Gibson Brands Forums

Please help me choose....

Lefty Guy

My stepfather recently passed away aged 92 after a long illness & has knidly left me a small legacy.

Not enough to fund s new guitar on its own but combined with selling my old J-45 Historic I would have sufficient funds, so....

I need your help in deciding what to buy. I'm off to Guitar Village in Farnham this weekend as they have a Gibson Acoustic day, with a couple of directors over from Montana & plenty of Gibbies to drool over, including some nice lefties. Here's what I'm thinking as my top 3 choices:

(1) Gibson J-45 Custom rosewood (natural finish)

j45custom.jpg

(2) Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage

hummimgbirdtv.jpg

(3) Collings CJ short scale mahogony or rosewood (natural finish)

collings.jpg

Bear in mind that my main keeper Guitar currently is this lovely SJ New Vintage (sunburst finish)

GibsonSJ.jpg

I play a mixture of Bluegrass, country/folk & 60s/70s pop music.

Your thoughts/experiences in helping me make this decision would be much appreciated!

Im sorry to hear about your stepfather, however 92 is a great innings !

Given you have the SJ, which is similar to my AL SJ, my clear recommendation would be the HB TV. Bluegrass / Country rocks on the SJ, the 70's pop stuff is Bird' territory.

It is the perfect complement to the SJ and along with the J-200 is one of the three classic Gibson designs. (which I would recommend also considering)

My HB TV has been developing at a frightening pace, it has really softened and opened up and its a pleasure to switch between the Bird and its slope shouldered cousin.

Maybe you could start a poll and see how everyone votes ?

Either way, this is a happy dilemma to have, isnt it Lefty ? [thumbup]

Either way, this is a happy dilemma to have, isnt it Lefty ? [thumbup]

Sure is! I admit the Hummingbird was a late entry on the list but is appealing more & more. I can try a standard one on Saturday but I guess the TV version will be much nicer.

Sure is! I admit the Hummingbird was a late entry on the list but is appealing more & more. I can try a standard one on Saturday but I guess the TV version will be much nicer.

From my personal experience I found there is a difference between the standard HB and the TV version. The lighter bracing seems to deliver a richer, deeper tone with more nectar and vintage vibe.

Nice position to be in Lefty. Being a rosewood guy, I would recommend the J45 Custom. One note on that is Gibson doesn't offer that model with the ebony board and bridge. I'm not sure if the rosewood replacements muddy a dark sounding guitar. IMO the ebony gives the notes a bit of snap, which I like. When shopping for my J45, I was actually looking at the J185 TV, I played the Collings CJ. Obviously a beautiful guitar but I thought the Gibson played and sounded better. The Collings was a little tighter. I would not have spent the extra on it but that's just one person's opinion on a particular guitar. Have fun.

I played the Collings CJ. Obviously a beautiful guitar but I thought the Gibson played and sounded better. The Collings was a little tighter. I would not have spent the extra on it but that's just one person's opinion on a particular guitar. Have fun.

That's what I'm thinking, is the CJ worth all that extra outlay?

hey lefty , i have no advice i can give you regarding your choice , but was just wondering ( as i have a j45 historic myself ) what differences you find in it and the SJ ? the SJ is stunning i think ...

good luck in your quest :-)

Actually love both guitars but don't need 2 j-45-type hogs. Main differences?

The Historic is a lot heavier than the SJ, has a pick-up, has a slightly narrower nut (1.6875ins vs 1.725ins), a slimmer neck & does not have binding on fretboard. The SJ has much more bling (parallelograms on fretboard, scroll script on headstock, extra rosette rings etc) & they have different pick guards (batwing vs teardrop). Historic's body binding is white vs SJ is cream. Tone-wise they're similar & both have the trademark Gibson slope sound, but I'd say the SJ feels a bit looser & sounds a bit fuller.

If I'm honest it was the "look" of the SJ & the slightly wider nut that sold it to me but I'm delighted to say I also slightly prefer the overall feel & sound too. Not that the J-45 isn't wonderful, it is.

If you are going to be in a position to play all of them, the clear choice is to play the heck out of all of them.

When they put a bowl of candy in front of you, do you decide on one or take one of each?

Not that you have to buy them all, but if they present you with 15 guitars to try, then try all 15 of them. No question about it.

If you are going to be in a position to play all of them, the clear choice is to play the heck out of all of them.

When they put a bowl of candy in front of you, do you decide on one or take one of each?

Not that you have to buy them all, but if they present you with 15 guitars to try, then try all 15 of them. No question about it.

Sadly as a lefty my opportunities to try them out will be limited. I'll get to try a Hummingbird standard & a J-45 Custom this weekend but lefty Collngs SS CJs & 'Bird TVs are as rare as rocknig horse sh*t over here!

As a lefty your choices will be slim. Pick what sounds the best but take your time & keep saving..

All I can suggest is make sure what you are going to buy is much better than what you giving up.

As during the thrill of "new purchase" one can get a bit delusional.Make sure to compare new strings to new strings.

From some comparitive playing Ive felt Santa Cruz & Collings made guitars that sounded/played not any better than the new Martin or Gibsons most are modeled after.

Try a Huss & Dalton...Im not sure what they are doing now but in 2009-10 everyone of them I played was so obviously better than everything else..except for Lowden's(post 2004).

Now H&D is putting forth an economy line & have gotten C&C machines..and in early 2000's they were marred by some defective finish issues...so I dont know about them.

If you come across a Gibson that sounds as good as a good H&D ..Id jump on it.

Actually love both guitars but don't need 2 j-45-type hogs. Main differences?

The Historic is a lot heavier than the SJ, has a pick-up, has a slightly narrower nut (1.6875ins vs 1.725ins), a slimmer neck & does not have binding on fretboard. The SJ has much more bling (parallelograms on fretboard, scroll script on headstock, extra rosette rings etc) & they have different pick guards (batwing vs teardrop). Historic's body binding is white vs SJ is cream. Tone-wise they're similar & both have the trademark Gibson slope sound, but I'd say the SJ feels a bit looser & sounds a bit fuller.

If I'm honest it was the "look" of the SJ & the slightly wider nut that sold it to me but I'm delighted to say I also slightly prefer the overall feel & sound too. Not that the J-45 isn't wonderful, it is.

i think the look of the SJ is lovely , as you said to someone here certain models are hard to come by this side of the atlantic , i'm happy as a pig in sh@t with my J45 but if an SJ hadve been available i wouldve been drawn to it initially because of how they look , not sayin i definately wouldve chose it but ....and you're left handed too ! holy smoke !

is there a difference in age ? your J45 is 2005 (same as mine ) but what age is the SJ ?

is there a difference in age ? your J45 is 2005 (same as mine ) but what age is the SJ ?

The SJ was built to order for me last summer. Its a long story but I'd long lusted after the extra bling & the TV spec but also liked the gloss finish on the standards. Then I spotted the Wildwood Guitars "New Vintage" dealer exclusive line (TV but gloss finish) & fell instantly in love. But big problem - Wildwood were not allowed to sell outside the US. Thankfully I know a lefty-only trader in Florida & he ordered it for me from Wildwood, took delivery, re-packed it & then shipped it to the UK (as a 2nd hand guitar to save on duty). It all took a bit of organising but I'm delighted with the result.

Add my 2 cents for the "H-Bird". Your Moon is already got the rosewood angle covered, no? Personally I will not shop for a Hummingbird again, the last two times I did I ended up buying other guitars, and still no Hummingbird. It'll just have to land on me.

Personally I will not shop for a Hummingbird again, the last two times I did I ended up buying other guitars, and still no Hummingbird.

Tried to buy one numerous times, always walked away with something else instead..... Most recently with my J-50. I've given up trying to buy a hummingbird.

Yes, I – among several others here – have a TV Hummingbird from 2008. It is different from a 2012 one I tried recently, which projected a bit stronger, like more scalloped – less 'massed'.

Mine has surely softened up and is now both louder and
drippier
than when I got it in May 2011– talking flower-juice here. The Bird is a snappy strummer/flatpicker, but can be fingerficked with big precision as the every single note rings very clear, not especially sustained.

Saw the thread, but hesitated to react as I sense you are an experienced guy, who knows what he feels/likes. I'd be the last to pick another mans girl, but as you have the SJ, why not go for the Bird – or try those you get across. The 45 Custom will be more powerful than the Bird and might stand as an interesting pendant to the hog Southern Jumbo. And that Collings awakens my curiosity for certain.

Saw the thread, but hesitated to react as I sense you are an experienced guy, who knows what he feels/likes. I'd be the last to pick another mans girl, but as you have the SJ, why not go for the Bird – or try those you get across. The 45 Custom will be more powerful than the Bird and might stand as an interesting pendant to the hog Southern Jumbo. And that Collings awakens my curiosity for certain.

In other words, you're saying "buy them all", which was my first reaction as well.

Never owned a Collings. That's one I would want to play, even if I didn't buy it.

In other words, you're saying "buy them all", , , ,

In fact, yes - at least for a while. It's the only serious way to get into three so qualified guitars.

The A-B-C fun is invaluable - and if a few bills should be lost, it would still be worth it.

Many thanks for all your responses. Yes, I really should buy them all, but my 25th wedding anniversary is next week & I'm quite keen to make it to 30 at least :-)

Yes, I do have my little rosewood Moon to cover that angle & being pretty much a confirmed hog guy, I guess the 'bird would be the way to go. So many of you love yours.

Many thanks for all your responses. Yes, I really should buy them all, but my 25th wedding anniversary is next week & I'm quite keen to make it to 30 at least :-)

Yes, I do have my little rosewood Moon to cover that angle & being pretty much a confirmed hog guy, I guess the 'bird would be the way to go. So many of you love yours.

Dont discount the J-200 Lefty, its as magical as the Bird' in its own way and also very complementary to the SJ.

Archived