Gibson Brands Forums

Who lives on both sides of the track?

geeterpicker

My Gibson's bigger than yours? [biggrin] Actually, I've been neglecting this guitar (among others) since the CS21-11 arrived. I remedied that tonight and was reminded of just what an awesome guitar this J200 TV is. Right out of the box from Bozeman with only the most minor TR adjustment it plays like butter and sounds like a million. Wow.

DSC01367.jpg

WOW! That IS pretty!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To understand whether large Gibsons or Martins are best from the 30s, you have to spend a few dollars and try a few.

30bigs.jpg

A few more years and we'll have a enough to decide for sure.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Okay Tom....now you're just showing off!

What a collection!

How 'bout a pic of your bass there? (I'd love to see the back & sides too).

Okay Tom....now you're just showing off!

What a collection!

How 'bout a pic of your bass there? (I'd love to see the back & sides too).

I suspect that's Tom's wife's bass, as she is frequently playing one in his videos.

Only an old bass player like DanvillRob would take his eye off that beautiful assortment of guitars to focus on the bass.....

I suspect that's Tom's wife's bass, as she is frequently playing one in his videos.

Only an old bass player like DanvillRob would take his eye off that beautiful assortment of guitars to focus on the bass.....

Nick, I LOVE blonde bass fiddles! I'd have one, but I'm afraid all the extra room in my house is taken up with guitars, amps, PA's etc...etc...etc......

To understand whether large Gibsons or Martins are best from the 30s, you have to spend a few dollars and try a few.

30bigs.jpg

A few more years and we'll have a enough to decide for sure.

Let's pick,

-Tom

That is very impressive! Wow

My wife is indeed a bass player, but also guitar, fiddle and mandolin. We share the same disease -- making music and acquiring instruments -- pretty much for 45 years. She sang to me the day I met her.

We collect guitars together, but her bass collection is her own. I don't have a single picture that illustrates the level of her obsession, but here are a couple that may give you an idea. Her are some medium size ones. and yes that is a Gibson Dobro bass,

bassess.jpg

Her main passion are old Kays, particularly S-51 (5 STRING) Chubby Jacksons.

c31s.jpg

These S-51s are Woody, Rhino, and Hot Lips -- 1940, 1939, and 1960.

Let's pick,

-Tom

My wife is indeed a bass player, but also guitar, fiddle and mandolin. We share the same disease -- making music and acquiring instruments -- pretty much for 45 years. She sang to me the day I met her.

We collect guitars together, but her bass collection is her own. I don't have a single picture that illustrates the level of her obsession, but here are a couple that may give you an idea. Her are some medium size ones. and yes that is a Gibson Dobro bass,

bassess.jpg

Her main passion are old Kays, particularly S-51 (5 STRING) Chubby Jacksons.

c31s.jpg

These S-51s are Woody, Rhino, and Hot Lips -- 1940, 1939, and 1960.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Is "Hot Lips" the blonde?

Man.... you two got it bad....(I'm envious!)

Man, all I can say is that you all have far tooooo many guitars!! How do you decide which one toplay? Anyway thanks for keeping the economy going!

BTW, if any of you decide to tithe one of those babies I know of a good church where you could that!! [smile] ........... :-k:-({|= (sorry Charlie!)

chasAK

Is "Hot Lips" the blonde?

Man.... you two got it bad....(I'm envious!)

Yea. that's her. You can see why in this picture == now that she does not have a hat:rolleyes:.

c32s.jpg

Here a picture of the backs someone ask for -- Rhino and Lot Lips. I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

c21s.jpg

Never play with instruments that are younger than you are.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Great pics!

I have seen a few of them before, so my question for Tom is one of logistics.

Where do you get your guitar strings? By the box of 25?

Do you employ someone full time or contract to change them all?

(Kidding - well half kidding - it all looks like a large job as well as a joy!)

BluesKing777.

Yea. that's her. You can see why in this picture == now that she does not have a hat:rolleyes:.

c32s.jpg

Here a picture of the backs someone ask for -- Rhino and Lot Lips. I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

c21s.jpg

Never play with instruments that are younger than you are.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I LOVE the backs of both those! (and hot lips ain't too bad either!)

We collect guitars together, but her bass collection is her own. I don't have a single picture that illustrates the level of her obsession, but here are a couple that may give you an idea. Her are some medium size ones. and yes that is a Gibson Dobro

Wow!! You are two lucky people to have found each other. What a wonderful hobby to be able to share together. And what a stunning collection you have both acquired! Enjoy in good health!

Where do you get your guitar strings? By the box of 25?

Do you employ someone full time or contract to change them all?

(Kidding - well half kidding - it all looks like a large job as well as a joy!)

Well, as strange as it may seem, we actually play all these guitars, albeit some far more than others. We play out at jams and shows perhaps 2-5 times a week (we are now retired). For us, participating in, and experiencing, these musical opportunities are also an ongoing opportunity to play and experience our instruments. As we cycle through the instruments as part of this process, we will generally restring the instruments before we take them out.

Up until maybe 15 years ago, we tried lots of different brands and strings. As a result of that, we came eventually decided that (1) long life coated strings generally did not sound quite as good as traditional strings, (2) we love 80/20 on mahogany guitars and (3) we found PB and 80/20 about equal for rosewood and maple. These are subjective and probably acquired tastes, so we don't recommend them to others -- but for us it works. After studying a number of different 80/20 brands, we found we liked the low end stuff as well as any. These strings do not last as long as some, but boy they sound good.

So for quite a while we have bought Martin bulk in sets of 48. We keep stocks of medium, light, and extra light in both 80/20 and PB, but we mostly use the 80/20 mediums and lights. Historically, we have paid around $2 a set, although the last time I bought them I think I paid about $2.25. The one exception is for antique guitars, which are very lightly braced -- we buy special fairly expensive strings for them.

Because the cost is so low, we change them often -- usually as I watch the news at night. So we are off in a corner I guess -- some of the least valuable strings on some of the most

valuable guitars. It works for us.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Well, as strange as it may seem, we actually play all these guitars, albeit some far more than others. We play out at jams and shows perhaps 2-5 times a week (we are now retired). For us, participating in, and experiencing, these musical opportunities are also an ongoing opportunity to play and experience our instruments. As we cycle through the instruments as part of this process, we will generally restring the instruments before we take them out.

Up until maybe 15 years ago, we tried lots of different brands and strings. As a result of that, we came eventually decided that (1) long life coated strings generally did not sound quite as good as traditional strings, (2) we love 80/20 on mahogany guitars and (3) we found PB and 80/20 about equal for rosewood and maple. These are subjective and probably acquired tastes, so we don't recommend them to others -- but for us it works. After studying a number of different 80/20 brands, we found we liked the low end stuff as well as any. These strings do not last as long as some, but boy they sound good.

So for quite a while we have bought Martin bulk in sets of 48. We keep stocks of medium, light, and extra light in both 80/20 and PB, but we mostly use the 80/20 mediums and lights. Historically, we have paid around $2 a set, although the last time I bought them I think I paid about $2.25. The one exception is for antique guitars, which are very lightly braced -- we buy special fairly expensive strings for them.

Because the cost is so low, we change them often -- usually as I watch the news at night. So we are off in a corner I guess -- some of the least valuable strings on some of the most

valuable guitars. It works for us.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Thanks for the reply, Tom.

I find that truly fascinating - all those guitars, but all those strings and work!

It is great to get a peek at the 'inner workings' of running a multitude of guitars, bass's and others. I am sure others would be glad to hear more of these stories....

BluesKing777.

Archived