Gibson Brands Forums

Strap locks

Super24

I think you are missing some parts.

Thanks guys! When I bought my guitar, the case didn't have the usual package of stuff in there. I should of mentioned it at the time but I was excited about the guitar. It just had the locks shown above and a manaul which looks like it is actually for the Robot guitar.

Thanks....My Tele came with Schallers. At this point I'm just a basement musician so I never used them. Now that I look at them, they look like a quality piece. Ya, the ones shown above are definetly missing then end that screw into the guitar.

OK you've figured it out by now, but those are the strap part of the Dunlop straplocks. The studs come installed on the redesigned 2008 Standards, so it's possible these got mixed into the case candy by mistake.

I have both Dunlop and Schaller straplocks on my guitars. Some Fenders come with Schallers; with studs that are basically fat cylinders with a groove it's a little hard to use a non-locking strap on them if you forget to bring your lock-equipped strap along. The Dunlop "dual designs" make it possible to use a regular strap but the button is so huge that this might not be practical.

It comes down to whether you want to have to pull a pin (Schaller) or push a button (Dunlop) to release the strap.

Notice how door handles on cars don't have thumb-buttons anymore? The concern was the door would open if you were side-swiped just right. So if there's any street racing going on onstage you might be concerned about the Dunlops. I don't have any worries about either brand but I can respect the opinions of those who are worried about the Dunlop button.

This is what happened to the straplock screw when I was runnin a test with DUNLOP's Crappylocks

foto8gw6.jpg

I was holdin an old squier by the strap and throwing it up and down, side to side, completely wild (lol)

The crappy screw is worth nothing. Thankfully I was smart enough to test it before assembling into my SG...

Regards

Thanks for the replies! I bought and installed some Schallers. At first I noticed the new screws were about .25" longer. I figured, I'll just use the original screws. The heads on them were too big. Then I thought I would have to modify the existing holes for the longer screws. NOPE, screwed them right in and all is well.

Well, watch the Schallers too, after a few years, the little "U" that goes over the button will start twisting on the strap so that it's always open toward the ground, leaving only the pin to hold the guitar on.

After my friend's PRS took a dive, then my other friend's LP went loose, my sister's bass flopped off...I spent over a year fussing with mine, afraid to let go of the guitar for a second. I switched to Dunlops, which are rock-solid and have given me no trouble at all. Of course, Dunlop says you need to keep the the little ball & socket part lubed, but a little squirt of WD40 seems a small price to me now that I can relax and just play.

Obviously, your mileage may vary...but that's my point. Neither Schallers nor Dunlop are the best solution for everyone. And neither are "crap". I'm just sayin'.

Archived