Gibson Brands Forums

Useless Raving

CowboyBillyBob1

There is not much of a real purpose to this post but I just have to let it out.

Within the past 4 months I have gone crazy and purchased a few guitars. A 2012 LP Standard, A Midtown Standard with Bigsby, and a Squire Tele that I will put against an American Standard in a heartbeat. I also own a '57 Vintage Reissue Strat that I bought in 1989. This Strat was my right arm for the past 20 years.

I also recently changed string brands to Ernie Ball Cobalt strings which I love.

I am running them through a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue and I am using the 2X12 cabinet from an old Marshall combo as an extension speaker (Celestion G12-65). A Radial AB box is used on the two channels of the Deluxe. Channel A has an MXR Dyna Comp and a TS-9 into the vibrato channel of the deluxe and the B output of the AB box has a Boss Blues Driver and an MXR Carbon copy into the normal channel on the Deluxe. I almost never use the Blues Driver but the delay is on all the time for a subtle delay.

At bedroom volume I still get the thunk from the Marshall cab.

Ok so the LP sounds so freakin' fantastic all the other electrics have made it back to their cases because The LP is like a gift from the guitar Gods. I can't put the thing down and have a hard time going to bed because I just am continually blown away by how fantastic it sounds and my playing has improved tenfold from how much it inspires me.

I never thought I could get a tone so good. It is unbelievable.

Ok there is no point to this but I just have to tell people who appreciate this kind of thing. I am in heaven. The LP is without a doubt the best guitar I have ever used.

Thanks for listening to my mindless rave but could not help myself. Thanks again.

Yup I agree..

Ive played hundreds of guitars over the years.. all different models and makes.. And I think its not just Les Pauls but anything that has that Gibson sound..

Gibsons really do have soul.. They are also like pieces of art.. each one unique..

But yes I too am a Les Paul nutter.. I started with one that I had for many years and it was enough to own an amazing Gibson.. and then one day I decided that my main LP however amazing it was, was just too heavy sometimes.. So I wanted to get something lighter and cheaper that I could muck around on and got a MIM Strat that I had for a while, but just never got used to it so sold it after a year or so..

THEN I came by a LP Double Cut faded which was cheap on Ebay and it totally opened the flood gates.. that was about three years ago and since then ive had eight different Gibsons (including a V, a Firebird non reverse and a BFG)currently of which I still have four. All Les Pauls (including the DC)...

And at the moment I really want one of those P90 Midtowns.. Which im hoping will cure my GAS.. but thats what we all say :P

Its a disease, but as I have said before there are worse things you can be addicted too :)

There is not much of a real purpose to this post but I just have to let it out.

Within the past 4 months I have gone crazy and purchased a few guitars. A 2012 LP Standard, A Midtown Standard with Bigsby, and a Squire Tele that I will put against an American Standard in a heartbeat. I also own a '57 Vintage Reissue Strat that I bought in 1989. This Strat was my right arm for the past 20 years.

I also recently changed string brands to Ernie Ball Cobalt strings which I love.

I am running them through a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue and I am using the 2X12 cabinet from an old Marshall combo as an extension speaker (Celestion G12-65). A Radial AB box is used on the two channels of the Deluxe. Channel A has an MXR Dyna Comp and a TS-9 into the vibrato channel of the deluxe and the B output of the AB box has a Boss Blues Driver and an MXR Carbon copy into the normal channel on the Deluxe. I almost never use the Blues Driver but the delay is on all the time for a subtle delay.

At bedroom volume I still get the thunk from the Marshall cab.

Ok so the LP sounds so freakin' fantastic all the other electrics have made it back to their cases because The LP is like a gift from the guitar Gods. I can't put the thing down and have a hard time going to bed because I just am continually blown away by how fantastic it sounds and my playing has improved tenfold from how much it inspires me.

I never thought I could get a tone so good. It is unbelievable.

Ok there is no point to this but I just have to tell people who appreciate this kind of thing. I am in heaven. The LP is without a doubt the best guitar I have ever used.

Thanks for listening to my mindless rave but could not help myself. Thanks again.

Okay I'll play.

Within the last 6 weeks I purchased an American Standard Telecaster that I'll put against any pre CBS Telecaster or later, an American Standard Stratocaster that's way nicer than the '72 Stratocaster I used to own, 2010 Gibson LB Studio in ebony(this is the guitar that got me going again after not playing for 25 years), a 2012 Gibson LP Traditional Pro Cherry Sunburst, 2012 Gibson LP Standard AAA Desertburst, 2012 Gibson Custom Shop ES-339 Antique Red that I'll put up against any guitar at any price.

Two Marshall Class 5 heads, one hooked to a 1936 2x12 connected to the headphone jack at the halfway point, the other hooked to a 1960A 4x12 cabinet sometimes connected to the headphone jack at the halfway point. Both are pretty still pretty loud for bedroom.

To the above I sometimes add a Radial Tonebone Plexitube. If I want to play through both amps I have my Radial Twin-City ABY switch.

On occasion I'll plug in my Boss CE-5 chorus Ensemble and/or an original '70s era Crybaby Wah.

Needless to say my credit cards are near maxed out, but I got what I want.

Thanks for starting this thead!

Cheers,

Mike

Okay I'll play.

Within the last 6 weeks I purchased an American Standard Telecaster that I'll put against any pre CBS Telecaster or later, an American Standard Stratocaster that's way nicer than the '72 Stratocaster I used to own, 2010 Gibson LB Studio in ebony(this is the guitar that got me going again after not playing for 25 years), a 2012 Gibson LP Traditional Pro Cherry Sunburst, 2012 Gibson LP Standard AAA Desert Sunburst, 2012 Gibson Custom Shop ES-339 Antique Red that I'll put up against any guitar at any price.

Two Marshall Class 5 heads, one hooked to a 1936 2x12 connected to the headphone jack at the halfway point, the other hooked to a 1960A 4x12 cabinet sometimes connected to the headphone jack at the halfway point. Both are pretty still pretty loud for bedroom.

To the above I sometimes add a Radial Tonebone Plexitube. If I want to play through both amps I have my Radial Twin-City ABY switch.

On occasion I'll plug in my Boss CE-5 chorus Ensemble and/or an original '70s era Crybaby Wah.

Needless to say my credit cards are near maxed out, but I got what I want.

Thanks for starting this thead!

Cheers,

Mike

So out of all the guitars you purchased is there one that is just head a sholders above the rest? That is what happened to me. The 2012 LP Standard is just the best I have ever owned or played. All the others are back in their cases and just second thoughts if I am looking for a specific tone which the LP won't deliver. That is not too often because the LP is so versitile and is just like an old friend that I just met.

Wow BillyBob... Sounds to me like you've rekindled your motivation--- excellent..

my last two scores were an SG Standard and a Mustang III ,,, I'm no where near euphoria like you are!

(already have two LP standards, a 135 a few fenders, heck even a few epi's (regent and a Chet Atkins Country Gent)

the Gibsons get far more playtime than the rest..

I also am using cobalts on a few guitars, they really are "different"... seems once they've been on for a while they feel even better then new.

Hello BillyBob! I feel absolutely the same, regardless if I pick up the Classic Custom, or "just" the Studio. Although I had a few week long Tele period, after I modifyed my FSR with Baja wiring. But I had to realise that the thing I like now in the modded Tele is that it sounds similiar to a Les Paul (both pickups on in serial mode) :D Cheers...Bence

So out of all the guitars you purchased is there one that is just head a sholders above the rest? That is what happened to me. The 2012 LP Standard is just the best I have ever owned or played. All the others are back in their cases and just second thoughts if I am looking for a specific tone which the LP won't deliver. That is not too often because the LP is so versitile and is just like an old friend that I just met.

Hi BillyBob,

I can't really say any one of my guitars are head & shoulders above the others, but if at this point if I could only own one, it would be the ES-339.

It just has so much to offer. Comfort, beauty, tone etc. It does it all for me.

Ask me next week and my choice might be different.

Mike

My collection is small and I only have 1 electric so thats it. My melody Maker gets all of the action while my accoustics sit in the cases.

I am literally waiting for the check to arrive that is going to buy my next Gibson so I hope that within the next month I will have a new favorite to rave about. I am still struggling with which guitar I am going to buy, but whichever I choose to go with it will e the nicest and most expensive guitar that I have ever bought, so if all goes right it will become that guitar.

I am glad to hear the positive review of the new standard. I hear a lot of people say that they dont like them, but they mostly seem to be people who dont own them. Most people I have heard from that do own them speak highly of them. That is one of the models I am considering, along with the ES-339, and the Traditional pro. I had originally had my mind set on the Classic Custom but I have recently played one extensively and scratched it off my list. I am dying to get my hands around a 339 before I make my decision but I have yet to come across one in person.

I'm in!

Totally concur with Billy Bob. I've had a few cheap guitars in the past - Vantage V, Squire Fat Strat, OLP Luke, OLP Petrucci etc and then I lashed out and bought some nice guitars. I started with a Musicman 2008 Luke, then a 2008 Petrucci JP6. I then bought a 2006 Limited Edition Luke, and they are all really nice guitars.

Then about a month ago my mate brought over his Les Paul (2000 Standard with 60's neck, 500t and 496R) and we did a tone comparison. I have a Mesa Dual recto and we played one guitar after the other through the same amp with the same settings. I really liked the sound of the Les Paul and I could feel a case of GAS coming on.

I cashed out 2 weeks of my Accrued Time Off and Lo and Behold, it came out that I was paid out the exact amount my other mate was selling his 2003 Les Paul Standard for. I took it home for what was going to be a couple of weeks to see if I liked it - plugged it in and started playing. Exactly like Billy Bob said, I couldn't put the thing down! I played non-stop for about 3 hours and then picked it up again at 5.30 the next morning. By eleven o'clock I had rung my mate, transferred the funds and was now the proud owner of my first Les Paul.

Like Billy Bob said, I found it has inspired me to play different styles and I am just loving the richness of tone. I am jamming with the band next Wednesday and I can hardly wait.

I just bought a Source Audio programmable EQ, which is the size of a small stompbox, has 4 EQ presets and can be midi-controlled. Between that and the Les Paul, boy I'm having some fun!

The best thing I ever did was to help my son (then 14) subsidize the purchase of his first Gibson (LP Studio Deluxe)....it made a man out of him...and an excellent little player too...17 now and playing with adults. 16 in this pic playing at a local festival on the Mon River.

wyIE0.jpg

The best thing I ever did was to help my son (then 14) subsidize the purchase of his first Gibson (LP Studio Deluxe)....it made a man out of him...and an excellent little player too...17 now and playing with adults. 16 in this pic playing at a local festival on the Mon River.

wyIE0.jpg

BRAVO!!! =D>

Archived