Gibson Brands Forums

HUGE Floppy DISK!

FenderGuy1

Can i have some? i wanna frame them so i can have some 8" disks to look at :D

I can't promise anything, I have to find them first. But if they are still in shape, I'd gladly send them to You. I'll come back to You with this after the weekend. Cheers... Bence

yep and if I remember those 8 inch disks well they held a whopping 79 Kilobytes. We used them in a Pr1me Mini computer system we had at work that took 2 mg memory boards that were 26 inches squares and cost 7 grand each (used). The main CPU's were about three inches in size and required huge heat sinks and a rather large dedicated flow of cold air from a dedicated attached a/c unit to keep them cool enough to run. I had no real complaints though I helped install it and turned it on in 1982 and then I was the one that shut it off in 2005 so it ran 23 years with a total of seven days out of service 3 of which were moving it to a different building so that a pretty good record for up time.

I'm a COBOL programmer for a company that services financial institutions. When I started in this business in 1982, I started as a data control clerk, receiving data transmissions from different locations, the Federal Reserve Bank, Federal Home Loan Bank, different clearing houses. We received them on machines called Mohawks. The data was written to reel-to-reel tapes, but we had to load, depending on who we were receiving the transmission from, different software, that was on HUGE floppy disks, I'm thinking they were like 12 inches. We used these machines into the early 90's. I haven't thought of that in years LOL.

I was the customer support manager for a Wang computer dealer in NYC in the early 80's. Their word processing systems used those 8" floppies. Still have copies of several operating systems in my garage on them too. Took a few to my son's school for a show & tell day. Gave them to the kids after. Was fun.

Regards---------

Guest Farnsbarns

3.5 floppies still need to be formatted before use

I remember preformatted floppies coming to market. After that you only had to format if you had an os that couldn't read fat16 partitions.

Here's a trick for you fg. Get a 720k 3.5 in floppy disc. Make a hole in the corner where the hole would be on a 1.4mb disc. Stick it in a drive and format it. Your 720k disc just doubled in size!

I remember preformatted floppies coming to market. After that you only had to format if you had an os that couldn't read fat16 partitions.

Here's a trick for you fg. Get a 720k 3.5 in floppy disc. Make a hole in the corner where the hole would be on a 1.4mb disc. Stick it in a drive and format it. Your 720k disc just doubled in size!

My 3.5s are 1.44 mb

Archived