inaudible-to-us hum or buzz or something causing it. One idea - try hiding the amp somewhere and leaving it switched on without anything plugged in and all the controls at zero. If the dog still reacts then obviously that's it. But would it be different with any other amp? Doubt it very much.

Also a vacuum cleaner is something that a lot of dogs don't like, one of ours used to attack it as soon as he saw it!

I'm sorry to hear this but I don't think it will change. Many years ago when my Dad was alive he would be using tools in the garage and always a particular power drill would have the same effect on one of our dogs, even though she was in the house. We couldn't hear the noise but the dog could hear something unbearable and she would run away - literally miles, just run anywhere to get away from the noise. And this was a feisty little terrier who normally feared nothing.

So there may be some inaudible-to-us hum or buzz or something causing it. One idea - try hiding the amp somewhere and leaving it switched on without anything plugged in and all the controls at zero. If the dog still reacts then obviously that's it. But would it be different with any other amp? Doubt it very much.

Also a vacuum cleaner is something that a lot of dogs don't like, one of ours used to attack it as soon as he saw it!

Thanks for the reply. It is only once I start playing that he acts this way. And actually, when I very first got it, I was playing completely clean, and he didn't seem to mind. It wasn't until I started adding some distortion that he acted this way.

As for the vacuum, he doesn't really like the normal vacuum, but he deals with it, but the shop vac, he runs from. I always think he's going to pee on the floor when I turn that thing on.

My little guy flips when amps, power tools or anything loud goes on inside the house. He tries to find the quietest spot possible and just lays down.

He's just over a year old and has been like this since I've had him at 8 weeks old. I've found that even at something like a parade he squirms and tries to break free from his leash to run back into the house, however each time I make him sit through the ordeal he gets a bit better. Even in the house he is slowly acclimating to all of the noise that is created, though I must say it's quite around here most of the time.

Dogs have impeccable hearing and with that said I am sure most of them hate the noise of amps, power tools etc... However, some dogs can handle it as I know of plenty that sleep through such events.

I have heard that solid state amps are a bit harsher on dogs ears compared to tube amps. I'm not too sure if there is a validity to this statement other than sometimes he sits in the same room as me when the tube amp is on while never when a solid state amp is on.

Good luck with your pup, and I say don't get rid of either, just learn to live with both and hope for the best.

My Golden is fine with the amp with or without distortion for a while, then will go to a quieter room. My Cavalier will stay under the table next to me no matter what. I think some just have more sensitive hearing than others. The golden is also very afraid on thunder where the other is not. The comment about solid state amp vs tube may also have something to do with it.. My amps are both tube Don't get rid of the dog!! lol or the amp! he may adjust after a while perhaps start with a lower volume and work your way up if he seems comfortable. Good luck

Guest Farnsbarns

Fill your top pocket with treats.

Play a few notes at low volume.

Stop playing.

Call the dog over. If he wont come persevere and don't play again until he comes over.

Give treat and make a fuss when he does come to you.

Turn it up and repeat.

Once he is comfortable coming over just after you've played turn it down again and call him while you play. Again, persevere.

Turn up in increments again.

While calling him, if he doesn't want to come don't change your tone of voice to that "I bloody well mean it" tone that us dog owners (and parents I'll wager) all know. Keep it high pitched and happy.

This simply can't fail if you take it slowly and persevere.

Stop playing.

Call the dog over. If he wont come persevere and don't play again until he comes over.

Turn it up and repeat.

Once he is comfortable coming over just after you've played turn it down again and call him while you play. Again, persevere.

While calling him, if he doesn't want to come don't change your tone of voice to that "I bloody well mean it" tone that us dog owners (and parents I'll wager) all know. Keep it high pitched and happy.

I would try this. I think it has a good chance of doing the trick IF it can be done.

Classic dog training here. Let Doggie know it is cool, and REWARD him to think it is a GOOD thing.

I might add if your doggie don't like treats, he needs help. Maybe possibly beyond help. Maybe doesn't know he is a dog.

I was just thinking... what if you put a cheap soundhole pickup on your acoustic and pluged it into your amp. Play clean ta first and then gradually add in some distortion. Just a little at a time till he gets used to it. Pump it up a little bit at a time and maybe by the time you get to full out dirt he will be used to it.

I have heard the distortion that is built into those Roland Amps and I would run away as well. Kinda makes my skin crawl.

Just kidding. I don't have a clue as to what you can do.

LMAO, i think the distortion on Roland amps are fine, tried one myself, AND, my Commodore can produce better sounds with the floppy drive!

Stop playing.

Turn it up and repeat.

Tried this today, and it seems to be making a difference. I used cheese though, since he loves cheese. When I was done, I could tell he was still on edge, but he wasn't hiding. He was actually laying on the floor about 4 feet from me and the amp. Too much cheese is a bad thing though, so I'll try again tomorrow, and the next day. Maybe I'll get some hotdogs or something he'll really like to switch it up some.

Guest Farnsbarns

Tried this today, and it seems to be making a difference. I used cheese though, since he loves cheese. When I was done, I could tell he was still on edge, but he wasn't hiding. He was actually laying on the floor about 4 feet from me and the amp. Too much cheese is a bad thing though, so I'll try again tomorrow, and the next day. Maybe I'll get some hotdogs or something he'll really like to switch it up some.

Excellent stuff. If you keep it up I assure you that guitar time will become one of his favourite things.

Just BTW, liver cake is a great training treat. Most of 'em love it and it's cheap and healthy(er than cheese, hotdogs, biscuits etc).

burdger

Have you stopped to consider that you are in fact damaging your dogs hearing, and likely causing considerable physical pain? It's no secret that dogs have extremely sensitive hearing, some more than others. If the dog runs away as far as possible, then shakes uncontrollably, it's gotta be REALLY bad, and that should be a serious wake up call that you are indeed causing physical harm, and possible irreparable damage to your dogs hearing.

You mentioned that you're trying to manipulate your dog into accepting it's evident torture by giving it cheese treats? How about if someone tortured you by sticking 6 inch needles in your ears, but made it somehow painfully bearable by giving you your favorite treat? Not such a great idea, is it?

Anyway, I hope for the dogs well being, you make the right decision.

Guest Farnsbarns

burdger

Have you stopped to consider that you are in fact damaging your dogs hearing, and likely causing considerable physical pain? It's no secret that dogs have extremely sensitive hearing, some more than others. If the dog runs away as far as possible, then shakes uncontrollably, it's gotta be REALLY bad, and that should be a serious wake up call that you are indeed causing physical harm, and possible irreparable damage to your dogs hearing.

You mentioned that you're trying to manipulate you're dog into accepting it's evident torture by giving it cheese treats? How about if someone tortured you by sticking 6 inch needles in your ears, but made it somehow painfully bearable by giving you your favorite treat? Not such a great idea, is it?

Drama queen much?

The dog is scared, simple.

The process I described will remove the dogs fear and make him feel that the guitar is good. The simple fact that the dog is now volunterily staying 4 feet away after only a short while is evidence of that. My dog was frightened of bin bags, I can't always control the presence of bin bags so I went through a similar process, now we can't keep her away from any plastic bag, she loves them now.

burdger

You mentioned that you're trying to manipulate you're dog into accepting it's evident torture by giving it cheese treats? How about if someone tortured you by sticking 6 inch needles in your ears, but made it somehow painfully bearable by giving you your favorite treat? Not such a great idea, is it?

My dog is not in pain. He does not run as far away as possible. He hides behind my wife sitting across the room, or sits on the couch where she usually sits if she is not around. He is a very fearful dog that has a lot of quirks about him when it comes to being scared of stuff. I'm not playing my guitar unreasonably loud. He is just afraid of things he doesn't understand.

Drama queen much?

The dog is scared, simple.

The process I described will remove the dogs fear and make him feel that the guitar is good. The simple fact that the dog is now volunterily staying 4 feet away after only a short while is evidence of that. My dog was frightened of bin bags, I can't always control the presence of bin bags so I went through a similar process, now we can't keep her away from any plates bag, she loves them now.

"The dog is scared, simple"

Of course, Sensitive hearing to high frequencies has absolutely nothing to do with the dogs reaction. What was I thinking?

PS - bin bags and assault on hearing = Two entirely different dynamics.

I would just say that if you haven't given your dog hot dogs before, you should be aware they give a dog gas, and dog farts are real bad.

I think it's healthy enough, but if your dog gets the gas, you might be the one needing the treats to stay in the same room.

Archived