Gibson Brands Forums

Atlas Shrugged...

Murph

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the state of North Carolina, our newly elected Republican governor is going to pull state funding to UNC-Chapel Hill (my alma mater) if it doesn't demonstrate that the curriculum is oriented toward satisfying the job market, i.e. creating a more technical orientation and becoming less "liberal arts" oriented. My university already is highly respected for the research carried out there in the areas of medicine and chemistry, and also has top notch schools of Law, Economics and Business, Dentistry, English, and Journalism. Were it not for my time there, I would never have been exposed to classical literature, ancient history, and fine arts. Our fine governor wants to change much of that.

All of this talk of self-education, logic, literature, philosophy, and concern for the betterment of mankind is fine for those who are lucky enough to have the time, opportunity, and inclination. I think we should all have a goal to better ourselves, but most people are just trying to get by in the real world.

Ziggy...

The problem with "the real world" is that it is filled with choices. It's not just a GOP governor, it's "today." I hear the same from both sides of political aisles where I live. Alas, since my old friend the classics prof at the state's "intellectual" university died, I doubt anyone has read Plutarch there, nor learned the lessons held therein.

Better (or worse) I watch it play out almost every day in my job. What of "mass communications" grads who can't write a decent news release, take a photo, craft a graphic or tell you how government works in connection with whatever job they have? That's a college degree?

Or, just out of high school one can, if trained as in a high school program here, go right to work at $40 an hour or so welding pipe in the oil patch.

Then what might that kid do otherwise? Will that young and well-trained welder chase pipelines the rest of his life, or study more to learn to open his own shop - or perhaps become a welding teacher or oil field foreman because he has learned to combine skill with business and management ability and better ways of problem solving through logic?

I run somewhere around a 70-80 hour work week and ... golly, I still manage to play guitar, learn new music and hop back to read stuff that trips my trigger intellectually. And have some personal time as well. Yet I'm just a worn out old man lacking a fraction of the energy that once I had...

m

Milod...I was gone for 22 years living in California and Arizona. Since I've been back in my hometown I've mostly worked out of town in neighboring states, so many of the young "up-and-comers" and I are total strangers. The other ol' dogs are in the same boat as myself. Mostly we have given in to benefit gigs for the local food bank and deceased fellow musicians. (BTW Some of the best music I've heard in years.)

Now that we are mostly seasoned players its not so "frantic" on stage. We are all comfortable in our skin and concentrate on making each other look good.

A few still haven't learned to "lay out", but they probably never will. These are the folks we try very hard to avoid when looking for players for paid casuals. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here. The money we earn is for moving the equipment...the music is free.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously on Animal Farm? Great. I just haven't heard it mentioned in decades....

I still think times have changed some. <grin>

Actually we teach Animal Farm in my school to gifted 8th graders. Works quite well in fact. As for Rand, we also generally teach Anthem, wherein she puts forth much of Atlas Shrugged's philosophy in a terse 90 or so pages. [biggrin]

Archived