Gibson Brands Forums

New Car Reliability

heymisterk

Hi All,

Consumer Reports just posted their car reliability ratings. As usual, Japanese brands dominate. It's interesting to note that - at least in terms of reliability - you are way better off with a Scion than you are with a BMW or Jaguar. Here are the ratings, most-reliable to least-reliable:

Scion

Toyota

Lexus

Mazda

Subaru

Honda

Acura

Audi

Infiniti

Kia

Cadillac

GMC

Nissan

Mercedes

Chevy

BMW

Hyundai

VW

Jeep

Volvo

Buick

Mini

Chrysler

Dodge

Ram

Lincoln

Ford (Biggest drop, fell 226%)

Jaguar

Wow, I guess I have gotten lucky with my BMW, the hood on that car has been opened like 5 times in 3 1/2 years.

3 oil changes, top off windshield wiper fluid and anti-freeze and the one time I lifted the hood to see how the engine looked.

I wonder how they come up with this, Scion is a very new brand.

tbh, I'd go for an old Honda. It's no mystery that those engines were infused with black magic, those things run forever. a CRX would make me the happiest person on earth.

Anyways, I don't think I'm ever going to buy a new car, reason being, I don't like them. They've diluted what a car is supposed to be. It's too much technology, too much luxury, and too many ridiculous features that are there to up the price. Maybe I'm wrong, but as someone who has loved cars all their life, it pains me to see that I can't get something simple nowadays.

Wow, I guess I have gotten lucky with my BMW, the hood on that car has been opened like 5 times in 3 1/2 years.

3 oil changes, top off windshield wiper fluid and anti-freeze and the one time I lifted the hood to see how the engine looked.

I wonder how they come up with this, Scion is a very new brand.

Well, Scion is essentially Toyota.

They came up with the stats by asking subscribers (like me) to fill out a questionnaire about car repairs. 1.2 million people did so.

I am very happy: My '06 Prius is one of the most reliable cars on the road, despite the hybrid drivetrain. In fact, hybrids as a group did extremely well. The only problem I have had is an emergency brake light that stayed on, fixed under warranty a couple years ago.

tbh, I'd go for an old Honda. It's no mystery that those engines were infused with black magic, those things run forever. a CRX would make me the happiest person on earth.

Anyways, I don't think I'm ever going to buy a new car, reason being, I don't like them. They've diluted what a car is supposed to be. It's too much technology, too much luxury, and too many ridiculous features that are there to up the price. Maybe I'm wrong, but as someone who has loved cars all their life, it pains me to see that I can't get something simple nowadays.

Agreed. Until my Prius, I have always owned a Honda. Actually, my first two cars were Accords, and very reliable. A stripped-down Civic with a four-speed manual and manual windows was bulletproof. But..a '94 Prelude I had was problematic.

Whenever I see those rearview mirrors with the blinkers in them, I think: That's one more thing I am going to have to replace. My car doesn't have that, but it does have one of those keyless ignitions, which is my car's one flaw, IMHO.

Theres very few modern day cares that don't have reliability anymore. In truth an engine is only post to last around 150,000 miles, that's the safety mark most manufacturers set to be...safe. but now modern day engines can even go past 300,000 miles with routine maintenance. But in the long run it really depends on the driver, does he/she do oil changes when hes post to? Does he beat the living it **** out of it? Does he take care of the car? Where does he live and how cold and hot is the area? How old is it? Is it a high performance engine?

Jaguar has always been know to break down but they still sell like crazy, why? Because we want drive, we don't give a ****. I want to have fun, MPG and safety is secondary for me.

Well, Scion is essentially Toyota.

They came up with the stats by asking subscribers (like me) to fill out a questionnaire about car repairs. 1.2 million people did so.

Well, (to me) that just explains that a person that owns a car with more issues would take the time to complain and fill out a survey. I have not had any problems with my car and frankly because of that I would not take the time to fill out a survey.

Well, (to me) that just explains that a person that owns a car with more issues would take the time to complain and fill out a survey. I have not had any problems with my car and frankly because of that I would not take the time to fill out a survey.

So how does that explain the brands at the top of the survey? Is that just people not filling out the survey because they are happy with their car? Part of the idea of Consumer Reports is to share your experiences - good and bad - with other readers.

Jaguar has always been know to break down but they still sell like crazy, why? Because we want drive, we don't give a ****.

Most of us don't have that luxury, and we actually need something that doesn't break down. If I spent $80K on a car and it spent most of its time in the shop, I'd be p*ssed.

So how does that explain the brands at the top of the survey? Is that just people not filling out the survey because they are happy with their car? Part of the idea of Consumer Reports is to share your experiences - good and bad - with other readers.

I was just speaking for myself, not sure how the rest works, I do not have the data and criteria in front of me to analyze and have a full opinion.

I've gone down the Chevy/Ford road and had nothing but problems. I will only buy/lease Hondas now and have never had to do anything other than regular maintenance. My friend just spent $45,000 on a new GMC 1500, and at 3,000 miles, the thing already sounds like a pile. Two months old and it already has a squeaky belt, brakes, and interior rattles. Never had that in the 10 years I've been driving Hondas.

The lease on my Civic is up in a few months. I planned on buying it out but the 2013 Accords look really sharp and the Sport has all the features I want. Decisions, decisions. The only bad thing I have heard about the '13 Accord is the CVT transmission but I don't drive automatic.

I believe that the only Jeep model to get a better than poor reliability rating was the Patriot.Our local pharmacist just traded his 2 year old problem plagued 4 Door Jeep Unlimited for the much cheaper and reliable Patriot.

Strangely enough the ultra-expensive Land Rover and Range Rover are at the very bottom of the reliability list for about the 10th year in a row. There is a 2010 Range Rover Sport in the local Buy & Sell for only $28,000-I wonder why?People can hardly give the used ones away here as the parts cost is pretty well prohibitive and the most expensive parts are usually the first ones to go.

Even the most reliable models can have exceptions to the rule.Several years ago we bought a near mint condition Toyota 4-Runner that had less than 40,000 miles on it.A cardiologist who I was aquainted with had bought it especially to drive only on winter nights that he was on call and the car dealer was a relative of mine so we had no misgivings of buying it.After about 6 months things started going very wrong with it and last going off we had to sell it at a huge loss as it was costing us more in repairs than loan payments.We only put about 15,000 miles on it and 12,000 of that was behind a tow truck...lol.

Agreed. Until my Prius, I have always owned a Honda. Actually, my first two cars were Accords, and very reliable. A stripped-down Civic with a four-speed manual and manual windows was bulletproof. But..a '94 Prelude I had was problematic.

Whenever I see those rearview mirrors with the blinkers in them, I think: That's one more thing I am going to have to replace. My car doesn't have that, but it does have one of those keyless ignitions, which is my car's one flaw, IMHO.

In fact, any 80s Japanese car is good to the core. I'd love an old boxy thing.

Except for maybe the RX7. The engines weren't the best choice for the car. Anyways, I drool over old Japanese cars. They're just perfect to me.

If you want to get a better insight into how good cars are, Google the make you are interested in and the words Owners reviews;

Audi Owner Reviews, Jag Owner Reviews etc....you will start to see a trend, example VW's are dragged into shops on hooks more then anyother car. Audis are fun to drive but require endless constant care.

I no longer use consumer reports, if I want help reserching a product to buy I use Google Owner Reviews.

In fact, any 80s Japanese car is good to the core. I'd love an old boxy thing.

Except for maybe the RX7. The engines weren't the best choice for the car. Anyways, I drool over old Japanese cars. They're just perfect to me.

Woah, Rotary engines are great. They pull so much torque, they just develop problems because they haven't been tired and tested like piston engines.

The rotary in the RX-8 is great as well and i rarely see problems with those.

Woah, Rotary engines are great. They pull so much torque, they just develop problems because they haven't been tired and tested like piston engines.

The rotary in the RX-8 is great as well and i rarely see problems with those.

They are better now then ever before, still eat more gas then they should.

I no longer use consumer reports, if I want help reserching a product to buy I use Google Owner Reviews.

I find CR a bedrock when it comes to buying a car. That's why I bought my Toyota, and they were absolutely correct in their information. I have used Google Owner Reviews and like them, but don't find them as...well, as reliable.

Agree with what I have read about VW: They seem to be haunted with problems year after year.

I find CR a bedrock when it comes to buying a car. That's why I bought my Toyota, and they were absolutely correct in their information. I have used Google Owner Reviews and like them, but don't find them as...well, as reliable.

Agree with what I have read about VW: They seem to be haunted with problems year after year.

I find reading what owners ay about their cars pretty informing...

Archived