Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson, Martin, Taylor owners

brannon67

I play my Martin D-42 mostly these days (yes, I know, hersey), but my favorite still remains my old rosewood Gibson. It has a darker sound than the Martin, more fitting for the blues perhaps. The string action is near perfect, and the whole thing just feels right in the hand. What's most surprising to guitar aficionados (and to me too!) is that it's a much despised Heritage.

Good topic for me currently.

I was looking for another acoustic and decided on a D28.

Martin seems to be having some quality issues lately with finish cracking around the bridge corners and also with increasing the size of their bridge pin holes to allow the pins to seat lower but in the process leaving the pins overly loose in the holes.

Until they sort out these quality issues, it's a shame to say but Martin has lost my confidence but more importantly, they lost my money.

Ray ill tell ya the 2012 D18s are great they went back to the vintage forward shifted braces. Much better then the prior ones.

I picked up one of the 2012 Vintage-Heritage model Martin's the other day at Guitar Center, I don't think that was the model name but it was called something like that. Martin has basically acquired a bunch of there old guitars, taken the top's off and incorporated them into new bodies etc. Seems silly but it was a nice sounding guitar non-the-less. I just had a bad experience with Martin's customer service with the one I got so I don't like them now but like I said an old one (whole) may be a different thing.

I have 3 Gibbys, and I pretty much play them all equally. Well maybe not as equally as I think. Sometimes I'll play the same one for several days

in a row before reaching for a different case. I think it just depends on what kinda mood I'm in.

It's funny, because sometimes I'll grab a case thinking I'm in the mood to play the walnut AJ , then all of the sudden before I even pluck a

chord, I'll put it back and grab the J45TV and play it.

I have a J-45, a J-50, a Santa Cruz D/PW and an Eastman LG clone in my main rotation. The Santa Cruz has become one awesome instrument but since I've acquired the Gibsons it just doesn't get played anymore. I'm just not a rosewood fan at all, I've learned. I'm going to sell it soon. The remaining three are in playing rotation and that keeps me humidifying regularly too. I'm pretty happy with my lineup. About the only thing I lust after is a 12 fret SJ.

The Santa Cruz has become one awesome instrument but since I've acquired the Gibsons it just doesn't get played anymore. I'm just not a rosewood fan at all, I've learned. I'm going to sell it soon.

Yeah, I hear ya -- I'm the say way. As I've gotten older, I've leaned more toward mahogany and away from rosewood. My Martin HD-28 hardly ever makes it out of the case anymore -- great guitar, but the bass heavy rosewood just isn't my thing anymore.

I have a J-45, a J-50, a Santa Cruz D/PW and an Eastman LG clone in my main rotation. The Santa Cruz has become one awesome instrument but since I've acquired the Gibsons it just doesn't get played anymore. I'm just not a rosewood fan at all, I've learned. I'm going to sell it soon. The remaining three are in playing rotation and that keeps me humidifying regularly too. I'm pretty happy with my lineup. About the only thing I lust after is a 12 fret SJ.

I have a Santa Cruz D12 slothead it's truly amazing. Something about 12 frets I love

LG-1 - Use for slide

LG-2 and Martin 0015M - I play daily for both finger picking and light strumming. Sometimes I find it hard choosing between them. The Martin is super warm and articulate where as the Gibby is so balanced had this energetic vibe going on when you get a groove going.

Sometimes use the Martin for slide too.

Archived