Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. [thumbup] Looking good so far.

Cheers..

And cheers Izzy.. And yes I know this has been dragging a bit since I got the trussrod done.. But im an honest writer so if you guys feel that its because im feeling it.. BUT im almost over this hump now, I can feel it coming :)

Sooo.. today is going to be a big update.. Its al fretboard related and theres Good, Bad and YAY to come.....

So today I went at cutting the pre-slotted fretboard to shape... Man my heart was beating so much when I went too cut it..

So I outlined the shape with masking tape.

DSC02308_zpsb7dff19e.jpg

I made a guide and decided to use the jigsaw as to date its still what I get the best results with even though im really getting to know my router...

DSC02309_zps056d8c10.jpg

AND I did it

DSC02310_zpsb0f123ab.jpg

I just needed to cut the end off as there was a few spare inches... and AHHGHHAGHGGHGGAHAGGHAGGAHGAHAG!!!!!!!

DSC02313_zpsf8fb8a8d.jpg

I was not happy... My own stupid fault really as I should have realised how fragile it would be at the fret slots which is exactly where it snapped off DOHHHHH!!!

But luckily as im doing two guitars now I ordered two at once so I had a second attempt.. This time I decided that the jigsaw was just too harsh and none of the saws I had would do the job so I went with trying it with my new template router bit that I did the second body with (on my other thread)...

And low and behold... IT WORKED YAY YAY YAY :)

DSC02325_zpsc1c3391a.jpg

So that's part one.. the Good and the bad next is the radius.

So wow I have a fretboard the right shape.. Now to radius it

So heres my radius block with 80 grit sandpapaer taped to it

DSC02328_zps3a2b6a19.jpg

I then stuck the fretboard to the work surface with double sided tape

DSC02331_zpsf14ccde2.jpg

DSC02334_zpscb5afff1.jpg

Then I did this for about 45 mins :)

DSC02335_zps8c66d5a4.jpg

Just starting to get into it

DSC02336_zpsf65dd258.jpg

Now this is a good sign that the line is in the middle means im doing it in a balanced way.. it means that I have radiused the outer bits and just that middle line is left. Just what you want to see

DSC02341_zps04286fda.jpg

Getting there ...Nice!! :)

DSC02340_zpsed9e9a04.jpg

and done

DSC02350_zpsf5057d55.jpg

DSC02355_zps89255310.jpg

The evolution of a fretboard :) (my first blank, the broken one and the finished one)

DSC02357_zpsc771a7fa.jpg

So now that main bits done I just need to stick it down.. I was going to do that tonight but the neck top needs a bit of flattening down so I will go at that tomorrow... Then the neck profile :D then I stick it to the body.. AWESOME !!

Here you can see the new board on the neck.. Whats weird is that at the start I thought it was the worst out of the three colour wise.. Now ive sanded it, it looks really good.. And some more to go yet (will sand it to 600grit and get it nice and smooth.

DSC02360_zps9ee0bc72.jpg

And here you can see I have a headstock veneer that I need to make about 3mm thinner.. if I can :)

DSC02363_zps1edeee6d.jpg

So.. as ever.. getting there bit by bit.. This was a close one with the fretboard, but just managed to pull it off [thumbup]

Looking amazing Rabs! I cheated and peeked ahead in your pics before I read everything and my heart sank when I saw your broken board, so glad you had the back up plan. Really nice flowing grain pattern on it too. As always very impressed with the work you're pulling off with so little in the way of a wood shop. Be eagerly awaiting the next few stages, your getting slow close now.

Johnny

Looking amazing Rabs! I cheated and peeked ahead in your pics before I read everything and my heart sank when I saw your broken board, so glad you had the back up plan. Really nice flowing grain pattern on it too. As always very impressed with the work you're pulling off with so little in the way of a wood shop. Be eagerly awaiting the next few stages, your getting slow close now.

Johnny

Lol.. cheers man (and Surf)...

Yeah I think im almost over this hump now.. See that's the thing, your not just watching a build in non ideal circumstances but your watching me learn as I go..

Im hoping that with all I have learned that I will actually finish the first two projects at roughly the same time.. Now thatd be cool :)

Cheers for watching and hopefully I will shoot forward soon.

It's looking good rabs . I'm enjoying watching this.

Cheers man.... I hope im not boring people cos I know its getting a bit long.. But I am already thinking about future builds cos I am enjoying it a lot.. I think once I get my processes down I will be able to produce them fairly quickly (well compared to this first one anyway :))

OK so here we go.... Today is a big one..

I sanded the top of the neck to make sure it was all as flat as possible as there was a few bumpy spots where I put the trussrod shim and sanded it back down..

So I made a couple of marks so I can line it up when the glue goes on.. It dries REALLY quickly so don't get much time to get it right

DSC02367_zps9d68c606.jpg

DSC02368_zpsf9b06ce3.jpg

No going back now [-o< [-o< [-o< :blink:

DSC02369_zps050a863d.jpg

This baby needs as much clamping as possible.. I hope its enough pressure in the right places :unsure:

DSC02370_zpsa72fc565.jpg

At first glance it looks ok.. but you never know till you take the clamps off...

DSC02372_zpsf1c1983f.jpg

So there you go... will let it dry overnight and we will see the full results tomorrow (may even go at the neck profile tomorrow if all is well)... Fingers crossed :) [-o<

Been a bit quite this week.. I had Friday off cos my hands were aching from all that sanding and just carried on with getting that fretboard right...

Sooo.. we left it with the fretboard being glued to the neck.. And heres the results... To be honest I made a mistake and I knew whar I had done wrong as soon as I saw it...

DSC02376_zps78e5f570.jpg

If you see theres a few tiny gaps... Now this happened cos what I should have done was re-tighten the clamps about ten minutes after I first glued them which would have really tightened the whole board close to the neck...

However the other side wasn't so bad

DSC02380_zpsb5896014.jpg

I also had another look at the radius and saw that it needs some extra work too.

DSC02381_zps7b52d04e.jpg

So the fretboard... Not an issue.. I have a way of fixing it that I will show you.

What you do is save some of the sawdust when you radius the fretboard

DSC02391_zpsefe4eb34.jpg

Work it into any areas that need filling

DSC02393_zpsdbb7baed.jpg

Than add some glue which you let sink in a bit.. Then while it was still tacky I rubbed a bit more rosewood dust in

DSC02401_zps6c04d3d4.jpg

Doesn't look pretty but that will rub up nice

DSC02405_zps0fc47303.jpg

So I let that dry over night and see the results below :)

here you go... After a quick rub down

DSC02410_zpsa6034699.jpg

DSC02412_zps97aaf315.jpg

Nice and tight

DSC02415_zpsb5378eab.jpg

DSC02416_zpse6f13558.jpg

DSC02417_zps48ccff7a.jpg

Soo not looking too bad... And once that's sprayed up it wont even be noticeable..

I also did some more radiusing which im almost happy with

DSC02407_zpsf41292f0.jpg

And I need to use some high grit sandpaper to smooth things up (cos its getting a bit scratchy)

DSC02408_zps9ba7576a.jpg

So this is how its looking now... Next thing, the neck profile [unsure] :)

DSC02419_zps1b7cb1a7.jpg

Ohhhhh that's looking good!

Cheers man :)

I was a bit gutted at first when I saw that I forgot to screw the clamps down a second time.. BUT I am still learning and it gives me a chance to see how I can cope with making small fixes like that.. So im pretty happy about it in the end, even though its meant another two days.. Lol.. almost there (well with the neck anyway).

I will profile it this week.. That will be interesting [unsure] ;)

You're just paying dues brother. Stick with it.

You can be sure of that man.. this WILL get finished... that is not even a doubt :) (apart from if something totally crazy happens)

You can be sure of that man.. this WILL get finished... that is not even a doubt :) (apart from if something totally crazy happens)

BTW... you know those gaps are the reason binding was invented....right? [thumbup]

When I saw the gap I thought, "NO!!!!!!!!!!!" but you fixed it and I was like, "phew."

Lurv this thread. I feel like I'm there with you...far back away from danger and stuff...

I had thought about just lying about it and saying look at my good work lol... But in a way having to overcome small issues like this is all part of the learning.. And part of the point of the thread is to show you how I learn, what mistakes I make (as I knew there would always be some).. And then how I overcome that and learn for the next time .. :)

Im glad people are still reading and its not getting too boring.. I also probably like most of you just want to hear the damn thing now lol But soon... patience O:) It will come soon enough ;)

I have really enjoyed following your progress on your guitar build. Some very nice work.

What brought you to think of using door for the project?

Is this going to be for your own personal use.

It sounds like you have built from scratch before.

If so have you posted pics of your other builds?

Look forward to see the finished guitar

looks great, thanks

I have really enjoyed following your progress on your guitar build. Some very nice work.

What brought you to think of using door for the project?

Is this going to be for your own personal use.

It sounds like you have built from scratch before.

If so have you posted pics of your other builds?

Look forward to see the finished guitar

looks great, thanks

Thank you very much for the comments.. all is appreciated :)

The reason I used a door was simply as there were two lying about in my parents garage.. I was going to use some other wood from a side table I had.. And one day when I was bored I was going to throw it out and thought, hmm I wonder if I can make this into something else.. Being a guitar nut and not being able to buy any new ones to fuel my GAS I thought why not... So I checked the internet to see if its something I thought I could do (as ive been unemployed for over a year and am VERY bored)...

Using this wood is good though as its from a 50 year old door (from my parents old toilet :P :)) so its solid and wont be warping or anything..

Nope.. Not only have I never built from scratch but I haven't even ever done wood work since I was 12 at school.. Part of the challenge was to see if I could do it with no training (apart from what I read and see on the net) and without the proper bench tools.. I use a jigsaw and a router and am making it in a tent in my flat :) lol it almost sounds stupid when I say it like that.

And I guess. well if someone wants to buy it I may be open to offers :)

Actually I am already planning to make more so if I can ever etch a living out of it, id me MORE than happy :) (theres a project no 2 already started on this thread http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/100387-turn-a-door-to-a-guitar-project-2/ where I hope to use all I have learned making this first guitar to make it much quicker (actually I hope to finish the first two at the same time)..

Thanks for reading.. Hopefully it wont be too long and we will all get to hear it as I will do a vid at the end.

If you are building this with just those basic tools, I could only imagine what you could do if you had a real shop and a full set of tools.

I think it funny you used the door off a bathroom, the thoughts of a name for the finished guitar are endless.

Maybe the members could pool their thoughts on a name for it, <I have a few>

looking forward to new posts

thanks

I hope im not boring people cos I know its getting a bit long.. But

Nonsense,,,, this is by far the coolest thread going.

You got some big balls to not only tackle this project with no experience but to also post it for everyone to see.

What ever the outcome, I give you full props on this one Rabs.

I'm lovin it... keep it up and keep us posted man.

[thumbup]

Nonsense,,,, this is by far the coolest thread going.

You got some big balls to not only tackle this project with no experience but to also post it for everyone to see.

What ever the outcome, I give you full props on this one Rabs.

I'm lovin it... keep it up and keep us posted man.

[thumbup]

Lol.. cheers man... these comments do help me so its appreciated.. And im glad people are enjoying it. The neck profile has me worried a little.. Im gonna have to do it by eye and feel so I hope I can do it justice :)

Its also going to take many hours to do as I will be doing it with just a rasp and a sander... So we will soon see on that one :)

Archived