Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD

clarkuss

I thought my next guitar would be a Gibson Les Paul Jr Satin Cherry or a Classic Player Fender Strat. This Sonic Blue strat caught my eye on ebay. Came with a hard case and upgraded noiseless pickups and when it didn't sell, I did a deal with the guy saving £25 on what was already a bargain. Smooth transaction and it arrived today.

I've never been a Fender person and always disliked strats. My Dad had a strat copy when I was a kid and I found the weight heavy, the balance unnatural and the pickups annoyingly in the way on my playing hand but after playing guitar for over ten years and owned about 30+ various instruments I felt it was time to give Fenders another go and also thought my collection was missing the tone and versatility of a strat/tele type guitar.

All the things I disliked about them when I was a kid are still there but not so much now I'm a bit older, bigger and stronger with a bit more playing experience but now I'm embarking on doing a lot of home recording I'm looking forward to utilising the range of tones and the very playable neck at home as an alternative to my other "Beatly" guitars.

Here he is: 2007 Mexican Classic Player Fender Stratocaster in Sonic Blue

309236_661342459481_147194081_n.jpg

$(KGrHqRHJEkFBb(!olR1BQlrqkG2!g~~60_12.JPG

Thanks Willy. I'm one of those in the minority who don't go in for strap locks. Most of my guitars are 50s-60s styled and I think they look terribly modern. On most of my gigging guitars I tend to get good quality new straps for my guitars and unscrew the strap bolts, put on the strap and trap it with the strap bolt so that the straps are on before the holes stretch and I've never had a problem so far.

Congrats on buying such an iconic looking guitar,Strats like John's and George's Sonic Blue twins are becoming very popular and valuable.The Guitar Broker just west of Ft. Lauderdale,Fla. had a '61 Sonic Blue Strat for sale and he was asking an astronomical $90,000 for it.I have a Sonic Blue Strat on my list but I wouldn't pay that kind of bucks for it unless it was John's.Of course George's is no longer Sonic Blue as it was painted by him and was transformed into "Rocky".BTW: Andy Babiuk,the guy who wrote the best seller book "Beatles Gear" sells "Rocky" clones in his store for around $600,they are made from Squier Strats and are dead on reproductions to the tiniest detail but for extra bucks you can order a real Fender Strat.

Archived