Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

ol fred

On it's way, via FedEx, the one carrier I asked them to please not use. Tell ya all about it next week. if it shows.

in the meantime.. Happy Thanksgiving to All

I didn't think Estaban still used FedEx. ?

This thread should've been called "The Waiting Room". MV just let me know the new SJ is off the Custom Shop floor and is at their store. Awaiting install of the Trance, a final setup, and then I get to nervously await the little brown truck. Meanwhile off to pound on one of the Martins, see ya'll 'round the bend!

sjcustombackhead.jpg

This thread should've been called "The Waiting Room". MV just let me know the new SJ is off the Custom Shop floor and is at their store. Awaiting install of the Trance, a final setup, and then I get to nervously await the little brown truck. Meanwhile off to pound on one of the Martins, see ya'll 'round the bend!

sjcustombackhead.jpg

Oooooohh.... that looks NICE!!!

Ain't she purdy ?

.Actually, it's a late seventies/early eighties Harmony Sovereign.

I bought it to experiment with my skills as a luthier (insert ROFLMAO)

How far in that hole can my arm actually go ? Maybe try a bit of finger carving and a bone set.

Now I have another hobby for the winter.

I'll post the real pics later

Ain't she purdy ?

How far in that hole can my arm actually go ? Maybe try a bit of finger carving and a bone set.

I assume you like a guitar with a bit of bling......

Why do I hear Glen Campbell singing in the background?

Ain't she purdy ?

I'll post the real pics later

Exciting -

I assume you like a guitar with a bit of bling......

Why do I hear Glen Campbell singing in the background?

Ha hahah, , , (I now notice I laugh like a rag-fool in all my recent posts, better make a cup of green walnut tea) -

OK, here's the story. I bought this off the bay on a whim. Until the last few minutes I thought that I would get it for $32, alas it went to $72

The add stated that it had a broken headstock that had been professionally repaired. I know very little about the brand firsthand, but I do know that they were at one time Harmony's top of the line and in that time frame some models sold for as much as $300. As I said, I wanted something that I could experiment with and my thinking was that if it truly was a "pro" job perhaps other work may have been done as well. Believing that if push came to shove I would either have a bit more experience in lutherie and a conversation piece hanging on the wall or kindling sufficient for a couple of nice fires.

The headstock repair is sufficient and even though the original saddle is missing and replaced with a thin strip of plastic there is no buzz anywhere on the neck which is straight and has an adj TR.

Body and fingerboard bound with ivoroid and tuners replaced with what appear to be stewmac econo's

Amazingly (at least to me) it has a clean bright sound as it sits. I'm going to try and remove about nine pounds of bracing and raise the strings a bit with a new nut and saddle. Will post the progress (slow) unfortunately no sound clips. I just can't find the hardware to record to my eight track.

8221845082_76d8f4eb0e.jpg

Sov Bk by Rescue Canyon Man, on Flickr

8221844756_bfa7936c35.jpg

Sov Side by Rescue Canyon Man, on Flickr

8221844360_90a3961789.jpg

Sov Ft by Rescue Canyon Man, on Flickr

Archived