Gibson Brands Forums

My new project.. Turn a door into a guitar

Rabs

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lookin' good Rabs. That neck looks really wide. You must have big hands, or is it just an optical illusion?

Cheers man.... and yeah its big at the moment.. Havent even started to get that down to size yet it was just rough cut.. I may start later today or just wait till tomorrow now.. It will be as Gibsonish as I can make it :).. The fretboard itself is exactly Gibson spec and the total scale length will also be Gibson spec (24.75").

Guest Farnsbarns

Still looking good, Rabs. I must admit, at first I couldn't see this being pulled off but your really are getting there.

Still looking good, Rabs. I must admit, at first I couldn't see this being pulled off but your really are getting there.

Cheers man... Don't worry, still loads that can go wrong yet :P :)

I keep imagining when I go to drill the holes for the fret markers the drill or router (haven't decided how im gonna do it exactly yet)that it goes sliding off and takes half the fretboard with it lol.. I will try my best :)

This is great!

So much progress since my last peek!

I deliberately left off visiting here every day so there would be a huge amount of stuff to see all at once.

Although it's nice to see so much in one 'hit' I think checking in at each stage is more involving somehow.

And one of the most interesting aspects is seeing how the occasional slips and hiccoughs are resolved - such as the double-clamping issue.

If you posted all the Beauties without the Warts it would still be good, of course, but not quite as involving nor as fascinating as it most certainly is!

Keep Up The Good Work, Rabs!

[thumbup]

P.

This is great!

So much progress since my last peek!

I deliberately left off visiting here every day so there would be a huge amount of stuff to see all at once.

Although it's nice to see so much in one 'hit' I think checking in at each stage is more involving somehow.

And one of the most interesting aspects is seeing how the occasional slips and hiccoughs are resolved - such as the double-clamping issue.

If you posted all the Beauties without the Warts it would still be good, of course, but not quite as involving nor as fascinating as it most certainly is!

Keep Up The Good Work, Rabs!

[thumbup]

P.

Wow.. such nice words from everyone.. Thanks Pip and all who are reading and commenting...

And yes I think the wart n all approach is the best way.. That way you can see the learning curve. And just maybe it may inspire someone else to try as I really think it just takes some research, common sense and a passion to do it (as do most things in life)... And it all goes to add the good musical karma :) The idea of creating something that will then go and create music which helps make people happy is a really nice one for me to think about.

I'm wondering if the neck needs to bow upward a little before you install the trussrod?

The neck is totally straight... The bowing comes from string tension so you never know exactly how a certain piece of wood will react until you string it up.. It will be too late to add the truss rod at that point :)

Its mainly there to correct any up bowing from the string tension and for general support... Some people don't even use truss rods on their builds if say its a very strong wood or is multi layered..

Hello fellow guitar people and watchers :)

So this week ive been waiting for a good time slot to go at the neck profile... BUT have just been busy so I decided just to make a quick start on it to get that first bit out the way. Im just using a rasp at the moment (which is a really rough file)..

You will see it will take me some time to get to the right shape.. But hopefully tomorrow I will be able to finish it (assuming nothing comes up).

But first... Heres me thinning out a bit of wood for the headstock veneer. As with all of this its the first time ive tried this technique so am pretty happy with it :)

Heres a vid (my first one on this build (theres two on the second build already)..

So to the all important neck profile (probably one of the most important bits of the build for a playable guitar)..

So this is before. You can see ive drawn guide lines

20130424_232742_zps6c08e53f.jpg

20130424_232807_zps24ad4be3.jpg

And heres it after a bit of work with the rasp (sorry for the phone cam pics, my main camera is charging). You can just about see the slanted edges im creating

20130424_234356_zpsa322794f.jpg

20130424_234402_zpsb0aa844f.jpg

and at the end of my first session.. This is going to be done mostly by eye and feel.. I don't want to use any power tools at this point so its all hand tools for this

20130424_234433_zps5d5a4b36.jpg

So.. the important start has been made.. I think ive been putting it off slightly as its a bit scary :) lol But hopefully tomorrow I will get to finish this and the next thing you will see is a finished neck profile :)

Peace out [thumbup]

Hello and welcome to day two of the neck profiling.

So, I said in my last post I was going to try and finish it today but yet again I have been kept busy doing other things (typical when you want the spare time it seems to go away lol)... Anyway.. Heres where we were at yesterday

DSC02433_zpsf207f808.jpg

DSC02435_zps562a40a9.jpg

Now there are proper ways to do this by measuring klines out and creating facets on the side of the neck and then smoothing that to a round surface.. Ive been doing it by eye and feel.. Maybe its right maybe its wrong but we will see soon.. I think its going ok.. I only had to stop cos after two hours rasping my hands (and body) needed a rest :) So id rather do it in another session when im fresh again and do it properly than rush it and regret.

So here it is again after about another hour

DSC02438_zpsb8448a7d.jpg

DSC02439_zpsc6d4ded2.jpg

Im gonna leave the very back and front of the neck and do that with finer files as the rasp as you can see is fairly rough with the wood

DSC02440_zps255531ce.jpg

DSC02442_zps3bb53644.jpg

DSC02444_zps45d5a53e.jpg

DSC02446_zps47fedb07.jpg

And finally after another 45 mins

DSC02448_zps0e47038f.jpg

DSC02451_zps2f9e9bc0.jpg

DSC02457_zps843c7893.jpg

Getting there :)

DSC02458_zpsfa796ae9.jpg

So.. Im not sure if I will get to finish this tomorrow.. But if not it will be done 100% on Saturday..

Nearly there.

And finally after another 45 mins

DSC02448_zps0e47038f.jpg

DSC02451_zps2f9e9bc0.jpg

DSC02457_zps843c7893.jpg

Getting there :)

DSC02458_zpsfa796ae9.jpg

So.. Im not sure if I will get to finish this tomorrow.. But if not it will be done 100% on Saturday..

Nearly there.

+1 for your patience Rabs. You seem to have a "feel" for what is the right thing to do and you don't get pressured by the urge to get it over with. Good project.

GB

+1 for your patience Rabs. You seem to have a "feel" for what is the right thing to do and you don't get pressured by the urge to get it over with. Good project.

GB

Thanks man... and yes totally... I am taking my time on the first one to make sure I get it right.. I do get a bit impatient with it sometimes but always try to resist going too mad.. I think its good to do a bit, have a look what you've done and then carry on a fresh.. As I have said part of the issue I have is that I am working in such a small space. After a few hours of it the air is thin, I am sweating and my hands are hurting.. So I think slowly slowly catchy monkey :)

Even though I may have a solution to that soon (the work space) :)

Wow! That is looking a lot like a guitar neck at this point. Your patience has my utmost respect. I woulda screwed that up for sure!

Cheers man.. it really does seem in this case that slow and sure is the way [thumbup]

My next one will go much quicker im sure :)

Welcome to day three of the neck profiling. And all I can say is OWWWwwwwww.. RSI city.. My right thumb is killing me right at the joint.. I think its cos I must be using poor technique, but I think that's cos I don't have a proper bench to work off..

Oh well.. I may have to let my hand rest for a day before I finish this.. But never mind theres lots of other things to do in the mean time (like fret markers [unsure] )

Sooo.. First I will show you a series of shots so you can see it taking shape.. Then in the next post I have three side profile shots that really show the difference.

So heres what we have at the moment. Actually not a bad shape but still too thick.. So rasp on :)

DSC02466_zps5f7a8541.jpg

And after a bit more rasping and sanding

DSC02467_zpse6768cd4.jpg

DSC02474_zpsf82cfd25.jpg

I also feel the shape along the way making sure it feels right and ergonomic on the hand

Not bad. But still not there yet.

DSC02477_zps4de006cc.jpg

DSC02478_zpsfc251a42.jpg

Then I smoothed it down a bit to get a better idea

DSC02490_zps256274dd.jpg

Starting to really get there

DSC02496_zps3be5fe0d.jpg

DSC02498_zpscab712ab.jpg

See below for a good idea of how the neck has changed and the almost finished version

So heres a side view where you can really see

Wednesday

DSC02435_zps562a40a9.jpg

Thursday (you can see its still a bit bumpy)

DSC02475_zpsc68bba11.jpg

And today.. Peretty much done.. just some minor hand sanding with a higher grit paper now

DSC02493_zpsb79f9587.jpg

Nice! This is the point that you start to worry about going too thin. You're looking plenty safe though.

Cheers.. And yeah I was slightly worried about hitting the bottom of the trussrod lol (cos its quite deep at the back).. But all seems well.. Im pretty much at the right profile size now so its just a bit of shaping and sanding to a smooth finish..

As I say... fret markers next.. YIKES [unsure] :) But like everything so far I will take it slow, practice on some scrap wood first and make sure I get it right..

Its getting the depth right and the angle straight that worries me :) (and that why I went with plain dots ;))

Sink em a little high and sand em flush. Easy like pie. You're doing the hard part now. [scared]

Sink em a little high and sand em flush. Easy like pie. You're doing the hard part now. [scared]

Lol.. yeah.. but we are talking a thickness of 2mm.. not much room for error.. I think im gonna gauge the depth simply by putting tape on the end of the bit. I will try for 1.5mm and as you say sand the rest flush (hopefully :)).

Archived