Gibson Brands Forums

First Epiphone

gjm777

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but have lurked for some time. Having always played solid body electrics over the past 20 years, I finally decided I wanted something semi hollow to get more of the blues sounds I was after.

After some research led me to a Gibson ES-335, I sadly realized I might never be able to afford it, however the Epiphone Dot seemed to be a really nice guitar for the money.

After scrapping some Christmas money together, I watched Craigslist patiently and finally found one with a hard case and was able to come to an arrangement. I wanted the VS but for the price I could not pass it up.

$200 for the guitar and the case. Based on the serial number this was made in the Saein Plant, Korea/China in May 2003.

The only flaw on the guitar was the small dent at the bottom of the guitar but you cant really see it. I'll probably fill it with some super glue and leave it be.

After a restring (Ernie Ball Cobalt 10s), lowering pf the action, polishing the frets, and using some lemon oil on the fret board it cleaned up really nice. Right now I'm using it with a Marshall valvestate S80 and the sound is great and it plays wonderfully, very happy I made the buy.

I've attached a few pics, one of the Guitar and one of the Dent/Chip

So again, just wanted to say Hello, have a good one.

post-52338-055586200 1357508498_thumb.jpg

post-52338-069814000 1357508499_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. You certainly picked a great Epi for your first one. JS has a sharp eye, that looks like a Sheraton pickguard. However I've seen DOTs with the same shape. But, you know what? I think it works nicely, either way. Here's your forum warming present. +1

Thanks,

Yeah maybe it is possible then, people do mod things and I'm sure most on here have more experience with Epis than I.

Here are a few more pics, I updated the original post with a better one of the dent.

post-52338-000587300 1357508330_thumb.jpg

post-52338-009310100 1357508331_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but have lurked for some time. Having always played solid body electrics over the past 20 years, I finally decided I wanted something semi hollow to get more of the blues sounds I was after.

After some research led me to a Gibson ES-335, I sadly realized I might never be able to afford it, however the Epiphone Dot seemed to be a really nice guitar for the money.

After scrapping some Christmas money together, I watched Craigslist patiently and finally found one with a hard case and was able to come to an arrangement. I wanted the VS but for the price I could not pass it up.

$200 for the guitar and the case. Based on the serial number this was made in the Saein Plant, Korea/China in May 2003.

The only flaw on the guitar was the small dent at the bottom of the guitar but you cant really see it. I'll probably fill it with some super glue and leave it be.

After a restring (Ernie Ball Cobalt 10s), lowering pf the action, polishing the frets, and using some lemon oil on the fret board it cleaned up really nice. Right now I'm using it with a Marshall valvestate S80 and the sound is great and it plays wonderfully, very happy I made the buy.

I've attached a few pics, one of the Guitar and one of the Dent/Chip

So again, just wanted to say Hello, have a good one.

Nice Dot... She's a keeper

ArGo

I'd say that two hundred with a hard case is even more than a steal, it's a gift.

As for mods...

Well, first figure that I'm old. But sometimes when I hear folks doing mods on a guitar like the Dot, it makes me feel as if I'm talking to teenagers - and then I try to recall that when I was a teen I wanted to "customize" everything I had my hands on that was "mine" as opposed to my parents'.

Regular maintenance, repair if necessary, and a personalized setup, OTOH, is something else. It sounds as if you're really doing well with a marvelous guitar purchase. I doubt you'll ever regret it.

m

Archived