Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 1994 Gibson J-200 "Special".

frenchie1281734003

I have just traded my 2010 J-200 standard Maple sunburst, for this fabulous 94 J-200 "Special" [biggrin]

P1011031-1.jpg

P1011032-1.jpg

P1011030-1.jpg

P1011035-1.jpg

I know the mid 90s Gibson`s can be a bit hit and miss, paricularly around 93-95, what with the ramping up for the "Centennial". But when I tried this over at Frailers(Runcorn) last week, I just had to have it! It had everything my standard had, plus a lot more. Only problem was, it was on hold!!

Frank the owner at Frailers, had put it by for a regular of his (Until December 31st), and although he was prepared to do a straight swap for my 2010 (Due to the fact he doesn`t get many J-200`s in), he wanted to honour his regular customer. I left the store very downhearted, and fearing all was lost. However new years day came and went, and it was still on his website, so I phoned first thing Wednesday morning from work, found out that the deal had fallen through (Frank didn`t want to P/X with lesser guitars), and yes he would straight swap for mine. A phone call home, and my lovely wife went over, there and then to collect.

It`s early days, but I know, this J-200, like my 94 J-100 Xtra, is a keeper [biggrin]

Can anyone help me by identifying the wood used on the B&S?

P1011034-1.jpg

It definitely isn`t Mahogany, but it looks similar to certain types of Cocobolo, Bubinga or Ovangkol. Whatever it is,it sounds wonderful!

Steve.

Thanks Big K, I have just looked at a load of hard woods, and the closest fit I`ve found so far, is plain Bubinga, or Honduran Rosewood.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/bubinga.html

The trouble with these hard woods, is they all tend to look different, depending on how they are cut.

Steve.

Another vote for Bubinga from me. Good looking guitar! How does it sound compared to the Maple?

I've spent many a happy hour in Frailers and Frank is a great guy to deal with - definately one of the good guys in the guitar world.

Hate to be the boring guy, but could it be rosewood. . .

Anyway - how about a little chat over why you switched. A comparison of sounds.

Congratulations on what seems to be a step up ^

The store had it advertised as Rosewood B&S (After I had enquired), but I`m not convinced and am coming around to thinking it`s plain Bubinga.

As for switching, there were various reasons really. The J-200 Standard I had, was only two years old and didn`t have a mark on it, I would have hated to put the first dink in it. It felt really new, and in a strange way bigger than my 94 J-100 Xtra. I didn`t really like the silkscreened printed pickguard much either. The Tusq nut & saddle looked particularly cheap, what with the Teabag type staining they had too. Those are just niggles really, and the guitar did deliver very well in the tone department, by being crisp and well balanced. I wasn`t fussed about the Fishman aura pickup either, infact I never used it!!

I perhaps should have given the J-200 Stanadard, a bit more time, but alas we didn`t bond.

Then I saw the 94 J-200 special on Frailers website, and although they only offered a full length photo of the front, I could tell looking through the soundhole, that the B&S were not Maple, and when I enquired, was told the B&S were Rosewood. Intrigued I popped over for a try. That`s when I knew it was the J-200 for me. The tone is bigger and more alive with deep warm bass and zinging trebles, that surprisingly blend in to a wonderful whole when strummed. It was also a bit louder too. The guitar as a whole was noticeably lighter than the Maple standard, and the neck felt slimmer.

I liked the lovely little details like the fret end binding, and the engraved and painted pickguard, with the Pearloid dots. Overall I got the impression that more care and attention went into the making of this J-200 special. All in all I couldn`t be happier [biggrin]

Steve.

As for switching, there were various reasons really.

Steve.

Always interesting to hear about exactly those types of pro/con considerations - and to go though them.

In an intriguing way they paint a very intimate and abstract picture of what goes on inside. The process is a clue in itself - the goal a part'n'mix of some ever carried developed code.

Thanks Merseybeat 1963 & E-minor7.

I think you are both right, it does appear to be Honduran Rosewood. Here`s a couple of photos of the sides:-

P1011036.jpg

P1011037.jpg

P1011038.jpg

The photos of the back came out too light, and with the wood being flatsawn didn`t give a clear impression of the grain. Here though with the side shots, you get to see the characteristics of Honduran Rosewood. The brown and black streaks, the small scattered birdseyes that it shares with maple, plus the olive green that shows up in the grain.

I am now pretty sure that it is Honduran Rosewood, am I right? Hopefully Gibson will reply to my email.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this 94 J-200 SPECIAL nearly three weeks now, and absolutely love it! [biggrin]

However i still don` know for sure what the back & side woods are. Gibson haven`t replied to my emails as usual (Surprise,surprise)! [thumbdn]

So I`d thought I`d bump the topic to see if any wood experts here see it. I think the back and sides are probably Honduran Rosewood, but with the back being flat sawn, it looks like it could be many types of wood, so I would ask those who know these things to check out the shots of the sides for a better idea of the wood grain.

Hopefully someone knows something.

Steve.

Congrats there Frenchie...sounds like you don't miss the maple! The back and sides grain look nice and if it's lighter that can only be perceived to be a good thing. I played a 2007 bubinga j100 and it was a lot heavier than a 2001 std j200 I played on the same day. My uneducated guess on your new back and sides would be a type of rosewood not found in the typical east indian areas. The new back and sides by looks alone reminds me a bit of mexican rosewood and even a little morado...I'm probably way off though! Happy pickin'

congratulations !

i never heard of a dealer dealing without money changing hands .... i this ( although i know you like it more) seen as a 'lesser guitar than the one you handed in?

looking forward to maybe hearing the guitar

I haven`t known a trader to do straight swaps either, but both of us were very happy. Originally he wanted my J-200, and offered me a straight swap for whatever I liked, although I think his new Martin D-45, and a couple of other Martin`s might have been out of the question, and he probably only meant the other Gibson`s he had in stock anyway. He did say that mine being an electro-acoustic(Fishman Aura eclipse system),and having the traditional sunburst finish and back and sides, was more desirable to him in his view. I on the other hand was happier to have a lighter guitar, with a better tone in my view, plus the unusual wood for B&S really appealed, along with those other little details.

Steve.

Archived