Gibson Brands Forums

Great sounding Gibson

davenumber2

That guitar is very much like Ol' Fred's late-50's CW in every way. Those particular strings seem a little brighter in the top end than average, but it's a great example of the late-50's slope J sound.

Very nice, any way you look at it.

Dave ,

thanks !! what a gem , they had a 1957 lefty @ Jacksons rare guitars in australia a while ago but then they shutdown the guitar store because there was all kinds of crazy stuff going on ( most say the owner wasn't an honest guy) ... I would have loved to play that lefty =)

JC

Lovely sound there from this late 50's CW

i wonder..and expect..that the open tuning he is using is adding somewhat to the tone..giving it more warmth against the highs

sounds really nice..

Am I correct in thinking the CW is basically a Hummingbird without the bling ?

( god knows why EA insists on calling his a HB when they sound this good :P heheh )

He switches to standard tuning about halfway through. These 50's CW's were round shouldered like a J-45/50. Sometime in the 60's they went to square shoulders like the Hummingbird.

yeah of course that what be a main difference right there ...:)

yes when he goes to standard tuning..you hear a marked difference...and he is playing a semi tone flat in both i beleive

still great sounding guitar [thumbup]

Lovely sound there from this late 50's CW

Am I correct in thinking the CW is basically a Hummingbird without the bling ?

( god knows why EA insists on calling his a HB when they sound this good :P heheh )

The round-shouldered CW like this one is essentially an SJ natural. The Country Western monniker came in sometime in the late 50's, and the inside label acquired a rope border to celebrate its "Western-ness".

The 'Bird has always been a square dread. Sometime in the early 60's--later than this guitar, and after the 'Bird was introduced--both the SJ and the CW acquired the same square-dread body as the 'Bird.

This round-shoulder CW, and its contemporaneous 'burst SJ brother, are basically blinged-out J-45/J-50's.

That guitar is very much like Ol' Fred's late-50's CW in every way. Those particular strings seem a little brighter in the top end than average, but it's a great example of the late-50's slope J sound.

Very nice, any way you look at it.

Does kinda look familiar, although not quite as rough around the edges. Brightness is prob a result of strings. Mine is usually wearing Martin SP's 11-52

Archived