Gibson Brands Forums

i just came back from the UPS store

Size + Weight + Value + Distance and multiply it by how fast it needs to get there.

I paid almost 300 dollars to have some handmade dishes shipped from Italy last year.

Shipping always resolves down to the above formula and amps are big and heavy so I'm not shocked that it's expensive but 800 damn how do they get anything sold to them if it cost as much to ship it as to buy it. I have found Fed-ex cheaper for some international stuff.

That my not be too far off, the rate will depend on a combination of weight, (usualy rounded off the next hightest pound) size - length x width x hight, and the level of service. Express (a couple of days) or standard (a couple of weeks or even months). You will also have to declare a value for customs as well as a value for insurance coverage. You do not need to claim an insuance value if it's being sent uninsured but if you do, both values must match. There may be taxes and duties billed to either you or the receiver bassed on the full value. That is why they may want you to claim it as less then true value. If you insure it for less, that's all you'll bet back if its' lost or damaged.

I briefly worked at a UPS distribution center and I can tell you

NEVER SHIP UPS

They don't give a crap about packages. I saw TV, Speakers. Computers and everything else, kicked, droped, drop kicked. thrown.

Fragile signs are bullseyes ,I quit after 1 week after a guy offered to sell me a box of souls, and not the ones in your shoes.

Absolutly frighting

Don't tell me you already sold it.

I'd bail on this one. Not worth the hassle.

+ a f-in million!

You know what else? When it arives there (If it does... we are talking south america here) the poor bastard that bought it will have to pay taxes on it... and by the current state of things in argentina those taxes are going to be some 500 bucks or more.

Never use the UPS store, unless you like to throw away money. Their prices will be just about double what you'd pay UPS directly. After all, they are just a middle man type operation, and they get their profit from you, not UPS.

Mailboxes Etc is just like the UPS Store, a middle man operation that will rob you blind.

Use a UPS drop off site, like Staples, or any local business that accepts UPS drops. You will have to package your items yourself, but it's not worth what the middle man stores will charge.

Fed Ex will be gentler with your package, but they are a little less likely to ship to some other countries.

The USPS is about the best way to go with smaller stuff, but larger and heavier stuff will be cheaper via UPS.

I sold on Ebay for years, so unless the rates have changed much lately, these rules should still apply.

+ a f-in million!

You know what else? When it arives there (If it does... we are talking south america here) the poor bastard that bought it will have to pay taxes on it... and by the current state of things in argentina those taxes are going to be some 500 bucks or more.

Whoooo

Steep very steep...

Flight959

+ a f-in million!

Current state of thing down here have nothinf to do with the price and the taxes

the problem is that there is only one company that imports music instruments here in Argentina, and the put the price that they want to things...

for example , the last things that i bought were:

VOX AD VT 100 XL (hi gain 100 W 2 x 12 hibrid amp), and i paid over 1000 dollars for it (more or less double of the price in the states)

Behringher V-amp 2 (almost 300 dollars)

Behrigher FCB1010 (300 dollars)

Gibson Les Paul Supreme (i paid something like 4500 dollars, and it was 4800 on the store)

Now i am about to get an all tube amp.

The Vox AC30 CC2 (2 x 12 all tube amp) is not available anywhere they will be arriving by ship this january and they estimate the price will be something like 2500 dollars (you can get 2 of those in the states with that money)

The fender Deville 410 is about 1800 Dollars or more

Sometimes it's cheaper to get things through ebay and ship them for us...

it sound crazy but some people i know just got for example gibson 70's hummingbird

for less than 2000 dollars through ebay, but here stores will ask more than 4500 for them...

Ibanez TS 9 here cost around 250 dollars...

and so on...

Archived