Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you able to invest in a router table? I have one.

They are very handy.

There is no way in hell to free hand a router,, They have minds of their own.

Looking great Rabs.

Following this with great interest....

Cheers man and yeah I get that now :)

I have been playing with the guide plate and can use it a bit better now but have decided to try and make a template.. Theres a little attachment you can put on the bottom of it where it has a guide lip so if you have a tamplate you should be able to do it pretty straight... in theory :) Lol all part of the fun

(and no I dont have the money or the space for a table.. I dont even know if I will do this again yet.. And being unemployed £30 was a lot for me for the cheap router (that are often about £70 ish and upwards. So im trying to make do and not spend money I dont have :))

looking good and still working at it which is what it takes especially on the first one. But yeah cutting the neck groove for the dado is tricky without a table saw, but honestly I rarely use mine even though I have one it's up at my cabin and for some reason I build my guitars in Town usually. I honestly usually just cut the groove with a set of chisels. But for whatever reason i do most of my woodworking with a set of old good steel german chisels and scrapers as well as a couple small hand planes and that is what I usually carve the neck with I just find it's almost as fast to work with a sharp chisel than setting up the power tools and it also gives me a chance to take a bit of time and work with the grain rather than just blasting through it. I use my router and a laminate trimmer mostly just to do binding and inlay work if needed.

YAY.. my Searcy pickups arrived today... (even though they made me pay £25 import taxt, bastards.. but what can you do :))

Now I just need to learn how to use my router properly.. and hopefully it wont be too long before I get to hear them in action.

DSC02076_zps96e74249.jpg

DSC02082_zpsd87ea362.jpg

DSC02078_zpseb3e1cdf.jpg

Wow...the Humbucker is SS# 101 and the P90 is the neighbor of the beast...lol.

-Ryan

Haha.. yeah,. I cant wait to hear them... I had a BFG once with that sort of pickup combo and it was a total beast.. When you played in the middle position you could almost hear the pups fighting each other.. but it was a good sound :)

Haha.. yeah,. I cant wait to hear them... I had a BFG once with that sort of pickup combo and it was a total beast.. When you played in the middle position you could almost hear the pups fighting each other.. but it was a good sound :)

The setup in my Melody Maker works on a similar concept. Two pickups with completely different designs working against eachother to create a unique sound when combined. Mine sounds a little more Tele-esque than yours will probably :P

cmyl1Jg.jpg

-Ryan

The setup in my Melody Maker works on a similar concept. Two pickups with completely different designs working against eachother to create a unique sound when combined. Mine sounds a little more Tele-esque than yours will probably :P

-Ryan

Ohh I like the look of that a lot [thumbup]

And yes thats exactly the idea.. Ive been wanting a guitar with that combo ever since the BFG.. The only reason I sold that guitar was cos I never got on with the 50s neck whic is a shame cos I loved everything else about it.

DSC01173.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. after another series of set backs its been another week or so since I did much as I had to take my tent down to do something else in the flat.. Its back up now and today I actually did something that not only will help me with this build but will help me on any future build (assuming there are any).

Basically as I had said I was having issues using my router correctly.. Ive now had a fair bit of practice and have made some templates for the truss rod and the pickups... (at last :))

I still need to test these and make sure they do the job correctly before I go to the actual guitar... This will happen in the next couple of days.. If all goes well I will have the trussrod in, fretboard glued on and neck joint ready...

After this (and I know ive said this before). The build should go pretty quick.. So im hoping to have it finished in the next month or so now.. We will see what happens next ;)

So heres the pickup template (the p90 one is slightly out in the top right corner)

DSC02098_zps703945bd.jpg

And me testing the holes are the right size... They are so snug they hold the pups in place

DSC02097_zps54d13626.jpg

And the big one the Trussrod template

DSC02099_zps9d9a98a2.jpg

Again nice and snug it holds the TR in place

DSC02101_zpsa1e9526b.jpg

DSC02100_zpsccd854a6.jpg

You will see that the router has a small attachment you stick on the bottom that will allow you to follow a template.. Wont work with the Trussrod template though as its too big.. So I can either attempt it sort of free hand as im much more comfortable now using the router or I can get a new router bit that has a roller guide on the top of it that does the same job.

20130310_203709_zps18c266b0.jpg

So as ever.. slow but sure is the way.. It will be interesting to see how much quicker the next one goes.. Assuming I ever get this finished :P :)

More soon.

I'm keeping track of this thread, man. You better have more than just pics when its all done. I'm talking vid and all. [thumbup]

Haha.. yes... Ok thats a promise to you anyone whos follwing this still (I know its been long).. I will make a video at the end of this and actually plan what im going to play (rather than the videos I have done in the past where I just play whatever comes and end up making myself look like a really boring player as my mind always goes blank when the camera is on ;))

This latest step may seem small to most but its a big step for me as it was getting in the way till I learned how to use the router properly... So bare with me folks [thumbup]

And thanks to anyone still following :)

I've been on this one since day one. Good stuff, and kudo's to you for even trying this! [thumbup]

Cheers man... The support is appreciated an helps :)

Still many things that can go wrong.. but thats why im taking it slowly..... Hopefully once the neck is done it will come together nicely.. [thumbup] Cant wait to hear Searcys pups aswell.. :)

Ha.. well I know where to come if that happens :P

I just hope I dont wire them so wrongly I blow my self up in the process ;)

well Rabs, there's a first time for everything I spose..

Good luck brother..

Also following since the beginning Rabs. Anticipating the final version. Looking good.

Cheers man... I cant wait to get these neck bits done cos the rest is less fiddly... So assuming I get it done this week I think it should really start coming together quick.. :)

I have pretty much everything I need.. but this week need to order some wire for the pots and stuff and some springs and screws for the pups.. that will be everything... I have the nitro spray cans and grain fillers.. (but need to experiment with them a bit as ive never used filler before)...

Wow! Quite an interesting thread I might say. I can't wait to see how it turns out. When you're done with this project, you can play this Door's tune on it which is quite fitting, since your guitar is practically made out of a door. ;) [rolleyes]

Ha.. I hadnt thought of that.. Playing a Doors song ... lol I will have to now wont I ;) [thumbup]

Archived