Gibson Brands Forums

I'm learning to play the Uke!!!

onewilyfool

I'm still playing it like a guitar, but I'm learning....how many of you play ukes!!!????

Yep..I play one. Although more recently I play a 6 string Uke (made by Yamaha called a guitarele. Same size as a Uke only with 6 strings. $99 at Sam Ash. T Its like a mini classical guitar. Very cool. There's also a lot of more expensive 6 string uke's out there. Not too sure true uke players consider the 6 string ukes to be actual ukes, but that territorialism goes on among musicians in every conceivable way...so, its nothing to worry about. Its just a 6 string uke in my book.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

[image removed for edit]

Ukes ("Ooks") are a great way to switch gears in the middle of a set of guitar music, or fill in for mando parts. They are also a good instrument for late-night use.

The little guy on the left (above) is the Kala Concert, & the game-changer on the right is the Kala (Road Toad) U-Bass; hilariously close to an upright bass sound that fits in the front seat of the car. Just get a small digital bass amp & you're set. Traditional (read "bluegrass") types (slightly)less likely to form a lynch mob if you show up with one of these looking for an electric outlet. It's natural finish & guitar-like looks can sneak under many a radar screen.

The following youtubes are what got me hooked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNPx6RS8PiM

and..(eventually infectious bass @ t = 3:05)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUj7B2nePJ0

I just started this past year and have the same problem. I've bought a few books and need to utilize the top string a little better.

I love playing it late at night when everything's quiet.

Here's my 30-40's Martin T1

IMG_0052-1.jpg

And how can one show the love for the Ukes without this gem (thanks to Subarude for the link many moons ago)?:

Awesome! Those Kala bass ukes are something else!

And then, of course, there's always Jake Shimabukuro, who takes Harrison to another level.......

This is the one I got used locally, for Christmas. VERY nice sound, and quite nice looking, I think. Nice re-chargable pickup too.......I got the Tenor, little bigger for my big fingers......(You know what they say about big hands??....Big hands, big.....gloves)

http://www.nalu-ukulele.com/ukes/hokua/hokua-tenor-cutaway-wpickup-g#gallery

This is the one I got used locally, for Christmas. VERY nice sound, and quite nice looking, I think. Nice re-chargable pickup too.......I got the Tenor, little bigger for my big fingers......(You know what they say about big hands??....Big hands, big.....gloves)

http://www.nalu-ukul...ickup-g#gallery

I bought this Anuenue Oahu Koa III Tenor last year, got the bug then found and old Martin

http://www.anuenue-uke.com/html_version/#frame_ukulele_18

I've been playing uke for about 7 years now. Started with a baritone Bushman Jenny and realized that thing was not worth crap. And that company's rep is far from stellar when it comes to fixing things or owning up to issues. Then I got the real deal with a Kamaka 6 string tenor. It was like going to heaven getting this uke. Bright, punchy tone and wonderful intonation. Very fun instrument to play. I was glad I got away from bariton uke and learned the new chord positions. When tuned to GCEA, the chord shapes are the same as a guitar capoed on 5. And it's hard to play the uke and not smile. I am teaching my sister uke in exchange for yoga lessons. One bit of serenity for another.

DSCF0433.jpg

Good for you. Boola, boola. My favorite little music store (the owner by the way actually played bass behind Tiny Tim for a bit and has the photo to prove it has a great uke collection - all the way from some real nice vintage stuff to modern el cheapos. He could not give them away until that kid showed up on youtube just playing the heck out of a uke. Now they are flying out of the store. My personal favorite is the resonator uke he has in.

I don't know anything about ukes, but that guy's prices make my head spin.

Come to think of it, my sister bought a uke from a violinmaker's shop in Mittenwald, Austria back in the mid 1950's. It was the first stringed instrument I ever played as an eight-year-old kid. I bet she still has it somewhere.

Might be worth looking for, in light of the modern uke frenzy......

Yep..I play one. Although more recently I play a 6 string Uke (made by Yamaha called a guitarele. Same size as a Uke only with 6 strings. $99 at Sam Ash. T Its like a mini classical guitar. Very cool. There's also a lot of more expensive 6 string uke's out there. Not too sure true uke players consider the 6 string ukes to be actual ukes, but that territorialism goes on among musicians in every conceivable way...so, its nothing to worry about. Its just a 6 string uke in my book.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Is that tuned like a guitar then?

Here is a neat little guitar I have. I think they are called "Terz" guitars. This one is a Tacoma Papoose (no longer made), same size as a baritone Uke, tuned A to A OR, same as a guitar capoed on the 5th fret.These are a blast to play. Bottom 4 strings are same as a uke, so can play along with the Uke-aphiles.

IMG_0050.jpg

Archived