Gibson Brands Forums

First attempt rather pleased

Flight959

A BIG thanks to Farnsbarns for keeping me company on my first attempt at shooting the night sky! :rolleyes:

For my first go I was rather pleased with these two results...

Second photo has something moving down the image... Not sure what it is... Maybe a satellite???? Opinions? [cursing]

Struggled with light pollution but given that I think they are ok...

Thanks Farns!!

8245883396_4db7bbca91_z.jpg

Night sky 1st attempt by imagesliveon, on Flickr

8244826415_997e61acaa_z.jpg

Night Sky 1st attempt by imagesliveon, on Flickr

Regards

Simon [thumbup]

It has to be a meteorite/shooting star as a satellite would have taken minutes to go over - you have one in the first picture too, by the left-most tree; as there are no star trails I assume it was not a long exposure. The Pleiades ('Seven Sisters') and Hyades are very recognisable, the very bright star must be a planet (I think Jupiter but don't have a guide for this month) and you can see Orion's belt rising behind the trees. For stars obviously the first one is much better. You were facing roughly East and the light at left is moonrise?

A lot better than my pictures mate!

EDIT -yes it is Jupiter.

Guest Farnsbarns

They came out OK despite the light pollution problems.

Bye the way, and this is a hazard when living near Croydon, someone has stolen the moon.

The thing in the first shot was definitely an aeroplane, not sure about the second, could be a very high aeroplane but I didn't see it. It could be a fairly fast moving satellite I suppose.

It was indeed Jupiter in a straight line from Betelgeuse through Orion's head and continue about 15 moons.

That was fun but the approaching crowd making weird noises freaked me out a bit before I realised they were calling a dog.

...Pippy does the low ISO create that somewhat unwelcome vinetting in the first image??...

TBH I haven't a clue, Flight, but I wouldn't have thought it possible.

My guess is it's just natural darkening of the night sky towards the zenith due to the very short focal length/angle of coverage (as regards how much sky is being covered) but it really is only a guess.

I haven't any experience of the lens but would doubt a Canon lens could have so much inherent exposure fall-off. The natural phenomenon - strange as it may sound - seems the most likely cause.

P.

30 sec expo... Tripod is a must! [confused]

well yes of course, I've done a considerable amount of night shooting.

I was thinking the stars would show some distortion from the earths rotation, but Maybe not for 30 seconds

there's a motor that you can mount on the tripods that you can set to mimic the earths rotation so as the earth rotates, the tripod moves in sequence so the objects don't get the "movement affect -- which for long exposures would show up as circular trails of light.

So I was asking if you had used that as the stars don't seem to show a lot of distortion... (no, not that kind of distortion... :rolleyes: )

well yes of course, I've done a considerable amount of night shooting.

I was thinking the stars would show some distortion from the earths rotation, but Maybe not for 30 seconds

there's a motor that you can mount on the tripods that you can set to mimic the earths rotation so as the earth rotates, the tripod moves in sequence so the objects don't get the "movement affect -- which for long exposures would show up as circular trails of light.

So I was asking if you had used that as the stars don't seem to show a lot of distortion... (no, not that kind of distortion... :rolleyes: )

Sorry,

No I haven used one of those. 30Sec isn't enough to show the movement

Lovely shots. [thumbup]

For those who aren't astronomically inclined here are a few constellation patterns lifted from the web which you might be able to pick out from the OP's photos:

Auriga (which is actually joined to Taurus):

auriga_with_clusters_l-580x552.jpg

Taurus above and orion below it:

taurus.lf.jpg

This is what that little fuzzy patch that is the Seven Sisters (the Pleiades) would look like if your eyes could pick out all the nebulosity around the stars in that cluster:

l.jpg

Here's Gemini the twins:

Gem_map.jpg

Archived