Gibson Brands Forums

Changed the pickguard on my AJ to a vintage replica

Lars68

I have just changed the firestripe pickguard on my 2007 AJ to a more vintage correct version.

I got it here:

http://www.firestripepickguards.com/

Mine is the one in the first photo.

James did a great job in replicating the vintage look. His guards are very true to Gibson's originals, as far as I can tell. However, in the old days the guard was attached to bare wood and the burst then sprayed over it. So, I had to replicate that look with this guard which would have to be over the finish. It turned out way too dark if I just put it on straigt over the finish, so I painted a crude burst pattern on the back using slightly brighter colors, taking into account the actual color of the material the guard is made of. This way I got the correct look from the front of the guard.

I´m very happy with the result, and it is a great addition to the guitar. I can also recommend James who was a pleasure to deal with.

Lars

I have just changed the firestripe pickguard on my 2007 AJ to a more vintage correct version.

I got it here:

http://www.firestripepickguards.com/

...so I painted a crude burst pattern on the back using slightly brighter colors, taking into account the actual color of the material the guard is made of. This way I got the correct look from the front of the guard.

Doesn't the back of the guard come with adhesive on it? How'd you paint the burst over the adhesive?

Looks great, whatever you did.

Red 333

I ordered the guard without the adhesive attached, and then installed it myself, after painting the back of the guard.

Lars

Thanks, Lars. Great idea. Shading the top of the pickguard is a subtle detail, but gives the guitar a more vintage look.

Since you're revealing all your trade secrets, what paint and shade did you use (you mentioned it was lighter than the color on the front of the guitar)?

Red 333

Red, I simply used my six year old's acrylic paints. I started with a kind of light tan/orange color, which seen through the guard matches the brightest area of the sunburst very well. I then eyeballed where that color should start to turn darker and gradually mixed in more and more of a dark brown/black color, with a hint of red thrown in. The paint job is far from as sophisticated as it might sound. It is really very, very crude, but it does not show from the front. The good thing about this approach is that it is possible to match each unique burst color and pattern.

I do want to point out that it is James' work that makes the guard beautiful, not my simple paint job, which is only a way to adapt the guard to a modern guitar.

Lars

I like the look of that very much. I find it more pleasing than some of the recent Gibson firestripes: here's one from the 42 J45 Legend -

1942_J-45_Reissue-Pickguard.jpg

Ratio of light to dark seems a bit off on that one. The ones on my L-OO Legend and my 1943 SJ re-issue are a bit better, but still fairly pronounced light/dark striping.

nice! i just got one from James too. I had pulled the guard off of my J45-TV several months ago, the new one is excellent! I opened up the radius on mine a little to sit on the outside of the J45 Rosette (you guys have infected me [thumbup] )

It looks great on there, definitely a lot nicer than the standard issue guard from Gibson. I'll see about posting a picture later today.

Archived