Gibson Brands Forums

Would you make this trade????

onewilyfool

Well, I am a fan of the D-18, and the GE guitars are special. Plus since I am a J-45 fanatic anyway, yes I would make the trade. But like the fellow above said, depends on if you have a hankering for a D-18. That one is nice. Not too too wild about the pickguard because it isn't really what they put on them in the "Golden Era", but that is easily fixed.

No way! The D18 dude needs to sweeten that deal with some cash ($700-$1000), IMHO.

The Martin D-18GE retails for around $3,300 if I'm not mistaken. From a pure price standpoint, the Martin has the higher price tag, so I don't see where the GE owner would need to sweeten the deal.

That D18GE is overpriced. I've seen used many times at the UMGF for as low as $1750 to no more then $2200.

The norm for a GE used is $1900-$2000 !

I feel a J45 TV used is in the $1900-$2000 range, so it seems like a fair trade.

While the price points are similar, the Martin has a leg up for several reasons. 1) It's closer to vintage specs (dead on vintage neck & appts vs Gibson mish-mash). 2) Adi vs sitka (worth a couple hudnred right there. 3) Martin vs Gibson (on this forum that's a bug, but it's generally considered a feature. You know, quality fit and finish, refined tone, yada). Long as you like the sound of the thing and the big honking neck.

While the price points are similar, the Martin has a leg up for several reasons. 1) It's closer to vintage specs (dead on vintage neck & appts vs Gibson mish-mash). 2) Adi vs sitka (worth a couple hudnred right there.

3) Martin vs Gibson (on this forum that's a bug, but it's generally considered a feature. You know, quality fit and finish, refined tone, yada). Long as you like the sound of the thing and the big honking neck.

Well I don't have one Martin but I've played both. D18GE is a great guitar! But in reality the comparison should be to the legend. That being said I'd buy the D18 because the legend is way overpriced IMO

Archived