Gibson Brands Forums

what Gibsons did you have?

Guest J-Doug

Related topic to "How many Gibsons do you currently have????":

What Gibsons have you had? What's gone now but not forgotten (if not missed)? Why did you get rid of them?

I once owned a 90s ES-335 Dot and a 2000s J-50. Neither were all that great, don't really miss them (the J-50 had issues, the 335 never really moved me).

I had a Nick Lucas and an L-20 as gigging guitars for a few years, both modern ones - nice enough guitars but they didn't come close to the vintage L-1 and L-00 I recorded with, and I sold them when I stopped regularly gigging with acoustics. I had a renecked '50s LG2 3/4 which was cute but never got played, an HG-20 that was a little too niche for regular use, and an LG-0 which I sold to a friend when I bought the L-1. I had a really early archtop L-1 as well, a short scale thing with a slotted headstock. I've had a couple of Kalamazoos as well over the years.

All in all, I've reached a point where I only really want to own guitars that I'm going to get regular use out of. I was fond of all the above but I wasn't using them, and I'm far happier thinking that they've gone to people who'd put them to proper use. Im 'down' to eight acoustics now (four Gibsons, two Fyldes, a Martin and an Epi archtop), which is still pretty indulgent, but I've played every one in the last fortnight, and that feels like a comfortable number to stick with.

My 59 double cutaway cherry red LP Jr........

Gave it to my musician nephew in San Diego, within 2 weeks some one broke in to his place and stole it. [crying]

Must be something about the town, lost my 61 SG in a burglary there.

I have not owned many gibsons over the years, as I haven`t really been able to afford them. But I currently have a 94 J-100 Xtra, and a 2010 J200 Standard (I must really like the Super Jumbos).

I let my 62 Epiphone Texan go last Sunday (Swapped for the J200), the loss of that softened by the fact I have a 04 "Non Macca" Texan.

The only other Gibson I had was a 70s solid body L6S, which I was happy to see the back of!

Steve.

I only have one but I'm damn proud of it.

Doves In Flight

Preferences§1234567890-=BackspaceTabqwertyuiop[]Returncapslockasdfghjkl;'\shift`zxcvbnm,./shiftEnglishDeutschEspañolFrançaisItalianoPortuguêsРусскийalt altPreferences

Yes we have no Gibsons! ...

Well, for the first time in many a year I have no Gibsons ... my Fullers J35 just walked out the door... looking back on a stellar Bozeman selection : a 2006 Nick Lucas mahogany 12 Fret; a 2002 Smeck Radio Grande Burst; 3 Starbursts, including a Walker pencil-signed blingmonster, a Southern Jumbo, and the aforementioned 2008 Fullers J35 (the best of the bunch). All great guitars & it's likely another Gibson will arrive at some point.

Meanwhile I still have my John Walker Clark Fork - does that count or do I have to leave the forum?

I guess I've followed Jorma to the dark side... (I notice he's not on the list of those who play Gibsons...)

Archived