Gibson Brands Forums

Happy 70th to my hero and mentor

bonzoboy

Today (or tomorrow-depending on which person you believe) would have marked the 70th birthday of one of the two people who inspired me to become a musician,George Harrison. It was solely because of George and John that I decided at the tender age of 9 that I was going to become a musician and nothing or nobody was going to stand in my way.I owe so much to both of them that I could never repay them in 10 lifetimes.Happy Birthday George-you have enough company with you now to be blowing the hinges off the Pearly Gates today.

Happy Birthday George! He's up there somewhere with John, Roy Orbison, all of his guitar heroes (Carl Perkins, etc). Hard to believe he would be 70. I remember the day he died. That was a bad day for me. He is also the reason I'm a musician (notice I said MUSICIAN, not lead guitar player).

PS, it's also my birthday, so I've always felt a special kinship with the man.

Happy birthday Kaleb-you certainly share your birthday with a real shining star.I share my birthday-Mar. 15-with Ry Cooder,Sly Stone,Lightnin' Hopkins,Phil Lesh,Dee Snider,Mike Love,Terrence Trent d'Arby,Bret Michaels.I'd rather share my birthday with George than all of them put together-except for Lightnin' of course.

Happy Birthday to George. One of the most under rated, finest guitar players, and song writers of all time. Your songs on Abbey Road were incredible. And your part in co-writing, and rhythm guitar playing in Cream's, "Badge", monumental. RIP L'Angelo Misterioso.

Yep, today is one of the days valuable for music, good music [thumbup] . Happy Birthday, George! And Kaleb, Happy Birthday to you and fellows , all who love the Beatles and music in general!

In birthdays it is desirable to show something,I think, beautiful or interesting. I have found an unusual song version of George’s Something performed by Elvis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz-_S-v2p6s&feature=player_embedded

It is unusual that the song tonality is transposed down by 3.5, and the well-known guitar solo of George in the middle is absent (I remember, once I was studying it). However the song remains beautiful as before.

George Harrison plays a Great "Slide" guitar (the first solo break), in his inimitable style, on this song, with Alvin Lee! Awesome song!

Happy Birthday, George!! We MISS you!!

I just don't think he ever really got enough credit for just how good his slide playing was. Very subtle, but very effective as well, and like all his solo's, tailored to the songs rather than showing off.

I just don't think he ever really got enough credit for just how good his slide playing was. Very subtle, but very effective as well, and like all his solo's, tailored to the songs rather than showing off.

That is a good point about George's guitar work fitting the song. [thumbup] That's also why Ringo Starr was is not considered one of the top rated drummers as well. His play fit the songs.

That is a good point about George's guitar work fitting the song. [thumbup] That's also why Ringo Starr was is not considered one of the top rated drummers as well. His play fit the songs.

But he had great swing and grooves, and was never boring. Charlie Watts on the other hand.....Bores me whenever I hear live Stones...

Indeed, This is a successful characteristic for George’s guitar playing closer to the song. This is one of the reasons, in fact, why the Beatles have 100% of hits among their songs, instead of 5 or 10 as it usually at other bands. Obviously, they with John were masters of this skill of playing for the song, (and not for to show himself one) and successfully supplemented each other's when somebody of them was in singing.

Archived