Gibson Brands Forums

JB Guitar takes a strumming

duluthdan

Hey duluthdan. How did you pick up on the fact that it is a Jackson Browne model? Don't doubt you in the least, just curious. The sound sure is unique and amazing.

Honky Dog

Headstock is clean, fretboard is wide, 12 frets, deep body, the bridge, the rosette. Here's a closer look.

Headstock is clean, fretboard is wide, 12 frets, deep body, the bridge, the rosette. Here's a closer look.

Thanks. Yeah, I just watched the whole video. I noticed the depth, tuners, and fretboard inlay. Man, it sounds amazing even with a capo.

I'm in the market for a new guitar. Very tempting.

I saw the JB for the first time a couple of weeks ago..it looked so fat... I didnt bother asking for it to try out with that price..$5995 aprox there is no way Id remotely consider that.(And I cant stand Jackson Browne,maybe if they changed the name to Kate Winslet)

Braz Rosewood guitars can be found, even new for that price.

(English Walnut...mmm...maybe used.)

The wood is rare.

I saw the JB for the first time a couple of weeks ago..it looked so fat... I didnt bother asking for it to try out with that price..$5995 aprox there is no way Id remotely consider that.(And I cant stand Jackson Browne,maybe if they changed the name to Kate Winslet)

Braz Rosewood guitars can be found, even new for that price.

(English Walnut...mmm...maybe used.)

The wood is rare.

I hear ye, for a 12 fret dred body with a fat neck it's just quite simply massively overpriced, how much of that has to do with JB's cut who knows.... but like yourself I've no vested interest in JB or any aspect of the guitar due to being JB related. I love the specs, size, depth and nut width and totally want one, but I'd be happy with a generic non-sig model for a lot less money.

They should be knocking these out in line with J-45's with less pricey woods accordingly and they'd sell a lot more.

That $5,995 price is probably the Model A with the stereo Trance Amulet system factory installed. Those pickup systems run about $500, add another $200 for install (I imagine)... and get yerself over to the Trading Post section, there's a JB for sale for $3,000, and its had over 1,500 views, so there's folks looking. Not a bad deal at all IMHO.

Nice guitar, very light build, but i expected the wide nut to be backed by a thicker neck. I thought the neck was shaped too thin & would have been easier on the hand to have more meat on that neck.

I think the JB has the Luthier's Choice neck profile, which is the same as the one on my Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue (except the SJ is 14-fret). The nut is quite wide--over 1 3/4"--and if the neck were correspondingly deep, you've be hard-pressed to get a normal-sized hand around it, especially if you fret bass notes with your thumb in the old-timey blues style. The total neck mass is probably pretty similar to a standard neck profile, but the neck back is flatter than a "conventional" V-neck like the J-45 TV.

Great sound, thanks for sharing!

It's the best guitar I've ever owned (the JB). I picked up a model A for less than $4200. Whoever pays $6k for it hasn't done their homework.

The guitar's responsiveness is just incredible. It's the only gutiar I've ever owned that I can say that handles a flatpick just as easily, and cleanly, as it does fingerstyle. I know I couldn't be more pleased.

I think the JB has the Luthier's Choice neck profile, which is the same as the one on my Fuller's 1943 SJ re-issue (except the SJ is 14-fret). The nut is quite wide--over 1 3/4"--and if the neck were correspondingly deep, you've be hard-pressed to get a normal-sized hand around it, especially if you fret bass notes with your thumb in the old-timey blues style. The total neck mass is probably pretty similar to a standard neck profile, but the neck back is flatter than a "conventional" V-neck like the J-45 TV.

I guess that i meant to say that it felt too flattened out. I thought that neck could have been a bit rounder, not a real V, but rounded out V, like a full C, and would have fit in the hand better.

Archived