Gibson Brands Forums

Tonerite

Motherofpearl

I have a TONERITE since 2 years. The explanation is here: http://tonerite.com/our-story

Matter of fact you don't need the explanation.

Just buy one - I assure you: IT WORKS.

By the way this thing WORKS TOO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ze_Np09OZk

I have one in my Epiphone Masterbilt AJ 500 RN ES - great device.

msp_thumbup.gif

Tonerite has been discussed/debated on The AGF a few thousand times....okay, maybe just several hundred. I personally don't know, but I do have a question I've asked several times, but don't recall ever getting an answer...............Is this a one-time application to your guitar, or do you have keep doing it over and over?

Cuz they cost around $150 which may not seem like alot unless you are looking at spending it on something that may or may not work.

This thing really has been discussed ad nauseum with no solid consensus being arrived at.

Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth there was a line of thougtht that if you placed you acoustic on stage near the drums or amps, the vibration would help open the guitar up. The same argument is made for the Tonerite gizmo.

The theory is the Tonerite speeds up the aging and crystallization of wood resins (popularly believed to be one of the reasons vintage guitars sound the way they do). So, it is therefore not surprising that most folks say they are useless with an older instrument. With newer guitars opinions are all over the place. Some say the change is initially noticeble but fleeting, others than there was a dramatic and lasting impact on their guitar, and still others that it produced no appreciable change in their instrument.

Me, I got no proof one way or the other so have no dog in this hunt.

Zomby this soundhole thing mr.Gibs posted is $150? Hahahaha man I dunno.

No, that's another device.

Not being a great fan of miracles, I remain somewhat skeptical, but open to conversion. Afraid I'm a natural "Doubting Thomas".

I have a TONERITE since 2 years. The explanation is here: http://tonerite.com/our-story

Matter of fact you don't need the explanation.

Just buy one - I assure you: IT WORKS.

By the way this thing WORKS TOO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ze_Np09OZk

I have one in my Epiphone Masterbilt AJ 500 RN ES - great device.

msp_thumbup.gif

SNAKE OIL! ....I say snake oil.... [laugh]

The Tonerite does work! Have it use it. Works for both electric and acoustic. For the most part it is subtle but it plays in your instrument. It can be used as much as you like.

JM

Hmmm........ another believer.

Have you found that the effect is permanent, or like a drug fix, do you need to constantly repeat the process to maintain the effect? (Serious question, not a joke.)

Hmmm........ another believer.

Have you found that the effect is permanent, or like a drug fix, do you need to constantly repeat the process to maintain the effect? (Serious question, not a joke.)

I find that best use is on newer guitars for sure. many of you have several guitars and some sit from time to time. After a guitar sits and you are ready to clean it up and put new strings on i would run the tonerite for a day or two before putting new strings on. I would say it is as pemanant as playing the guitar yourself. Running ithe tonerite full on will start to make the guitar louder and softer vibration will help develope overtones in the instrument. It is a good product. If you have a guitar that is a bit tight doing 3 days on full and a couple days at varying levels will likely help. Every instrument is different though.

I would suggest new strings after using the Tonerite though.

JM

I've seen the effects on one guitar, it was a newish guitar, it was treated for 1 weeks solidly... it sounded very different afterward, more, dare-I-say, open sounding... Couldn't attest to it being permanent or not.. but I would say I seen a very audible difference on one guitar which happened to be very new. based on the claims I'd say that was it's most plausible application, giving a bit of a buzz to a stiff new guitar, can't see it doing much to a well played, well used guitar already a few years old though...

I've seen the effects on one guitar, it was a newish guitar, it was treated for 1 weeks solidly... it sounded very different afterward, more, dare-I-say, open sounding... Couldn't attest to it being permanent or not.. but I would say I seen a very audible difference on one guitar which happened to be very new. based on the claims I'd say that was it's most plausible application, giving a bit of a buzz to a stiff new guitar, can't see it doing much to a well played, well used guitar already a few years old though...

can u guarantee the weather / room temperature was the same that week than it had been ?

SNAKE OIL! ....I say snake oil.... [laugh]

I'm not calling shenanigans, and for all I know this could be a great product, but he did seem to strum a little differently on the version w/ the O-Port thingy on it. On the "naked" version, he sort of pounded the chords (especially the opening strum), whereas when he had the O-Port version he looked like he was strumming it a bit more deliberately/delicately to let the individual strings ring out. [sneaky] Maybe I'm watching too much CSI:Miami.

can u guarantee the weather / room temperature was the same that week than it had been ?

I have strummed and played that guitar in several conditions afterwards, it had definitely changed a bit. I know a guy who has one from the open mic scene here, he tried it on an electric too and all he had was an electricity bill to show for his efforts, but on a guitar you could see & feel was new it certainly made it "seem" more responsive and open. How much of that is wanting to like the product boils down to the individual. I must admit I fell into the 'eyebrows raised' category as I was extremely skeptical, so I would have been more than happy to report it was 'snake oil' or a gimmick for nutters who should really have invested time in playing the guitar instead of money on a quirky vibrator, but it did a job on that guitar for sure.

I don't own one, not too likely to own one to be honest, but I would admit it affected the one sample of it's use I've seen in real life. I hear ye, though... I often have a wee laugh when I see the tonerite subject come up, a real bone of contention for a lot of people. I think part of the problem is the sizeable claims it makes, if it was marketed as "a guitar opens up with your play, but seeing as you can't play it a lot of the time, why not vibrate the bejeezuz out of it to simulate it keeping it open and lively" - folk might get behind that, but the whole aged it x years and vintage tone etc... a bit hollywood for me.

I don't know how many times I've said it on guitar forums, vintage tone doesn't exist, vintage tone as its common benchmark was created by guitars back then that were new, what you buy and what you hear from these guitars now is the is the aged tone from old wood, they're wildly separate things. But, without the romance, the story, the theatrics surrounding vintage tone there wouldn't be the vintage market that there is today. Smoke & mirrors, people.. smoke & mirrors!

Let me re-phrase my question to those who are in favor of the Tonerite.. I'm not "for or against" this device. If it truly works, I might be interested in one---------Let's say I have a new guitar (any brand). Let's say I use the Tonerite on it and it makes a noticeable difference that I like. So, to keep this difference, do I have to use the Tonerite over and over again on my guitar? Is the effect permanent or temporary?

Let me re-phrase my question to those who are in favor of the Tonerite.. I'm not "for or against" this device. If it truly works, I might be interested in one---------Let's say I have a new guitar (any brand). Let's say I use the Tonerite on it and it makes a noticeable difference that I like. So, to keep this difference, do I have to use the Tonerite over and over again on my guitar? Is the effect permanent or temporary?

No! But you need to play your guitar. if one hardly plays their instrument you will need the tonerite to wake it up. if that makes any sense.

JM

Probably hasn't been on the market long enough to say, MP.... but based on all your assumptions above, would it be so hard to 'top it up' if you felt it was necessary in that situation? It is a confirmed string-killer though, once a "treatment" is complete those strings are for the bin. Changes or not, I'm still not frothing to get the front of the sales queue my guitars all sound decent as is and I'm not overly precious with them so they'll get the battle scars and voices they grow into.

Let's say I use the Tonerite on it and it makes a noticeable difference that I like. So, to keep this difference, do I have to use the Tonerite over and over again on my guitar?

I wondered the same thing so I took a peek at the Tonerite web site. It says...

"An initial ToneRite® treatment of 72-144 hours is recommended. It will be the first step in achieving your instrument's top potential. Subsequent treatments will be required to maintain and further develop your instrument. "

I tried one treatment on a brand new Larrivee that I had...I think it made a subtle difference in the guitar but I ended up selling it so I can't provide a long-term review. I'll probably set up this new Tonerite on my Keb Mo...its relatively new and has an adirondack top that could use some breaking in...

Archived